Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moving2018

MEDICATIONS

4 posts in this topic

Hi All.  Just want to double check.  We are allowed to bring 6 months of prescription meds, sealed and with letter from doctor.  Diabetic and disclosed in medicals.  TIA

Hi moving2018

I'm sure you have checked out the official FDA (Food and Drug Administration) page.  There they say 'rule of thumb = 90 days".  So there isn't an absolute, and they could say that double that amount is too much, as they say that for longer than 90 days you could have additional sent to you.

I would bring it  - highly unlikely they won't let it all in with the Dr's note etc.b Worst case = they confiscate excessive medications.

Note that meds should be in original containers and cannot be generic versions of FDA approved drugs.   See:  https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm484154.htm

Good luck with the upcoming imminent move - and enjoy the adventure!

On 8/18/2017 at 4:18 PM, Malamute said:

Hi moving2018

I'm sure you have checked out the official FDA (Food and Drug Administration) page.  There they say 'rule of thumb = 90 days".  So there isn't an absolute, and they could say that double that amount is too much, as they say that for longer than 90 days you could have additional sent to you.

I would bring it  - highly unlikely they won't let it all in with the Dr's note etc.b Worst case = they confiscate excessive medications.

Note that meds should be in original containers and cannot be generic versions of FDA approved drugs.   See:  https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm484154.htm

Good luck with the upcoming imminent move - and enjoy the adventure!

Thank you so much.  I got the 3 months on FDA as well, however for tourist visits only.  Could not find anything concrete on permanent move.  I agree, All disclosed in sealed medical docs, will be sealed and luckily my husband does not take well on generic, so all FDA approved.  Great.  Yes, we are 4 days from moving out of our house.  Thank you so much for well wishes.  We really are so ready to leave SA.  Sadly, it is just getting worse by the day.

4 hours ago, moving2018 said:

Thank you so much.  I got the 3 months on FDA as well, however for tourist visits only.  Could not find anything concrete on permanent move.  I agree, All disclosed in sealed medical docs, will be sealed and luckily my husband does not take well on generic, so all FDA approved.  Great.  Yes, we are 4 days from moving out of our house.  Thank you so much for well wishes.  We really are so ready to leave SA.  Sadly, it is just getting worse by the day.

It's generally illegal for a US resident to import prescription drugs, which is probably why you can't find something on that. Everything else I've seen refers to 90 days as a guideline. Not being a resident till you arrive I'm sure you can make the argument for bringing them in to begin with, but you may have some problem with the quantity. I can't recall if the customs form specifically asks about medication.

1 person likes this