Sign in to follow this  
Hendie

LSD Trips and Arrivals

Thank you Woodie & Fiela... I am considering whether to rent a car (with a GPS) at the airport upon arrival and head to a hotel somewhere between LA and SD. Do you guys think it is sensible or is it too scary to take on LA traffic especially as it will be the first time that I would have to drive a left hand drive car and driving on the other side of the road! Is there a southbound freeway that goes around LA, thus missing most of LA's hectic traffic?

Definitely rent a car. The first day it felt like I had my eyes on stalks and I was consciously having to think about things I did unconsciously when driving in SA. Left hand drive + right side of the road + speeds in MPH keeps you on your toes. However, from the second day onwards things got easier and more relaxed.

In terms of cost, it is cheaper to rent a car offsite as opposed to the airport. You may want to decide on a place to stay and take public transport from the airport to your chosen base and then rent a car from one of the offices closer to where you're staying. This will also allow you to avoid the major freeways initially and provide you with an opportunity to gain some driving confidence.

So we arrived in NYC on the 2nd of Dec to activate our GC. Waited about 20mins to be processed and were pleasantly surprised with the immigration officers. They were friendly and talkative. Arrived in sunny Florida Tampa Bay area the same day and went to Social Security offices the next day. We were told that we should get our cards in about 2 weeks but this is not the case. By Friday my husband had a job with union as an electrician and he has 3 months to get back to the US to start the job. Seems there is a great demand for tradesmen and the wage is quite good considering he still needs to do the conversion test. Union fees are $30 pm and covers all our benefits.

We were a bit disappointed about not getting our GC by the time we left for SA again. I called the USCIS towards the end of Dec and was told that the process takes about 45 days.

We have decided to settle in the New Port Richey area. Is there anyone on this forum who can give me some advice about the area?

Yay Atir! Happy to hear things seem to be falling into place.

We are on the last night of our LSD trip. Husband still very undecided but definitely more open to moving than he was before we came. Wish me luck on that one guys...!

Incidentally our SS cards arrived within 2 weeks but it seems luck of the draw whether they get automatically processed or not. No green cards yet.

Well we leave SA on sunday night bound for Annapolis Maryland! Excited and ready to go! Will keep you all posted on our experiences!

• Like 2

Left hand drive + right side of the road

Most dufficult part is when you have turn left or right into crossing road.

Good tip from an irish buddy now living in holland ...

Just keep the white line next to you as the driver ... works very well on single lane roads

Left handdrive on right side of the road or as in south africa right handdrive on left it still works.

Multi lane roads a bit more tricky but turning lane white lines is normally on multilane roads to assist.

.Just keep the white line next to you as the driver ...

In the US the centre line is usually yellow

When we lived in the Netherlands, a friend explained it as is: LANG ARM LINKS, so if you turn left its the long way, and then off cause to your right is the short turn

Our one way flights have been booked. We will be flying off to Raleigh, NC on 5 Okt. Exciting times, but still so much to do!

Kanniewaggie

Have a good trip.

Must be exiting to know your dates , when you leave .

Kanniewaggie, indeed ti's good to know when you will be leaving. It has been nice to share your views and percpectives throughout the process with the forum. When you land on the other side, don't forget to keep posting developments on this forum. Safe trip

Our one way flights have been booked. We will be flying off to Raleigh, NC on 5 Okt. Exciting times, but still so much to do!

Good luck!

Thanks everyone. Yes it does feel much better to have a specific date to work towards. Will definately keep you updated on our progress.

We have arrived in the USA! Jip, we landed in Philadelphia yesterday and had the privilege to go through the process of becoming LPR's. Well, first of all, we had 2 wonderful flights on Qatar. I will definately recommend this airline to anyone that want a good experience flying.

Anyway, we arrived in Philadelphia just before 9AM. We were the only flight arriving and the airport was suprisingly quiet. The lines were long though and moving very slowly as there weren't many immigration officers available. We were told to stand in the visitors line which was of course the long one. When we got to the front we were helped by a very friendly lady that took our pictures and electronic finger prints and pointed us to the office for further processing.

There we met with a very strict but still friendly lady that entered our details on the system, had us sign some forms and took another finger print. Then we were good to go to pick up our luggage.

We had a bit more than a 4 hour layover on Philadelphia before boarding the plane to Raleigh. So we had time to get our first Philly cheese steak sandwich. Delicious!

After landing in Raleigh we caught the shuttle to the Rental cars place. Got a small car that we just about managed to fit our golf bags and 2 large suitcases and hit the road - yeah having to concentrate turning into the right lanes etc. I have to agree with everyone that mentioned you need to get a GPS. We had a paper map. It helped, but you never know which lane to pick in time to make the necessary turns etc. We might be visiting the stores today to get a proper GPS :-)

So today we will be off to get a mailbox, bank accounts, cellphone cards, short terms storage for our bags and check out the public transport. We've decided to leave our golf clubs and bags in storage until we return in December so that we can bring some more stuff over when we return.

Tomorrow it will be social security application and checking out the neighbourhoods around here. We will also be staying over in Charlotte a couple of days to what the area looks like there.

O yes, what would have been our permanent moved turned out to be just an LSD trip. We will be retuning to SA next week to finish off some projects and then make the permanent move here on 30 December.

• Like 2