Sign in to follow this  
Peren

SA Presentation Help

Oi guys I need some help/advice.

Some of you may remember the SA Fact Sheet that I e-mailed to you a year or 2 ago. Long story short I turned this into a visual presentation and like all things I just got carried away.

The presentation is in MS Power Point format and consists of 490 slides with an average of 3 photos per slide. Everything is covered from the cradle of mankind to the traditional braai and everything in between. American friends are just thrilled when I show it to them. Problem is that not everyone has power point. I can use the pack n go but then the viewer still has to agree to licensure terms.

Now what I need is a software program that will be suitable for viewing the presentation in full screen with the least hassel to the viewer.

They must be able to navigate up and down and between menus.

There is a main menu where you can select and go to 30 sub-menus. Each sub menu can have between 5 and 15 slides.

5 of the sub-menus will have a max of 6 sub-sub-menus. These sub-sub-menus will have between 5 and 10 slides each.

The presentation must work on any PC and if it could be used on a DVD/TV using the remote to navigate then I will consider that I have struck gold.

I have tried a number of trial versions of software that should do this but so far no success. Either the DVD is not compatible; the number of slides are limited; cannot navigate.

I want to add an audio track in the future. Mainly music. Narration in some places would be good providing that the correct accent is used for the targetted viewer. Good Malmesbury brei or Namakwalander :whome:

I know the software is hinding out there somewhere. Any help in locating this elusive creature will be most welcome.

Thanks for your time and let me know if you are interested in this presentation. Cannot e-mail it because it is about 100Meg.

Peren, Powerpoint Viewer can be downloaded for free and it is a standalone prog just for that purpose.

I've found something else on the web, but have no first-hand knowledge of it. Tonic Point Viewer

The other option would be to use a video editor, add slides, voice, music and titles, and then export the timeline as *.mpg. Everybody can watch that. :)

I used Pinnacle Studio 10 to edited all my old videos (taking by video camera) onto CD's with audio track and include some photos as well. But I am not sure if you can download it for free - I had to buy the software. So that might not help you.

Peren,

I've been that route with PowerPoint even with my own embedded sound tracks but once it moved over to someone else's box it started missing this and that.

My nephew is a class A-1 geek in computer graphics, etc. and would get a kick out of making suggestions.

You know my email if you're interested, Sir.

Jim

:D

Something else I found:

Producer 2003, a Microsoft product, converts Powerpoint presentations into video.

This might just be Bob's uncle, or even the cat's whiskers. :)

Edited by Janneman

Thanks guys I will give those a try.

At this stage I will give anything a try if they offer a trial version first. I have enough software that I've bought and then found that it cannot do what I want. And once you break the seal that's it - it is yours to do with what you like.

I know that someone out there has the answer so I must just be patient.

I have a ton of material on different topics that I would be able to use this program for.

Push comes to shove then I will use the Power Point pack-n-go.

Thanks

Hi Peren,

Give Open Office a shot.

It is free(and open source), it does everything I want plus more. Open office is basically the same as MS Office. They use Impress to open, use and create powerpoint files. I use Open Office but have no experience with Impress but have seen a few Impress presentations.

Go here to download OpenOffice.

Hope is helps

Edited by Ian

Thanks Ian,

I downloaded the program and will let you know how it goes.

Whatever way at first glance it does appear to be better than the power point.

Spoke to one of those young geeks at Best Buy this afternoon and he recommends Adobe Encore. Anybody got any experience with this program? It is supposed to be great for making DVD type presentations for viewing on the TV.

Cheers and thanks to all for the suggestions.

Peren, I'm retracing our steps here, just to make sure that I understand you correctly. You said:

Problem is that not everyone has power point. I can use the pack n go but then the viewer still has to agree to licensure terms.

A Powerpoint viewer is available. Free. Save your presentation in the slideshow format, ie. with a .pps extention and not .ppt. This will allow people to view your show on their pc's and in full screen. The viewer is free and you do not have to register anything, as far as I know. It's also best to transfer the material from the cd onto a hard drive, because it'll be more stable.

