Sign in to follow this  
Durbs

2007 Texas Potjiekos Weekend

The Texas (Houston) Potjiekos committee held a length committee meeting this past weekend with the view to make this year's Potjie a bigger and better event than past years. Check out the new and improved web page http://main.texaspotjie.com and sign up for this year's Potjie cook off.

Over how many days is it....when can be missed and when not....??

K

Over how many days is it....when can be missed and when not....??

K

Typically a 2 day event held over 3 days, the festival is held over the Labor Day weekend of Sept 1st to the 3rd. However most people will arrive on the Friday afternoon / evening of August 31st to set up camp.

Saturday the 1st is the Boerewors competition and Leibman's Wine tasting followed with a sokkie sokkie.

Sunday the 2nd is the day of the Potjie cook off, prize giving, dinner and more sokkie sokkie.

Monday the 3rd is day of recovery and breaking down of camp site.

Others on this site who have travelled as far as Kansas will tell you that there is not a day to be missed........

Edited by Durbs

I would advise everyone to attend this event, the whole event.

The atmosphere is like summer holidays on the coast in South Africa.

A good time is had by all!

Edited by larryG

I tried to book online but with no luck, says no sites available...??....Do we have to phone to book...?

K

I tried to book online but with no luck, says no sites available...??....Do we have to phone to book...?

K

Please call Connie Harrell of KOA (800) 562-5714 or (936) 594-4176 to make your reservation or to find out about alternative accomodation.

Due to the popularity of this event I would not be surprised that all accomodation if fully booked even that we are 6 months away from the event. Camping grounds should still be available if you want to put a tent or RV on it.

I would suggest you contact Connie and ask her what alternate accomodation there might be.......

I would suggest you contact Connie and ask her what alternate accomodation there might be.......

We have a camp site but we are also seeking a nearby hotel/motel that ouma can stay in that weekend.

Any suggestions or ideas would be great.

Can't wait to see some South Africans again... :ilikeit:

We have a camp site but we are also seeking a nearby hotel/motel that ouma can stay in that weekend.

Any suggestions or ideas would be great.

Can't wait to see some South Africans again... :ilikeit:

Grant a lot has taken place since last years event, the committee is planning to release updated news/happenings soon. The contact personell at KOA has changed and so to has the name; keep checking the Texas Potjie website often http://main.texaspotjie.com/

Texas Potjie Festival 2007

Date: Labor Day Weekend 1-3 September, 2007

Venue: Port Adventure RV, Lake Livingston, TX

Campsite Reservations: Call Debbie or Will

(936) 594-4176 OR 1-800-562-5714

Grant a lot has taken place since last years event, the committee is planning to release updated news/happenings soon. The contact personell at KOA has changed and so to has the name; keep checking the Texas Potjie website often http://main.texaspotjie.com/

Texas Potjie Festival 2007

Date: Labor Day Weekend 1-3 September, 2007

Venue: Port Adventure RV, Lake Livingston, TX

Campsite Reservations: Call Debbie or Will

(936) 594-4176 OR 1-800-562-5714

Thank you, but we reserved our 2 camp sites last year at the end of the event

#17 and #18.

I called around and the best deal i found for Hotel in the area (for Ouma) is

http://www.lakelivingstoninn.com/contact.html

About 25min drive from the camp site, incase anyone needs a place to stay.

$60 night.

Good luck

Just curious as I would like to meet some of Volk personally. My home is less than 25 miles from Lake Livingston & because I heard of Potjie Festival so late, have not booked accommodation. Two of my 3 travelling companions for my trip "home" in Oct. are eager to go too. Sort of like them giving a bit of a "culture shock" immersion for the trip :roflol:

My Afrikaans definitely needs brushing up after lamost 9 years. Must say reading the threads where replies are in "die taal" is certainly beneficial :ilikeit:

Nee, dis reg FlameLily .... jy sal sommer gou-gou Afrikaans weer onder die knie hê! :ilikeit: Ons klompie sal jou mooi reghelp. ;)

This old gal needs lots more info .. I'm not entering in any of the competitiions (don't even own a potjie - locally available cast iron pots, skillets etc. have filled my needs). I never even knew of this great get together / gathering was in the making until last week Tuesday & that was really a *HUGE* coincidence. A neighbourhood friend met a compatriot at a medical facility & recognised that the gal (actually a senior citizen - far more mature than I) was a S. African .. Rae passed on the info to me.

Questions:

1. Will food be available for purchase? Or do we need to bring our own?

2. Liquid refreshments other than the wine tasting - should be bring our own?

3. Will there be vendors for purchase "home made/home baked" specialties such as melktert & koeksusters?

4. Will there be vendors for purchase biltong & droere wors?

So many questions, I know. All the events Ed & I went to in NJ at Washington State Park were "bring your own" which we did .. Ed & I met some great folks & I have maintained in touch even tho' I am no longer in NJ!

Thanks - feed back will be much appreciated.

Gail aka FlameLily

Questions:

1. Will food be available for purchase? Or do we need to bring our own?

2. Liquid refreshments other than the wine tasting - should be bring our own?

3. Will there be vendors for purchase "home made/home baked" specialties such as melktert & koeksusters?

4. Will there be vendors for purchase biltong & droere wors?

So many questions, I know. All the events Ed & I went to in NJ at Washington State Park were "bring your own" which we did .. Ed & I met some great folks & I have maintained in touch even tho' I am no longer in NJ!

Gail aka FlameLily

Howzit Gail,

Hope this answers some of your questions;

This is the website for the Texas Potjiekos Competition http://main.texaspotjie.com/, here you can email them direct and get it from the horse’s mouth so to speak.

Answer;

1. This is an event that is held over Labor Day weekend with the Wine Tasting on Saturday evening and the Potjie on Sunday. Most people spend the weekend camping at the Potjie, day visitors are welcome. People bring there own food for the weekend but for the Potjie event there is a cost. You will note from the picture that there are about 20 pots to eat from. Everybody attending will be issued with wristbands.

2. Yes please bring your own refreshments there is no sale of refreshments.

3 & 4. Tough question, here the concern is if someone gets ill from food sold at the event can lead to law suits however there is a possibility that vendors can sell items other than food. You can obtain your favorites from individuals at there campsites.

I recommend that you register on there website even if you are not entering in the cooking competition and there by should receive update news and information on the weekend.

Thanks!

Your info is greatly appreciated.

Gail

This weekend is getting closer every day.

How far will you be traveling to this event?????

I am traveling from North Alabama