Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kelly

Teacher Jobs In Dallas

4 posts in this topic

Hi there,
I am at present a Gr 1 teacher at a private school in Florida, Gauteng, South Africa and am interested in securing a similar teaching position in the USA, in the Dallas area. I have a Bachelors degree in teaching and have four years teaching experience. I have taught Grade 2 for three years, and grade 1, for one year. My husband's family lives in Lantana TX and I would therefore be interested in posts that are close to this area as we would like to live close to them.
Can anybody suggest the best way forward in terms of visas, etc? Best possible agencies that might help?
Thanks very much :)
Kelly

According to this you need a SSN before you can get your teacher certification in Texas, which could make it a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation if you are looking for someone to sponsor you a work visa.

http://tea.texas.gov/Texas_Educators/Certification/Out-of-State_Certification/Certification_Based_on_Credentials_from_another_Country/

I have no practical experience in this though so maybe there's a way around this that someone knows of.

Thanks very much for your feedback, much appreciated. I will have a look into the SSN.

Thanks very much for your feedback, much appreciated. I will have a look into the SSN.

You get assigned a SSN when you enter the country on an immigrant or some form of long stay visa like a work visa - that's why I said it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. I think malamute or someone on the forum mentioned before that sometimes teachers can enter the country on an exchange visa called a J visa, but that's not a permanent one - you may want to look into that as well. It would at least be a foot in the door.

I'm not sure what it's like in Texas, around here the teacher shortage (and there is a big one) seems to be more concentrated in high school (where many schools offer AP courses so many teachers in these high schools need to be able to teach university level content as well).