Sign in to follow this  
chickabee

Battling the Bulge

I need to lose about 20 lbs and recall a few other members mentioning lately that they are on the same mission. :unsure:

What are your secrets to success and what are your biggest stumbling blocks? I know from experience that there's no easy way to do this but to me it seems to get more difficult every time I try!

I did the Weigh-Less thing in SA and it does work BUT I find having to weigh my food too frustrating and time-consuming. With time you do sort of get to know what a portion should look like but I just find that my portions seem to grow in size after a while and then it's back to square one. :angry:

At the moment I'm counting calories, literally. There just doesn't seem to be enough of them that I can actually eat and I find myself constantly on the verge of that stomach-gnawing hunger! I've broken down my "allowance" into 5 or 6 smaller meals, which means I get to eat every 2-3 hours. What else can I do to keep myself from attacking the fridge?!

Being at home all day definitely doesn't help. I try to keep busy but I'm a really lousy housewife :whome: and the only thing about being one that I really enjoy is cooking and baking!! :cry:

I would love to hear how everyone else does it (or tries to!)

Try this.

You may eat rice, pasta, fish and chicken only

The rice and pasta may have no gravy or sauce

The chicken and fish may be boiled or roasted, but you may not eat the skin

And now the hard part you have to drink 8L of water a day.

Andrew

Get hold of a book called 'The Fat Flush Diet'. Excellent way to detox and lose weight fast! You can probably get it at your local library to have a look through before you buy it. Excellent book! Not a fad.

The minute you get up, drink a lukewarm glass of water with some lemon juice in it (I use the organic lemon juice and it tastes exactly like the one we drank in S.A.).

For breakfast, have smoothies or some eggs. I throw some frozen peaches, blueberries, raspberries, bananas, or whatever frozen fruit I've got around, organic plain yoghurt, flaxseeds (which I buy, toast for a minute in the oven to make them ready to release the goodness, and store in a cool place) some wheat germ (they sell it in the groceries in the hot cereal section) - flaxseed is not only a huge source of Omega 3, but will make you feel full a tad longer.

If you want eggs, make a veggie omelet.

Snack on some fruit or nuts during the morning.

For lunch, make yourself a salad, with grilled chicken or shrimp on it, and put a few tablespoons of ground up flax seeds on it - apple cider vinegar and olive oil dressing - the apple cider vinegar is a huge fat burner. Add a boiled egg or two (make sure they're organic eggs which are full of omegas) if you haven't had them for breakfast.

Dinner, grill some fish or a piiece of chicken or meat, preferably something like salmon - easy to do - just salt, pepper and some fresh dill will do, with a baked potato and loads and loads of steamed veggies. A salad if you like, just use apple cider vinegar and olive oil and add a couple of teaspoons of ground up flax seeds (you can purchase small coffee grinders for a few $$ at Target/Walmart/Kmart).

Eat only brown/wholewheat pasta / rice when you do eat it. Don't go near white flours.

I keep trailmix in the house to snack on after dinner if I need to eat something.

A 20 minute fast walk and a few minutes on a mini-trampoline to get the lymphatic system moving and bob's your uncle, you'll lose in no time.

www.ivillage.com has a section dedicated on their forum to the Fat Flush Plan. It is the most excellent I've been on so far.

Try to eat organic meat and veggies as much as possible - stick to Alaskan wild salmon (not Norwegian as that is farm raised for the most part and doesn't have the same nutrients) and you'll see the pounds drop in no time. They inject the cows with hormones to make them grow quicker, which are not good for us, plus the antibiotics which they feed them. Milk for instance is full of antibiotics and hormones plus pus *yuck* - better to drink organic milk, eat organic butter.

You have to be very careful about food in the US. Nearly everything has hydrogenated oils and corn syrup in it - including the bread! Which is why so many people here are so huge and sick.

www.meatrix.com

Good luck )

You may eat rice, pasta, fish and chicken only

The rice and pasta may have no gravy or sauce

The chicken and fish may be boiled or roasted, but you may not eat the skin

And now the hard part you have to drink 8L of water a day.

:o

That will probably make you lose weight but that diet was outlawed by he Geneva Convention anti-torture laws.

My opinion:

And please remember my profession is about as far removed from a dietican as it can be, but my resting pulse rate is between 45 and 50 and I wear only one size larger pants than I did when I left high school 19 years ago. I believe losing weight by starvation is a short term solution. Fine when you want to fit in a tight little black dress come Friday but you will gain it all back and then some by next Wednesday. I believe in consistency. It is better to walk 1 mile every day than to run 7 miles once a week. You have to balance eating less, eating right and excersicing. Also, remember muscle burns fat. Do not focus on a pure calorie burning excersise/eating plan. Make sure you rebuild lost muscle tissue. Eat less carbs and more good protein. And if you want to lose weight you must burn more than you take in. But not so much that your body starts converting muscle into energy. Thats bad.

