Sign in to follow this  
JohanB

Any pilots out there?

I'm thinking of enrolling in flight school once I arrive.

Anyone out there with some experience on the matter? More specifically, HCPL.

Howzit Johan,

I am an FAA private pilot, and will be working on my instrument rating this winter. I got my private pilot certificate here in the US BEFORE the new rules regarding foreigners enlisting for flight training were implemented. These rules require thorough background checks on every foreigner who wants to take flying lessons, BEFORE you can even take an introductory flight!!!! If you are on the up-and-up, there will be no problem.

Check out this link for some information: http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/

Also, the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Organization (AOPA) has a fantastic website filled with information. Check them out at www.aopa.org.

What I can tell you is that flying in the US is far better in every respect than flying in SA. They are far less restrictive here, and the resources relating to every aspect of flying are endless. There are so many flight schools, one is stuck for choice. Be careful though as there are a bunch of fly-by-night operators, and some with less than perfect records.

I went to a Cessna authorised flight training school in the Chicago area, and bought the Cessna private pilot training kit. Online training on your PC is a fantastic way of learning, and works out a lot cheaper than if you were to use only an instructor.

Once you have your certificate, there are so many opportunites for fun flying, and so many places to go, it is just fantastic.

The annual EAA Oshkosh airchow is on next week, so I will be going along again. It is truly awesome.

If there is any more information you need and I can help with, let me know.

Anton, is it you that skydives too?

Anton, is it you that skydives too?

Yes it is...take a look at this pic, and you will see the plane spiralling towards earth out of control after I jumped out :o:o

AntonOfficeView3.jpg

The annual EAA Oshkosh airchow is on next week...

An 'airchow' is an airshow with more food stalls than aviation ones. :lol:

For Anton: skydivefr.gif

Vlakvark en julle ander malles wat uit perfectly heel vliegtuie uitspring, gaan kyk na die ou se video:

Uhhhm, WOW?

:o How amazing. His guardian angels were working double shifts.

I have no words for that one! :blink: