Sign in to follow this  
Sparks

USA or Australia

The cost of living in Kansas is much lower than the East or West coast. Salaries will be lower, but there will be a big saving in the cost of housing and good savings on monthly rentals. As the US is now heading into a recessionary period, so property prices should fall further.

I was offered a position in Kansas two years ago around $80 k. We decided against it due to the weather. Minneapolis also has long cold winter weather.

If your Australian offer is all secure then I would opt for that. The USA offer could take a long time to finalize.

7 degrees here in Washington today.

Best of luck.

Edited by oscar

Guest SAAussieChick
Hi

I am new to this forum. Visited the Aus forum a lot.

I am really in 2 minds at the moment. I read all the posts on this topic. We decided we wanted to leave SA, and started looking into jobs in Aus. The idea was to go over on a 457 workvisa and then apply for PR. Consequently we know more or less how these processes work and have done a lot of homework. My husband got a very good job offer in Melbourne and has accepted that. So, right, here we go, we are just waiting for the visa to be approved. We also decided to take a container.

No, life is not that easy! On 21 Dec (just the day before my father-in-law sadly passed away), the HR department of my husband's current company phoned him with a job proposal in Kansas City. Oh, no, what now??? I've always said either the US or Aus.

I hope someone can answer a few of my questions. What is the average salary (before tax) that you would consider enough for a family of 3 (we have a 15-month old daughter) to live comfortably? I work in SA, but we know the Aus salary would be enough for us for me to be able to stay home and work only part time later on if I wanted. It is crucial years for my daughter and I would like to spend more time with her and her sibling(s) to come. We have no frame of reference for the US. I know it depends on the area you live in etc, but just give me an idea, please. We are middle class people.....don't have the biggest car or the biggest house in the best area, but we manage the middle size car, the middle class neigbourhood, the middle size house, the maid twice a week, I can buy clothes cash at an average store (not going overboard of course), we can eat out every know and again, and besides the house and cars we have no debt. I know the credit record thing in the US is a big issue, whereas in Aus that is not an issue at all.

Then perhaps my absolute biggest concern. The weather!!!!! I see Kansas average a daytime high of 3 degrees Celsius in winter (January). Ouch! I'm an outdoor person. How do you cope with the cold weather and snow? I'm so afraid if my husband decide to take the US job that I will be miserable in winter. I'm miserable as it is in winter.

We are in the very fortunate position to have a job offer from Aus and they will sponsor the work visa (457) and an L1 visa for the US as it will only be an intercompany transfer and I am allowed to work on that. Why do I suddenly feel that I am complaining (am I?) with the cake with frosting under my arm, never mind the white bread. It also makes this decision so extremely, extremely difficult.

Any advice or viewpoints will be welcome

Alibaba

G'day Mate from the resident SAAussie ex MELBURNIAN in NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

I cant answer for you in the sense that this has to be your decision but what I will say is that if I had to do this again i.e immigrate I would definetly go to Aus and Melbourne (pronounced Melbin) first and then to the States as and Aussie on a work visa designed for Aussies

I know that you can work on a 457 whereas I dont believe you can on your husbands L1 on that my knowledge is insufficient ~ suggest you pm Saville he is the resident immi guy and as an Aussie on the Aussie visa not the H1B you can apply for permission to work also be aware on a 457 you have 28DAYS after your sponsor dismisses you to find a job and can get abridging visa for a further 28 days should that not work out to get out of the country. Here in the States (I stand to be corrected) if your fired you have 10 days to get out of the country before the 3/10 yr ban is imposed.

also the weather can play a role however that is something you have to decide on. Melbourne it also gets cold in winter (from june to anywhere late september) and it too can be 3 deg C in July/Aug in the morning not getting higher than 9 deg C

The credit record or lack of it is hugh... try and finance a vehicle and all that goes with that is a mission

car insurance is a rip off I am currently paying 4.5 times as much for a similar vehicle here in the states as in Aus

PM if I can help with comparisons although I live currently in Northern California but am a MELBURNIAN maybe I can elloborate further for you.

good luck in your decision, and although I am biased like Mara if it were me and I could do it again I would go MELBOURNE any day

The spouse of a L1 visa holder can work. You have to apply for work authorization and it takes about 3 months. ;)

Guest SAAussieChick
The spouse of a L1 visa holder can work. You have to apply for work authorization and it takes about 3 months. ;)

Thank you Mariette I have just found out something new

Then perhaps my absolute biggest concern. The weather!!!!! I see Kansas average a daytime high of 3 degrees Celsius in winter (January). Ouch! I'm an outdoor person. How do you cope with the cold weather and snow? I'm so afraid if my husband decide to take the US job that I will be miserable in winter. I'm miserable as it is in winter.

