Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oscar

New Electronics Ban

23 posts in this topic

Sounds like a new electronics ban is going to be announced within the next two weeks on all transatlantic flights from Europe.

All laptops, CD players, electronic readers will have to be checked in with your luggage.  All you will be allowed to take is your cell phone.Looks like we will all have to go back to reading books again!  

Delta has already placed posters at the airport notifying passengers of the new possible restrictions.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are planning on traveling to Houston in September from Cape Town. I have seen the news about the electronics ban for devices no larger than a cell phone. At this stage it is for 8 countries and possibly Europe as well (see link)http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/us-expand-electronics-ban-flights-europe-47001803 . Of the 8 countries Dubai and Qatar is part of the list.

My question is: If we fly from Cape Town with a 3 hour stop over in Dubai or Qatar, (not leaving the airport) -  does this also apply to us or is it just for people that were allowed to leave the airport or resides in these countries? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read somewhere on the internet that passengers on flights to Dubai could use their computers to Dubai, but would have to check in all computers from Dubai to the USA. I don't know if they will take your checked luggage off for you to put you computers back into your luggage. I think this is highly unlikely. The may be placing your electronics in a plastic bag. I'm not sure.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe they have a secure bin where they put in all devices.  Still in the cabin but secured.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, moving2018 said:

I believe they have a secure bin where they put in all devices.  Still in the cabin but secured.

 

There has been a lot of concern about the safety aspect of a large number of lithium batteries in the hold so this would make sense, however, I can imagine the logistics involved in making sure each person gets their correct device back - if just in terms of time - would be a real pain.

 

of course flying in and out of certain countries, and SA is one of them, you have major issues with bags being broken into anyway, now they want you to check expensive electronics!. I lost count of the number of times my bags were broken into on international flights to and from SA, mostly joburg but also once or twice at cape town. Can you imagine the bonanza for ACSA staff...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SJ272 said:

There has been a lot of concern about the safety aspect of a large number of lithium batteries in the hold so this would make sense, however, I can imagine the logistics involved in making sure each person gets their correct device back - if just in terms of time - would be a real pain.

 

of course flying in and out of certain countries, and SA is one of them, you have major issues with bags being broken into anyway, now they want you to check expensive electronics!. I lost count of the number of times my bags were broken into on international flights to and from SA, mostly joburg but also once or twice at cape town. Can you imagine the bonanza for ACSA staff...

SJ272 you have no idea.  I work with this daily and it is a nightmare.  I will say no more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, moving2018 said:

SJ272 you have no idea.  I work with this daily and it is a nightmare.  I will say no more. 

I actually had an SAA guy LAUGH at me once when I got upset about gifts for my daughter having been stolen out of my suitcase (that was brand new and had had the zipper slashed off for them to break in). Needless to say that was the last time I ever flew SAA, happily paying more for their competitors on the few occasions they are actually cheaper. I realize it is ACSA and not SAA employees responsible for the theft but it's the carrier you report to and that attitude was totally unbelievable. 

Edited by SJ272
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

European countries met in Brussels yesterday as they are not quite happy with the new restrictions. There will be another meeting in Washington, DC next week. They mentioned any new restrictions will take a couple of weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New TSA check in changes at 10 Airports within the USA . All electronic equipment larger than a cell phone, has to be unpacked out of your hand luggage and placed in separate plastic trays for scanning. They may also ask you to unpack any large book and some food items.  This is part of a pilot system to see how it works or cause any delays. These rules do not apply if you have passed the TSA Pre - Check program.

These guidelines are separate to the possible electronics ban from European countries.

   

Edited by oscar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-5-16 at 11:13 AM, SJ272 said:

I actually had an SAA guy LAUGH at me once when I got upset about gifts for my daughter having been stolen out of my suitcase (that was brand new and had had the zipper slashed off for them to break in). Needless to say that was the last time I ever flew SAA, happily paying more for their competitors on the few occasions they are actually cheaper. I realize it is ACSA and not SAA employees responsible for the theft but it's the carrier you report to and that attitude was totally unbelievable. 

After a SA bound flight where some of my stuff got missing from the *overhead bin*, I was at the counter to file a complaint. The items that I bought in flight as gifts for my SA family and friends, was neatly packed in different stacks (not in the bag anymore) behind the customer service desk. They had already divvied it up. I pointed at it and said: "That's mine!" I got most of it back, but not all.

#flysaayay

Edited by Nettie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oscar said:

New TSA check in changes at 10 Airports within the USA . All electronic equipment larger than a cell phone, has to be unpacked out of your hand luggage and placed in separate plastic trays for scanning. They may also ask you to unpack any large book and some food items.  This is part of a pilot system to see how it works or cause any delays. These rules do not apply if you have passed the TSA Pre - Check program.

These guidelines are separate to the possible electronics ban from European countries.

   

I don't quite get how this is new. I have always had to put my electronics in a separate bin and I've been on numerous international flights between SA, CA and US. The big carry on bag, well, that will be a challenge for me because I pack my purse as thick and heavy as I can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some passengers may end up having 3-6 plastic trays of their electronic goods, books and food items. This is bound to slow things down a lot. There is a list of the pilot airports available. The main big airport on the pilot program  is LAX. Once the pilot program is working it will roll out to more airports.

My best advice is to apply for the TSA Pre Check program.

The TSA Pre Check and Global entry program does not  help you on International Departures as there is no Pre check on International flights.   

 

Edited by oscar
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nettie said:

I don't quite get how this is new. I have always had to put my electronics in a separate bin and I've been on numerous international flights between SA, CA and US. The big carry on bag, well, that will be a challenge for me because I pack my purse as thick and heavy as I can.

Here you normally only take out your laptop, not tablets (in the U.K. you usually need to take tablets out too as I recall).

Anyway, that $100 investment we made in global entry (it's even less just for TSA pre-check) just becomes more and more worth it with all this!  It's already so worthwhile ...we bypassed so many long long queues already locally. As oscar says will still get screened for bags for international flights - but it really speeds things up on reentry.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SJ272 said:

Here you normally only take out your laptop, not tablets (in the U.K. you usually need to take tablets out too as I recall).

I recently flew Air Canada and they were renting tablets in flight. Perhaps they are moving towards this. I don't like to check my laptop because things get lost, even on Air Canada. My daughter lost hers a few years back on a flight from Germany to the USA, I can't remember the airline, but I think it was Phillidelphia airport. At the time it was the worst airport for lost luggage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0