22 posts in this topic

Good morning,

I am new to this Forum site and I just want to commend the members for the vast amount of information and assistance on this site.

I travelled to the USA in April 2014. I travelled with 6 friends. During our trip the 7 of us visited a few States and loved every moment of being in the USA.

After the trip, all of us decided to enter the DV Lottery when it opened in October 2014. I was the only one who actually entered the DV Lottery in the end - my friends were lazy and forgetful. At the time I didn't think much of it because I did not know if it was real and what it would mean. After I entered I forgot about it and only checked if I was successful again in May 2015. There were some issues with the system initially and I could not view my status. I tried to check every day but with no luck. On the fourth day after the results were supposed to be available I checked again just before going to bed. I was about to forget the entire thing and just move on with my life when I saw the following message:

"You have been randomly selected for further processing in the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program for the fiscal year 2016 (October 1, 2015 to September 30, 2016)."

I did not know about this forum therefore I had no one to help me with advise, preparation etc.
When I found this forum sometime around August 2015 I was super relieved. I only had the DV Lottery website as guidance on which documents to get in place. I immediately applied for my unabridged birth certificate and police clearance (not knowing that the interview will only be scheduled much later - I applied for it again recently to ensure it is less than 6 months old).
I have a very high case number AF43xxx. Therefore I truly hope that I will get the opportunity to go for an interview. It looks like the African numbers are progressing very slowly.
Does anyone know of someone who also had a high case number in the past and were successful?

I have a good job in SA but I do not want to give up this opportunity to go to the USA. I believe this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I studied Chemical Engineering and I have 5 years working experience.

Any engineers that may have good advice as to where will be the best to apply for work???

With the low oil price I am currently just grateful to have a job in SA. But I believe the USA has ample opportunities. Will it be easy to get a job in the USA as an engineer?

I would love to travel a bit in the USA before settling down to work full time again. But who knows.

That is my story in short.

Thanks again for this forum - it sure puts my mind at easy to see how many SA'ns are living in the USA.

Kind regards,

G

Hi Gieds,

Congrats on being selected. Your number is not that high, some have 99xxx. I do think that you will get an interview just looking at the visa bulletin. Cut-off for June is 34400, you will most likely be in the next group.

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/law-and-policy/bulletin/2016/visa-bulletin-for-may-2016.html

Good luck with the adventure.

I applied for it again recently to ensure it is less than 6 months old).

No need for you to be concerned about this as the birth certificate never "expires" - mine was many years old and it was not an issue at all.

I have a very high case number AF43xxx. Therefore I truly hope that I will get the opportunity to go for an interview. It looks like the African numbers are progressing very slowly.

Does anyone know of someone who also had a high case number in the past and were successful?

In my opinion 43xxx is not a high number at all. I would say it is in the lower end of mid-range number and you will almost certainly get an interview. My number was 73000 and I managed to sneak in.

Hi Gieds!

Welcome and congratulations!

Like the others have already said, not to worry about your number, it's a good mid-range case number that should easily get you an interview before the dreaded September cutoff. Our was in the 64000s and we scraped through easily back in 2012.

As for a career in Chemical Engineering this side of the world, I think you have a pretty good chance of nabbing something over here. Engineers, in general, are in demand and industries that would be looking for chemical engineers are numerous. I found out just the other day that I have a second cousin who was recently sponsored a work visa to work for a company in Idaho as a Chemical Engineer. He starts in July. He has quite a lot more than 5 years experience, but given the need for these skills and any actual engineering experience, I don't think you'll have too much of an issue finding something either. The terrible oil price has been causing havoc in the industry over here too, but I reckon that by the time you get through the whole process, get your visa and are closer to actually seeking employment in the US, things will probably be looking up again.

Otherwise, good luck and keep us all posted as to your progress!

J.

The numbers are all lower than they used to be for AF since Nigeria fell out, but I still think you should get an interview. The highest AF number to be interviewed in DV2015 was 50000, which is lower than those guys above mentioned and also lower than mine was at 51xxx, but if it's similar to last year you should be fine this year.

Then, go. Engineers will always find jobs somewhere.

Edited by SJ27

Congratulations on your draw! I know of people with a 81000 number that got in, so I think you're in good company.

Also an engineer here. The oil & gas industry in Texas is taking strain at the moment, especially the Houston area. But I think you should be able to get something without too much difficulty. The US is a big place as you know and engineers are always in demand.

If I was you and I got accepted, I'd definitely make the move. I used to work at one of the big cellular companies in SA and one of four people there who had won the Green Card within a few years from each other (whom I knew of anyway). Two came; two decided to forfeit theirs, at least one of whom I suspect is regretting it every day since.

Congrats on your selection!

RUN AND DON'T LOOK BACK! lol just kidding... I have entered last year and I am desperately holding all thumbs and toes that I get selected. Either that, or I put myself up as mail order bride **heeeheee**

I agree with all the others above, don't stress about work. Engineers always has work. But don't think twice about going, just go!

Good luck and ENJOY!

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. I appreciate all the feedback.

I am looking forward to this journey and l will keep you posted regarding the progress.

Thanks again! Hope you all have an awesome weekend.

Congrats Gieds - What a wonderful opportunity for you, definitely grab with both hands!

We also have a similar story - travelled around the USA for 6 weeks with my family in 2014/2015 and fell in love with the place. This trip sprurred us on to investigate emigration - we looked at Canada, USA and Australia. We entered the green card lottery when it opened in 2015 and also started the process for an Australia Visa. We have received the Australian visa and are now planning to move in January 2017. My husband has lined up many job interviews In OZ during our validation trip this July so we hope something comes up - he is also an engineer (civil - water resources management & hydrology) I am still hankering after the USA but I am certain we can also be happy in Australia (we know lots of people there)

Good morning,

I am just above the cut-off case number for July (43825).

Therefore I really hope to get an interview in August.

Today I collected my Police Clearance. All documentation are in place now.

Just waiting patiently for an email to go for an interview.

Regards,

G

2 people like this

My number is current for August.

I received my email on Tuesday, 21 June 2016 and my appointment is scheduled for the Thursday, 4 August 2016.

4 people like this

My number is current for August.

I received my email on Tuesday, 21 June 2016 and my appointment is scheduled for the Thursday, 4 August 2016.

Congratulations! Now the fun and excitement is really on! :-)

Congratulations Gieds! That is wonderful news. Keep us posted on your progress.

Good morning,

I would just like to let you all know that I had my interview yesterday and my visa was approved!

Again, I would like to thank you for all the assistance as well as the information on this forum.

Kind regards,

G

3 people like this

Congratulations !! Now the real excitement starts!