Sign in to follow this  
Jimflip

Baybokke ?

Did anyone get together?

My fault for getting caught up in moving to the East Bay, and then being slack about not arranging another meet 'n greet.

:(

Does anyone know if there will be any other type of get togethers in the Bay Area later this yr?

We would also like to meet with other South African's in the Bay Area. We keep on hearing that there are lots of them here, but haven't met anybody

That is so true. I have been living in the Bay for 7 yrs, and have only meet 1 person from Durban.... thats it :(

Does anyone know if there will be any other type of get togethers in the Bay Area later this yr?

That is so true. I have been living in the Bay for 7 yrs, and have only meet 1 person from Durban.... thats it :(

How about an "Informal Get-together" ?

September 9th, 11:30am to 1pm (earlier or later also OK)

Ferry Building San Francisco

Link to map here

See Events, CA for more details.

Hope to see you there.

I'm so glad you Baybokke are trying to get together again. When we came to the US in 1996, we landed at SFO and lived in San Mateo for two years before moving to Austin, TX.

In those days there was a formal South African club with a committee that organized several social events, including the Memorial Sunday braai at Angel Island, white-water rafting on the American river near Sacramento, canoeing on the Russian river near Sebastopol, etc. The canoeing and rafting were usually weekend camping events, and lots of fun.

When we came to Austin, it took us a year before we met other South Africans. We wanted to have the same thing in Austin as we did in SF and pushed to start a club. I built the website and my wife handled the email. After a year we discovered that there wasn't interest in continuing a formal club, and so it was disbanded. We continued the website and email though. Today we only have two braais a year that my wife organizes by email... one in the Fall and one in Spring. Many Austin South Africans also go to the annual Texas Potjie competition. This recipe seems to work fine for us.

Have fun! :)

John

See you on the 9th Kara and Rob :ilikeit: