Photo

Using Your Sa Qualifications In The States - Do They Care?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Doepie123

Doepie123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Home decor, gardening, renovating, pets, reading, exercising, cooking
  • SA Location:Johannesburg
  • Language:English

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:34 AM

Hi All

I am a qualified CA(SA) and my husband is a construction project manager.

I am just wondering what the chances are of us finding a job using our qualifications or in our fields. the only thing is i dont want to work in an auditing firm and would prefer to stay in commerce and industry where i have been for the last 5 years.

Can anyone recommend companies in California where I could perhaps look for employment that have hired any other CA(SA)s? or perhaps chat to other CAs living working anywhere in the USA?

My husband will also need to do a conversion course given that the Americans are big on wood. Is there anyone else that he could chat too as well about where to do this and what the construction industry is like at the moment. He also has experience in retail finding tenants for shopping centres and doing tenant installations for the big SA retailers.

Thanks so much
L.

#2 Knersus

Knersus

Vlakte bewoner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, outdoors, computers and of course farming...
  • Landed:Jun 2006
  • SA Location:Musina, Limpopo
  • Language:Afrikaans/English

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:20 PM

if I may ask...why California?

If I can add to my question....California is probably the most expensive state in the country, so I would think if someone is going to start over, at least they would pick a cheaper place in the country?

Edited by Knersus, 22 December 2011 - 03:10 PM.

#3 Superkruz

Superkruz

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Landed:Feb 2012
  • SA Location:Pretoria

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:48 AM

I will be following this post with great interest as I am a CA in South Africa and Australia and have my flight booked for the US for early February. I will also be job-hunting soon and fortunately already have a Green Card.

Edited by Superkruz, 22 December 2011 - 03:49 AM.

#4 Doepie123

Doepie123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Home decor, gardening, renovating, pets, reading, exercising, cooking
  • SA Location:Johannesburg

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:16 AM

Hi Guys

California because I have friends there and San Diego has always appealed to me. My uncle lived there for many years and I loved it. Although my husband and I are planning a LSD trip (not that kind of LSD :) and Atlanta is also on my agenda. Any other suggestions about places with a reasonable cost of living?

Superkruz, lucky you! How did you get your green card if I may ask? I have heard from friends that our best bet is to try english/canadian/australian potential employers (banks, funds etc) or alternatively depending on your background the funds too as there are a lot of ex South Africans working there.

what is the job market there like now in your opinion? i have been doing a lot of reading and speaking to people but its not quite the same unless you are in the market yourself. some people are lucky and some not. and by no means am i relying on my qualification to get me a job. when it comes to things like moving countries i guess there comes 90% preparation and 10% faith.

Good luck and let me know what your experience is like, it sounds like you will be there before me - where you are heading?

L.

#5 Superkruz

Superkruz

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Landed:Feb 2012

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:54 PM

Superkruz, lucky you! How did you get your green card if I may ask?

I was one of the lucky few to get a Green Card via the Diversity Visa lottery.

what is the job market there like now in your opinion? i have been doing a lot of reading and speaking to people but its not quite the same unless you are in the market yourself. some people are lucky and some not. and by no means am i relying on my qualification to get me a job. when it comes to things like moving countries i guess there comes 90% preparation and 10% faith.

I am off to Boston but in my case it is 10% preparation and 90% faith. I do not have a clue about job prospects - I'm just going to wing it and see how things work out for me.

#6 Spekkies

Spekkies

Spekkies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, fishing, target shooting, hunting
  • Landed:April 2006
  • Language:Afrikaans/English

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

Doepie, It is not just a question of working where YOU want to work. For a H-1B visa (a visa that allows to work) you first need to apply for an I-140 (job certification). What is certified by the Dept of Labour is that there is No American suitable for the job. Your employer will have to advertise your job in at least 2 local newspapers and do a posting at the workplace where everyone is able to see it. And uou must pray that no amefican apply for that post. Many people that I know had to move away from the bigger cities and towns to small towns in the bundu's to obtain this certification. You are also limited with the number of applications you may submit. ( I think it is 3)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users