Sign in to follow this  
Hein

Raad en advice

I am looking for some advice as I have to make a choice within the next couple of days and I am not sure whether I have all the facts. I currently live and work in Cincinnati, Ohio and just had a job offer from a company based in Denver, Colorado. The actual dealership I will be working at, is in Parker just south of Denver. Now the questions ....

I know that property and the cost of living is higher that what we have here in Ohio, but just how much and what would a good starting salary be for an average income family of three. I do not need the biggest house in the best neighbourhood, but would like a decent size house in an average neighbourhood or even some acerage within a 20 mile radius of Parker. Is this possible or will I only be able to afford some apartment in the city?

Which neighbourhoods in and around Parker should I consider looking at if I move and what can I expect?

What are the schools like and which ones are better as my little rugrat is two now but at the rate she is growing up, will probably be in school before I am ready for it?

And then any general information you can give me, population, places to avoid, scenery and climate, is it as pretty as it looks on the postcard or is it high dry desert with very few trees? I would really appreciate all info before I have to make the dreaded decicion because I know that I will get all the blame for it if Colorado does not live up to the wife's expectations .....

:(

Hein,

Start here:

http://www.moving.com/Find_a_Place/Compare2Cities/

http://www.city-data.com/city/Parker-Colorado.html

http://www.bestplaces.net/city/ (after entering the cities, choose the 'Cost of Living' link and compare them.)

These are useful tools in comparing two cities that will go some of the way to answering some of your questions.

Good luck.

What is it that you do at the dealership?

Vlakvark, thanks for the info. I have been looking at sites like these and did get some info from them, but was hoping for a more "hands-on" and South African view of the area ... if you know what I mean...

I guess you can say that I am in Upper Management at the Dealership as I was suppose to manage the next branch they were to open. The company went through a huge growth spurt due to the boom in the economy and went from three stores to 6 in less than 2 years. Our turn-over has also increased and we are now aiming for close to 80 million this year. So I was put through the Management Training Program ( I am actually the first one to complete the full course ) that lasted almost two years and involved actually working and learning in each department in the company.

With the current slump in the market and the interest rates, all future expansion has been postponed and I am currently being used as Project Manager for projects including marketing videos and New Employee Presentations to financial planning and market research. Some of these projects are pretty interesting but I still felt under-utillized and when I came across the oppertunity ( although not perfect by a long shot ) to move to Colorado, I jumped at the chance as it always looked so nice on all the pictures I have seen. It also seems like a slower lifestyle and more of an area and environment that I would like to see my little girl grow up. I hope this explains some of my questions too ....

Once again thanks for the info.

Hi Hein, We live about 2 hours east of Denver. We live out in the rural eastern plains. I can not give you much info about cost of living, houses and schools. (Pat would prob be able to give you some more info, because she lives closer to Denver and to the area that you are considering, I think) I like living in Colorado. I think the area that you are considering are nice, just judging from where it is located. I have not been there. I prefer Colorado Springs more than Denver to do shopping. Colorado Springs is about an hour from Parker going south and reminds me a lot of Cape Town. The only thing missing is the ocean. Good luck, I hope you come this way.

Thanks Jakaranda, I am really seriously considering the move. It would also seem like there is quite a big SA community in Colorado and although I will never admit this in public ... :D , I do miss talking to people who know real rugby, braaivleis and who Koos Van der Merwe is ....

Hi Hein

Yes there is quite a large SA community here

check out our website www.sacolorado.org

Cecilia and I do the organising of the functions etc.

Parker area has properties from 230 - 750 .000 so it depends what you are looking for.

Is there not a possibility that you could come out for a weekend to see for yourself.

We host families for weekends and we are more than willing to take you around so you can see for yourself -

Not far from parker is Castle rock etc that is also growing ,but it does seem to get a fair amount of snow etc, but maybe you should just drop me a personal email and then I can give you my tel no etc , that just tends to make it easier

my email as follows

patlotter[at]msn.com

Thanks

Pat

Hi Pat

Thanks again for the info and the invitation. I might have to come down there for my final interview anyway, so I might just take you up on it. I actually looked at some properties down there and was thinking that we might have to venture a little further away from Parker itself in order to be able to get "more property for my money". So I am looking anywhere within a 18 mile radius as that is about what I am traveling at this stage.

I will try to drop you a personal mail tonight from home. Once again thank you very much for your help and assistance .....

Hi Hein

You're more than welcome,

Drop me line then I can get some info together for you

Speak to you soon

Pat

Hein,

Start here:

http://www.moving.com/Find_a_Place/Compare2Cities/

http://www.city-data.com/city/Parker-Colorado.html

http://www.bestplaces.net/city/ (after entering the cities, choose the 'Cost of Living' link and compare them.)

These are useful tools in comparing two cities that will go some of the way to answering some of your questions.

Very useful sites! Thanks, Anton! Got to learn a lot about the future...

Very useful sites! Thanks, Anton! Got to learn a lot about the future...

I have a friend who works in travel agency in SF - there are two other guys from South Aftrica - agency called - Cheap Tickets Finder. He said most of his friends are buying airline tickets to South Africa from them.

Anyways - yea Anton - sites are indeed useful. THANKS!