Everybody must figure out what works for them. What works for me is:

I run about 3.5 to 4 miles almost 4-5 times a week followed by a short but intense weight workout. I eat small high protein snacks (energy bars, handfull of peanuts etc) whenever I feel hungry during the day and tonight I dig into a healthy meal with the fam. We eat early, about 5:00 - 5:30.

:o

That will probably make you lose weight but that diet was outlawed by he Geneva Convention anti-torture laws.

My opinion:

And please remember my profession is about as far removed from a dietican as it can be, but my resting pulse rate is between 45 and 50 and I wear only one size larger pants than I did when I left high school 19 years ago. I believe losing weight by starvation is a short term solution. Fine when you want to fit in a tight little black dress come Friday but you will gain it all back and then some by next Wednesday. I believe in consistency. It is better to walk 1 mile every day than to run 7 miles once a week. You have to balance eating less, eating right and excersicing. Also, remember muscle burns fat. Do not focus on a pure calorie burning excersise/eating plan. Make sure you rebuild lost muscle tissue. Eat less carbs and more good protein. And if you want to lose weight you must burn more than you take in. But not so much that your body starts converting muscle into energy. Thats bad.

Everybody must figure out what works for them. What works for me is:

I run about 3.5 to 4 miles almost 4-5 times a week followed by a short but intense weight workout. I eat small high protein snacks (energy bars, handfull of peanuts etc) whenever I feel hungry during the day and tonight I dig into a healthy meal with the fam. We eat early, about 5:00 - 5:30.

I forgot to say that you need weight training in there as well to build up the muscle. Rebounding as I recommended, will keep the lymphatic flowing, sending the toxins out of the body, and will help get rid of cellulite. I do Pilates/Tae Bo every day as well, to keep toned. A month after starting Pilates, you'll notice the difference in your clothing, you lose bunches of inches.

The Fat Flush plan is not a diet per se, you eat BUNCHES on it - it is a lifestyle change, you just the right kinds of foods.

oops I didnt have anything to add, accidentally hit quick reply

Edited by Capetonian

yep it's a lifestyle change. I'm normal size :P and don't really have a weight problem (well except for an expanding belly) but studies have shown that even small doses of exercise done on a consistent basis produce faster long lasting results than one or two intense work out. I'm lucky I guess, I don't crave junk food or chocolate and rather go for the healthy stuff such as lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, with small meals during the day. I also wander (well it's more of a gallop) around our housing tract twice a day with his lordship. Hubby on the other hand is a different story. It can take a long time for your metabolism to get on track again if you're really into junk food, high fat and high sugar food.

I have always managed to keep the weight off by staying fit, running cycling, circuit training w/ weights ... and also avoiding junk food most of the time. But as I get older, it is harder to get motivated to exercise. My resting pulse rate is around 60 ... I'm 6ft and 180lb's ... definitely carry a bit more weight than when I was younger. My advice is to build up physical fitness ... be reasonable ... start slow, build gradually, and don't go to crazy extremes ... moderation and consistency is key ... also, if you hurt after a workout, give yourself time to heal ...

We've been starting to follow Dr. Steve Nugent's Genetic Key Diet. It's early days, but intellectually this makes sense to me. It's based mostly on Glycemic Indexing, and takes into account your particular genetic makeup.

His website is not very slick, but it does contain a questionnaire to help you determine your GK, and to suggest a good diet to you: GKDiet.

Find a commited exercise buddy, it surely does help alot when you have someone banging on your door to get going & making sure you don't try to get out of the gym that day. Basicly the good thing about it is you have company at the gym, exchange ideas, get on each other when the other one is slipping

I do have my own philosophy on it: I'm not going to exercise for the next 20-y just to live 5-y longer... the numbers aren't evening out for me :P

:oops:

Milk for instance is full of antibiotics and hormones plus pus *yuck* - better to drink organic milk, eat organic butter.

You would think that what a milk-0-holic my kiddo is he'd be ear infection free :P

I'm normal size and don't really have a weight problem (well except for an expanding belly)

:offtopic::oops: When's the big day again?!

You would think that what a milk-0-holic my kiddo is he'd be ear infection free :P

Put the kiddo onto soya milk. Milk is known for causing mucus which will set up infection in ears and throats of kids. (Test it for yourself. Drink half a glass of milk and see how thick your saliva gets.) Put him back onto milk when the infection clears completely.

My dd was lactose intolerant until she was about 4. She never had a single ear infection until I started giving her dairy products, but I had to use a calcium supplement while she was on the soya. She also never had any stomach upsets.

Bev

it's ironic. DH's birthday is on the 11th of March, my brother's is on the 18th.

Oh wow. Mine's on the 11th too :D Great day ;)

My kids are Dec 30, Feb 1, Feb 28 and then mine Mar 11.....