Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
evyn

Has Anyone Started A Business In The Usa?

4 posts in this topic

Has anyone started a successful business in the USA? If so, would you care to share your experience? I am considering starting a technical writing consultancy, but I'm a pretty rotten businessman, so hearing from people who have "done it" will be inspirational and instructive.

In general, each State has different rules in terms of taxes, etc. In principle it would be the same as starting a business in SA with different types of entities with advantages and disadvantages. Some of the protection one has in SA does not work the same way in the US, though. You would certainly be best advised to seek a CPA in your state as even they have to accredited, per state, to have a practising license. This just confirms for me that there are different rules.

My mom opened a shop in Fort Lauderdale, so it is not entirely out of the question to go this route, especially considering your current employment predicament.

Hope this bit of info helps.

Oops, forgot to mention, it didn't work out for her at the end. I am sure though this had something to do with her marketing strategies and the product she was selling. Each business has different approaches and strategies, so don't let that put you off.

Edited by Homer

Has anyone started a successful business in the USA? If so, would you care to share your experience? I am considering starting a technical writing consultancy, but I'm a pretty rotten businessman, so hearing from people who have "done it" will be inspirational and instructive.

Just a caution, my husband spent a fair amount of time doing mentorship consulting to small businesses. The main problem these guys faced was what you hint at - very good at what they did technically , but didn't know anything about business or running a business. I can ask him what he'd suggest but certainly some courses - and these days you may well be able to find good ones free online through Coursera etc - on things like basics of finance, finance for non-financial managers, specific things aimed at small entrepreneurs etc that point out potential pitfalls, etc.

Fwiw, my dad started a successful business, about 23 years ago... Has its ups and downs with the economy but in general still going strong. He had run his own similar business in SA too before he went though...funnily enough less successful in SA...!

Edited by SJ27

Thanks for the responses. The law/regulations/tax etc is the easy part of running a business. It's that "entrepreneurial spirit" that's the hard part. ;)