Sign in to follow this  
Jimflip

Baybokke ?

I had a look for a bookmarked site, www.saclub-cal.com which was for the "Baybokke" and it seems to have disappeared ?

Anybody have any ideas where they went ?

Springboks don't hibernate in the winter do they ? :P

Cheerio

J.

Anybody have any ideas where they went ?

Springboks don't hibernate in the winter do they ?  :P

:lol: I'm not sure, but you could try contacting someone through these clubs

http://www.sfggrfc.com/generic79.html

http://www.southernstarsnetball.org/

There's a blend of SA's AUS, NZ, Brits and a few other nations, including USA's. I know both clubs work together and often have socials/functions etc and are a functioning SportClub

I think we should start a new Bay Area South African Community. I keep hearing about a lot of South African people in the Area, but it is impossible to find them.

Also, it would be nice to have a central point of reference for any South African people visiting the area. For example, everyone wants biltong, and as far as I know there is only one shop in the area that sells it:

South Seas Market

612 San Mateo Ave, San Bruno, CA

(650) 873-2813

Maybe I'll whip up something basic to see if people are interested.

We would also like to meet with other South African's in the Bay Area. We keep on hearing that there are lots of them here, but haven't met anybody

Allrighty then ~ a Bay Area informal get-together it is then !

State your preferences:

Weeknight/Weekend

SF proper or East/North/Peninsula ?

Bar/Restaurant/Someone's house ?

Kid friendly (or perhaps next time ?)

Cheerio

J.

Thanks, we would prefer a get-together on a weekend and can find any place that is on a map and bring the "kinders". Just let us know and we will be there. We live on the Peninsula.

Hi, we moved to Palo Alto in the Bay area (October 2005 )

and would love to attend a SA getogether , week-end would

be good (we don't have kids so would not be fussed about

that side of things - but think it would be important for those that do)

nice casual restuarant with inside and outside eating - now if we could

just organise the sun to turn up that would be great .......

There was a Bay Area Springbok club. They held the Angel Island braai on Memorial Day weekend, holiday parties, kids stuff, etc. The website used to be www.saclub-cal.com. It died due to lack of support and interest. I think it got stale and went dormant for a few yrs. The size of the bay area, the traffic, DUI, etc were all challenges in getting folks to show up.

Dit sal lekker wees on weer a groep mense bymekaar te kry. Waar is die makieties? Daar is a paar van ons in die Oos Baai. As julle naby is kontak my asb.

We'd also try and attend a weekend event. East Bay would be good, but elsewhere ok too. No kids so restaurant or even someones house is fine.

East Bay would be good (we're in WC) , but the City would work as well, even San Jose since its straight down the 680. No little kids - so any place would be fine for us.

Apologies for taking so long to get back ~ work had me out of town and I am in the process of moving out to the suburbia that is Moraga (in anticipation of the arrival of the family ! *yay* :ilikeit: )

The weather has also been pretty awful, so some of the outdoor venues that came to mind wouldn't have been so good ~ for example, I know of a car club that meets North of SF near Tomales at an oyster bar on Highway 1 (*good grief*, visions of Police Academy while I write this ;) ) ~ weather aside, this may also be a bit far for most folk.

Swan Oyster Depot on Polk street is fantastic, but seating is at the counter, and not really conducive to socializing.

So, how about Taylor's Refresher at the Ferry Building ? It's easy to find, food is of the burgers, chips and milk-shakes variety, it has outdoor and indoor seating and is readily accessible from BART, Ferry, MUNI and Trams. It's pretty kid friendly, and on a nice day, sitting outside gives one lots of people to watch.

If this is generally agreeable, let's set a date and time...

Edited by Jimflip

Hi there

I live in South San Jose and would love to meet/get together with our South africans. May my husband and I join you guys at your get together?

Thanks

Natalie

natalie[at]shanescars.com

May my husband and I join you guys at your get together?

Please do join in ~ I should have been more explicit that I was hoping that this would be an informal "meet", where people can drift by, stop and chat with fellow ex-SA'ers, perhaps grab a bite to eat (if they so wish) and then move on when they're ready to do so !

Time & Date are still to be set ~ perhaps a poll with a few options and we go with the majority ?

Hi James , thanks for doing the poll - my husband and I wont be here for the week of the 23rd to the 28th :( but can make the 22nd May :D so we have put our vote in for then and hope to see you - Taylors refresher sounds fine

If the majority vote for another day - we'll hopefully be able to join you on the second meet ... :ilikeit:

thanks again

Kara

:blush: So my move to the East bay was postponed by a week, so I won't be able to get to Taylor's tomorrow as I will be lugging stuff across the Bay Bridge.

Bliksem, one accumulates stuff in a short 9 months ! (I arrived with only 2 bags of clothes !)

So.... either Sunday it is, or the whole 2 other people who did vote to pitch up tomorrow get to have burgers in the sun together. :P

Alternatively, and this isn't a promise until I've cleared it with the better half when she gets here ~ perhaps a braai in Moraga in a month or so ?

(I know someone moving there ;) )

As one of the other 2 people that voted - just to say good luck with your move and as we were kind of in a tight fit anyway - squeezing in a trip to Mexico tomorrow - early morning no packing done yet - usual blah blah blah :rolleyes: - we shall again say thanks for trying to organise something and maybe next time ..... :)

Kara