Sign in to follow this  
Disting

H1B Sponsorship

Hi Everyone,

I am desperately looking for a reliable company for H1B sponsorship.

I have tried www.h1base.com, www.visajobs.com; www.workerhire.com and a plethora of others.

Is there ANY legit companies out there? How did you guys make it?

Any help or advice please

Thanks

What sort of work are you looking for Disting? :)

Bev

Welcome to SAUSA Disting.

It appears that your posts so far has been predominantly regarding finding initial employment on which you can base an employment visa (a.k.a sponsorship). Unfortunately there is no easy answer here. You will also find that most of us have obtained emplyment through various avenues.

I personally responded to an classified ad in a local San Diego newspaper that I saw on the internet and got a job that way. Some other more common avenues are companies that actively recruit in foreign markets (these are usually jobs where there is a high demand locally such as pharmacists or nursing), contract workers in certain fields (normally High tech or computer programmers) and so forth. The one thing they all have in common though is that it requires you to find them.

You should start by evaluating your credentials and qualifications to see whether you comply with some of the minimum standards required for an employment based visa (H1-B classification info). If not then you should consider some of the other alternatives like student or business orientated visas.

Once you have done that and know what you need focus on your specific strenghts and search, look, call etc. Just dont give up. It will take time but you if you persevere you will be successfull. Once you know what you are looking for it should also be easier to pinpoint those recruiters or listings for applicable positions. Its going to take time (and probably some money). Be prepared for dissappointment but never give up.

If you want you can also give us some more specific info about yourself that may help one or more of SAUSA members who may have/had similiar situations/conditions to provide advice. Things like what you do, your qualifications, do you have a family, age, etc. All these things make up small pieces of the bigger puzzle and directly affect what you are attempting to accomplish.

Good luck and Vasbyt!

Oh and one other thing. Some people has already advised you to stay away from the companies that tell you they will get you a job and a visa for a fee. I have never heard anything good or know anyone that actually got a visa that way. I have only heard about people being scammed out of their hard earned cash. State dept. Fraud warning

And dont forget to enter the lottery!! There are a lot of SAUSA members and other people I know personally who has won their Green Cards with the lottery. Its not a waste of time!

Hi Ivor

I sent you an email and I hope it helps. There are many opportunities for Pilots here. Do you have any special ratings/endorsements on your license (such as skydive pilot, ag,instructor etc?) You can apply for an E11 visa - Alien with extrodinary skills.

Good luck, and if I can help more, email me again.

Mike

What sort of work are you looking for Disting? :)

Bev

Hi Bev,

I am am what the industry refers to as an IT generalist. It means I have done everything from switch the PC on to fining my way around VB and SQL programming!

So yes, just a nerd!

Regards

Disting

Hi Tokolosi,

Thanks for all your help too.

I know I am sounding a bit sappy, but the response from the members of this forum is great. All good quality information.

I actually do not have any qualifications, it is all about 10 years of experience. It seems I will need to make a plan.

I saw the posts on workerhire.com; I should leave them a 'gift' on their web page. Sorry, but that type of exploitaiton angers me.

Thanks to SAUSA I have a lot more research and resources.

Muchos Gracias!

Disting

Disting,

There is not much call for IT generalists in the US. While in SA, technical folks need to be "jacks of all trades" able to switch between operating systems, networking, application support, databases and deal with anything that comes up, the US is more concerned with specialization in the IT area. Thats not to say that there is no hope for the generalist, just that it is more challenging. If you have any product certifications such as Microsoft, Novell or Cisco, that would certainly help your situation.

As a rule of thumb you should not have to pay anyone to find work for you. If you do, then its probably a scam of some sort.

Tokolosi offered some very wise advice, read it carefully, and I would suggest similarly. Figure out what your personal goals are, and understand very clearly why you want to emigrate, and why you are choosing the USA as your destination. Also understand what your career aspirations are, the type of position you seek, and an area you would like to contribute in. Americans value innovation and progress, not just competence. During the hiring process Americans are as concerned about what you can add to the company, as they are with your merit and skill. Educate yourself on how to write a resume. The document is different to a CV and has different goals. There are many free advice resources on the web. A quick solution is to use the monster.com wizard to create an online resume, and just copy / past the resulting resume, and tidy up the format for a word document.

I recommend careerbuilder.com ... and search the listings for jobs that fit your desires.

It may take a long time ... persevere.

Ta, y'all been great! (Couldn't resist)

Thanks Creature, I am starting to sound like a stuck record, but when I get to the USA we will have a good old fashioned braai. Wherever permitted!

:D

Hi all.

One piece of info that I thought you may be interested in is that the usual measure for an H1B is that 3 years of experience equals one year of tertiary education. By this, you are nearly there (since a 4 year degree is typically required), but I have heard of cases where less than 12 years of experience is accepted (10 years, 12 years, what's the real difference?).

This is a funny article that I found interesting (seemed relevant :) ): http://www.nirenstein.com/e107/page.php?21

I also recommend applying to big firms if you want to try and get an H1B. Firstly, they have the infrastructure that allows the IT guys (who do the hiring) to say "Let legal deal with all the messy immigration issues". Secondly, if a small company wants to hire you, they will most likely need you "shortly". With the H1 cap being reached so quickly these days, this means that they may have to wait between 5 months (at best) and 18 months (at worst) in order to get you - this is often unacceptable for small companies, whereas large companies will "always need good people", and take you later, since having you in say a years time is better than not having you at all. Also, H1Bs can only be submitted 6 months before the beginning of the next fiscal year (starts 1st Oct), so if you apply, the best time will be Dec/Jan/Feb, since this will maximize your availability.

Cheers.

- TCG -

Hi guys,

I have received my official invite for H1B sponsorship and the compnay pays for every thing!! If all goes well I will be in the States for the 2008 H1B quota. Does anyone know when this is by the way?

I do not have a degree, but 8 years experience. SO there is hope, but it has taken about 18 months of persistence and probable more registrations that I care to rememeber. Thank God for Gmail!

Cheers

Congratulations!!

Congratulations, Disting!!!! :D

Congrats! I think you would then be eligible to start working 1 October 2007, applications start from about Mei 2007. Hope all goes well! :ilikeit:

Wow that is GREAT, congratulations, and hope to see you this side of the world soon !!!!! :ilikeit:

Thanks for the well wishes guys, Yes I hope all goes well and if it can be October 07...Dan is dit net v***n wonderlik!