Sign in to follow this  
grantmc

Auto insurance

SJ, thanks for the post. I am considering Geico, which I might contact when I get back to the US from TO.

Edited by shatale

Those of you who bought cars within their first few days/weeks of getting to the U.S., was it cash purchase or were any of you able to get a loan so quick?

Those of you who bought cars within their first few days/weeks of getting to the U.S., was it cash purchase or were any of you able to get a loan so quick?

We paid cash. We would have liked loans to help build credit records, but we were wary of the effect on the credit record of dealers potentially having to do a bunch of loan enquiries to find a loan. I know others have said they got loans easily, but neither of us had jobs when we arrived and it looked like they all wanted proof of income. So if you have a job it may be easier?

We've got good credit, but I was hoping for a way to get past the proof of income part :) (as it would be hard to show right away of course)

You already have a U.S. credit record?

Yes, we do.

We lived in the States for about 7 years and built good credit already. We moved back to South Africa 6 years ago, but kept our credit cards running and active.

So at least we have the ground work done, its just the income part we have to deal with, but I guess we'll see when we get there.

I got great service at Carmax. They give you the first time buyers deal [at] 12% which they finance. After a year you can refinance.

I got great service at Carmax. They give you the first time buyers deal [at] 12% which they finance. After a year you can refinance.

Japie,

Did you have to show proof of income?

They usually require a copy of your latest paysheet.

For insurance try Geico... They gave us a excellent rate with no background check initial premium was around $120.00 and now its down to $80.00 a month