Sign in to follow this  
Blondi

Weather

Hi everyone, :)

I am back with another question on Atlanta.

I am looking at a summary of the yearly weather pattern for Atlanta and it would seem that there are a lot of overcast days. :blink: I know that summers in Atlanta can get very hot and humid, but I was always under the impression that it is a blue skies kind of place.. Could you please tell me what the general weather in Atlanta is like. Is it like Europe with lots of grey skies and rain, or more like South African ?

Thanks in advance for helping !

Blondi

:)

Blondi,

I have not lived in Atlanta and would rely on others to answer your question definitively. However, if the Atlanta humidity in summer is anything like New York, I can tell you that the sky would look "white-ish" because of all the moisture. It's not a blue-sky kind of summer.

Here in New York state the sky is blue in the Fall (Autumn) when the temperature and humidity start to dissipate. We do get blue-sky days in the Spring, Summer and Winter too, but they're not the norm.

The Summer days are hot and often sticky (but you adapt to it - and even welcome it - especially if you've experienced a cold winter). Forecasters sometimes compare these humid summer days to "pea soup" ! There are brief thundershowers in the late afternoon here in New York, but it's all over within 30 minutes to an hour. So, most summer days are cloudy "white" with no rain.

Personally, I like all the seasons. (I like change, what can I say...) The summer days are long and balmy. I used to hate the wind in Cape Town and I'm happy to report that the windy days are few and far between.

Most homes in areas with extreme temperatures are air conditioned in summer and heated in winter (and many homes come equipped with a dehumidifier).

Edited by jerseygirl

Hi Jerseygirl, B)

Thank you so much for your reply ! The thing that I am most worried about is moving to a city, only to be in Holland again, (weather wise) with grey skies and rain and rain and rain and grey skies. :thumbdown: I don't mind cold, we have temperatures of -20 and colder here in Seoul in winter, but the sun shines most of the time ! And this is what I need, sunshine. :ilikeit:

Hope someone from Atlanta will also answer, thanks very much for chatting with me, you are very kind !!

Love from here

Blondi

Hi Blondi

I too, have never been to Atlanta, but I have stayed in North Carolina and South Carolina (a few hours drive away from Georgia) and can tell you that there are lots of days of bright sunshine. The place we stayed had a pool for the hot summer days as temperatures can reach to about 35 Deg C!!

Hi Blondi!

I do not have a clue as to what weather conditions are like over in Atlanta, because it is 2170 miles (3492 Km) away from me.

But, SAUSA has a host in Atlanta and you can contact her via PM or e-mail. Her name is

Cazz

I do hope this will help. :)

Hi grantmc and Janneman,

Thanks for your replies. A pool for summer days, sounds oh so inviting at the moment !! B)

Thanks Janneman, I appreciate your help and effort.

Love from here

Blondi

Hi Blondi

I live 2 hours away from Atlanta in Greenville, South Carolina. We have plenty of sunshine - much like Johannesburg. It is cold when there is snow around, but in general the winters are bearable.

I haven't been here for a summer yet, but we have been told that it gets very hot.

Spring is about to burst out all over and the thousands of flowering pears (ornamental only) have big fat buds just waiting for the signal to burst open into a fantastic display. The pansies are looking gorgeous in the parks and there are daffodils and tulips everywhere.

There are lots of big trees in this area and Atlanta and the autumn show is spectacular. They have special drives that you can do, up into the mountains to see the autumn colours. It was just magical!.

Bev

Hi Bev,

Thanks very much for your reply. It sounds fantastic ! :ilikeit: Especially all of the beautiful nature around you. I am a keen gardener, so this is right up my street.

Do you also have rain in winter ? Or is it mostly just snow ? If the weather is generally like Jo'burg, it can't be half bad, now can it.. ;)

Have you made lots of friends in your neighbourhood ? I am a member of the American Women's Club of Seoul and most of my friends are Southerners. It's amazing how it has worked out that way, and I have found them to be (generally of course) very friendly and kind-hearted, actually a lot like South Africans.

Thanks again for your reply.

Kind Regards from the other side of the world

Blondi

We have had a fair amount of rain this winter, but so far nothing more than a few snow flurries. Nothing collected on the ground. Greenville and Atlanta are at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The mountains get the snow and we just get the cold.

We are in an area where there are a lot of new houses being built, so there is a lot of bare ground. On a few mornings we have woken to the ground frozen and pushing up little 'mud mushroom' icicles. Quite fascinating!

Just before Christmas we had an ice storm. We never see anything like that in SA. It shut the city of Greenville down for 2 days, but I have never seen anything as magical in my life.

Our cars were parked outside and they were completely encased in ice. All the branches on the trees had a 1cm coating of ice. Even individual pine needles were in a sheath of ice. It caused a lot of damage to power lines and trees in the area, but it was the most amazing sight I have ever seen!

I hate the cold, but all the houses here have central heating. We use ours first thing in the morning to warm up, but by 10am I have it off and don't need it again until around 6pm on most days. Believe me I am the biggest baby you have ever come across as far as cold goes. I am miserable when I am cold (I turn into a real witch!) so if I tell you it isn't bad - it's not so bad! :)

Send me your email address via SAUSA and I will send you some pictures.

Bev

Hi there,

Thanks for your interesting reply. I have responded to you via Personal Message, but I am not sure whether it reached you. In case it didn't my email addy is :

blondinkorea at yahoo dot com

Kind Regards

Blondi

I live also live in South Carolina but we go to Atlanta allot. I have to go there this weekend to pick up my mom at the airport.

One of Atlanta's many nicknames is Hotlanta. So I guess that tells you something about the weather :blink:

Hi there seemonster,

Thanks for your reply... Hmmmm, with all of you answering from SC, I am starting to wonder whether GA is the right choice :huh: or should I also be looking at SC ? Thanks for telling me about Hotlanta, :lol: , it sounds like the kind of place I have in mind, I am a bit tired of snow, rain and cold.

Enjoy your mom's visit ! Lucky devil ! On the topic of flying, are there direct flights from JHB to Hotlanta, or do ppl come in through Miami ?

Enjoy your weekend.

See you again

Blondi

Yes Blondi, directly from Jhb to Atlanta

Dis 'n laaaaang vlug. En jy vlieg aanmekaar terug in tyd, d.w.s dit word nie eintlik dag nie!! :o

Atlanta to Sal Island, Cape Verde = 8 hours. Stop for 1 hour. Stay on-board.

Sal to Jhb = 8 hours 50mins (make it 9 hours).

Total = 18 hours, including the stop-over.

Sheesj :(

Edited by Janneman

Hi Janneman,

OH MY GOODNESS !! :o That is forever ! By the time you land in Atlanta, you are so gatvol, you just wanna go home... :D

Thanks for the info.

Enjoy your weekend.

Love from here

Blondi

Hi Janneman,

OH MY GOODNESS !!  :o That is forever ! By the time you land in Atlanta, you are so gatvol, you just wanna go home...  :D

Thanks for the info.

Enjoy your weekend.

Love from here

Blondi

Forget the long flight. Just think you are younger once you land ;)

Linda