My only advice about the weather is, if you can manage moving in the spring it will be better. You can enjoy the summer and get the know the town - nothing worse IMO than moving to a place in the middle of winter, learning to drive in the snow and not knowing where you're going, it's just too overwhelming.

But once you move, you can find a moms group, go to play dates, ECFE, kiddy gym (too many to list) and find out what is in that area to do during the winter months... Sledding, ice skating, snow boarding, snowmobiling.

Like I said too about joining something with your little one on a weekly basis would make the winter months go by fast.

Edited by Monique

Hi everyone,

Can I ressurect this thread? :-)

You will NOT believe this, now that we are looking at 2 possible positions (still have to apply) in Memphis, one with a very good income, with the visas in passport and brown envelopes under the arm already, hubby was offered a job in Melbourne Aus just this morning!!! They want to know by Friday whether they should get their immigration lawyer started on organising his work visa.

So we are sitting with:

US PR visas and 'maybe job'

vs

Aus company sponsored work visas with definite job.

This is enough to tear my hair out. Guess I should not be complaining, other people are hoping for just ONE of the two, and here we have to make a decision.

Personally I have set my heart on the US, but hubby has family in Aus and NZ, and he asked me to look at the benefits of Aus (which I don't want to see now?), i.e. the low cost of medical compared to the US, living at the coast again (I love the sea), etc etc.

Heeeeeeeelp? Any good OR bad advice will be very helpful at this stage of the race.

Y

Heck what a decision to make.

You're getting out of SA for many reasons I assume. Follow your heart, pray about it and God will take you where he needs you to be.

Look at your options, keep an open mind. I'd say a job offer is a pretty secure reason to move to Australia.

That’s life, everything all at once or nothing at all!! Australia is a nice country especially around the Melbourne area. Jobs in the USA are very difficult at the moment.

Personally, I would go to Australia if you have everything secured with a confirmed job offer. :ilikeit:

Maybe the health insurance aspect may help decide. You better have plenty cash to live here (US) without HI while you find employement. Not sure how big your family is.

Jakeman

This might sound silly..... Why not fly into the USA to activate your Green Card. The go back to SA, and on to Australia. If you get there and decide you absolutely hate it, you have a year from when you landed in the USA to return here. This could be a costly exercise, but it keeps your options open. I don't know what checks the authorities do, and whether this is legally possible.

So we are sitting with:

vs

I can't tell you what to do; I can only point out something.

We all know the world's economy is in turmoil and Australia is not spared either. There are those who have lost their company sponsored visas because the company closed down or retrenched a few employees. Here is a thread on our sister forum, SAAustralia, addressing this issue. It basically boils down to the fact that if you don't have PR upon entering Australia and you lose your job, you have go back to SA within a very short period of time, unless you secure a new job within a month or so.

Having a USA Green Card is for most of us something akin to finding the Holy Grail. It does not give you any job security, but it gives you peace of mind - you can't be kicked out. And the way things are going now, most of us would rather be jobless and relatively safe in the US than employed and terrified in SA.

These are points to ponder in your decision making. Good luck.

So we are sitting with:

vs

I would just like to provide some clarification to you. On the USA side, you might have a visa for work, but that is NOT a Green Card, you probably have a work visa and if you lose the job that the visa was given for, you usually have to leave the USA. I just do not see a Green Card being issued with an employment opportunity. The Green Card usually only comes after you have already got here and worked and then look to adjust your visa status.

Just want to inform you so you check exactly what you have in terms of visa and not going to leave for the USA and then get a big shock if the job is lost.

Good luck

No mnctxusa, you have got it wrong, these folk have won a Green Card in the lottery it is not subject to getting employment.

Edited by oscar

No mnctxusa, you have got it wrong, these folk have won a Green Card in the lottery it is not subject to getting employment.

Oscar,

Thanks for the info, I must have missed that.

Thanks for all the comments so far. I REALLY appreciate it.

My head is really spinning :-). What a ridiculous situation to find ourselves in!

Anyway, after a LOOOONG backwards and forwards discussion last night we are now going to try this:

Apply for the USA job, see how long we can stall the Aus position, and then see what happens. And as Deedz said earlier - pray hard.

I was also thinking along the lines of what you said, Gomp - if we don't get the USA job, maybe accept the Aus job, then still fly to the US a few days before our visas expire, fly back to Aus, and if it is really awful (guess we would know within 6 months!), we still have that option?

Not my ideal though - expensive as you said.

Will let you know what happens..... :huh:

Edited by TheNelsons