Now what I need is a software program that will be suitable for viewing the presentation in full screen with the least hassel to the viewer.

Download PowerPoint Viewer 2003.

They must be able to navigate up and down and between menus.

I assume that will still be possible. If it was created in Powerpoint, and it worked on your pc, the saved slideshow should work on another pc as well.

The presentation must work on any PC and if it could be used on a DVD/TV using the remote to navigate then I will consider that I have struck gold.

If you want to produce a DVD or VCD/S-VCD, you now enter the world of video. Your presentation can be converted into a movie file by using MS Producer 2003 (that's what my research taught me). A movie file (typically) has a .mpg, .mpeg or .avi extention and is playable on 99.9% of all pc's using Windows as their OS.

Otherwise you will have to edit your audio-visual material in a proper video editing programme - Non-linear editing (NLE) as it is known.

I want to add an audio track in the future. Mainly music. Narration in some places would be good providing that the correct accent is used for the targetted viewer. Good Malmesbury brei or Namakwalander :whome:

The "easiest" route would be via a video editor. There are free (open source) video editors available, but I'm not familiar with them. I know Adobe Premier 6.5 quite well, but that is not a free programme. However, as mentioned, there are free ones out there. Ian might be able to provide a link or two.

Spoke to one of those young geeks at Best Buy this afternoon and he recommends Adobe Encore. Anybody got any experience with this program? It is supposed to be great for making DVD type presentations for viewing on the TV.

Adobe Encore is a DVD authoring package. Once you have a finished video product, you would use Encore to put a DVD together, ie. provide menus, sub-menus, music to accompany these menus, etc. - like the ones you encounter when you play a Blockbusters movie.

So remember, video editing and DVD authoring is another story altogether.

I hope I make sense.

PS. Thanks for the e-mail. :)

I hope I make sense.

PS. Thanks for the e-mail. :)

Janneman,

Jy moet bietjie Open Office 'n spin gee en my laat weet wat jy dink.

Mense moet ophou om daardie monster in Redmond te voer!! :D

Ian

Edited by Ian

Ian, ek het Open Office op my rekenaar, maar gebruik slegs 'n baie, baie klein gedeelte van die program se vermoëns - hoofsaaklik die woordverwerker.

Weet jy van enige gratis (video) redigeerprogramme wat Peren sal kan gebruik indien hy daardie roete sou wou volg?

Ian, ek het Open Office op my rekenaar, maar gebruik slegs 'n baie, baie klein gedeelte van die program se vermoëns - hoofsaaklik die woordverwerker.

Weet jy van enige gratis (video) redigeerprogramme wat Peren sal kan gebruik indien hy daardie roete sou wou volg?

Janneman,

Ek gebruik ook net die heel basiese funksies van Open Office. Ek is net dankbaar bly dat daar is 'n Open Office en ek hoef nie vir MS Office te betaal nie!

Die beste gratis sagteware wat ek van weet is Microsoft se MovieMaker2. Dis doen al die basiese redigering.

Groetnis

Janneman & Ian,

Thanks for those inputs.

I did check on the Adobe Encore program and it does have a slideshow feature. Unfortunately maximum 99 slides - this is evidently a DVD restriction and nothing to do with Adobe. The guys on their FAQ forum seem to be in agreement that the slideshow capability is inferior to Adobe Premier Pro or Imaginate.

Major drawback of course is the up/down navigation in this program. Someone did say that you could get 99 x 99 slides on a disc but then you have to convert the presentation into a number of filmstrips. And then there are hiccups with transition from one strip to the next. Jy weet wat strip as ek al hierdie goed lees. :censored:

Seems to me that I should stick with the Power Point /Open Office type presentation on a CD for viewing a PC.

Ian, ek het die Open Office afgelaai en sal beslis met die ding rondspeel.

Weereens dankie vir julle moeite.

:ilikeit: