Sign in to follow this  
Teresa

California Dreamin'

Hi all

We've been living in GA for the past 6 years and recently visited the LA-area for the first time. We loved it - reminded us of Cape Town, the weather was delicious - specially after the humidity here in GA...

Before we rent the UHaul ;)

is there anybody out there that can give us some more info about actually living in this area - cost of living, schools , etc?

I have done quite a bit of research on the Net, but it is always great to talk to the locals as well.

Have a great day!

I don't live in LA, but in northern CA. We are leaving the State. Too expensive and congested (same thing in Southern California). Ironically, we are planning to move to GA :D

Howzit Teresa.

You got everything right about the weather. Its awesome. Wont trade it for anything. Well, maybe for the ability to buy a house for under $600,000 and if they could make about 98% of all the cars dissapear. There is certainly drawbacks but I truly love So-Cal. Its a mindset as much as a place.

If you provide more specifics about certain areas maybe I (we) can provide more pertinent info.

Cheers.

Hi Teresa

It really depends on which area in LA you are going to live in. House prices are high and will probably not drop for a while and the cost of living is also higher. The median houseprice in CA is currently at about $ 530 000 and higher in several areas. We have higher electricity rates and car insurance rates and so forth. I also live in California but in the low desert area which used to be more affordable.

Edited by Mouse