Sign in to follow this  
CherylA

How can my husband find work

My husband is a qualified lawyer who is earning less then R3500 here in South Africa. We have young children suffering poverty and he feels totally trapped! affirmavie action!!!! We have tried agents etc in US

MONEY! you need a trust account for a legal practice

The US is one of the toughest countries in the world to emigrate to. Have you thought of the UK as a stepping stone so you can get your financial house in a bit more order?

You should qualify to go to Oz or Canada with points, and both would be better solutions that what you are now in....

Go register and submit his resume online at various Australian and canadian Job Sites, as well as HotJobs and Monster, and give it a few weeks and see what happens...you might be surprised.

K

MONEY! you need a trust account for a legal practice

You need MONEY to immigrate too.

To summarize: The general consensus of our advice to CherylA: Sort out your immediate financial problems first. If in your current circumstances you somehow pull off an immigration and arrive in a foreign country while both financially and emotionally unprepared for the challenges of immigration, it is possible that you could end up worse off. This is why we are saying to CherylA, first solve the immediate problems, then make a decision about immigration.

Guest Charz
You need MONEY to immigrate too.

To summarize: The general consensus of our advice to CherylA: Sort out your immediate financial problems first. If in your current circumstances you somehow pull off an immigration and arrive in a foreign country while both financially and emotionally unprepared for the challenges of immigration, it is possible that you could end up worse off. This is why we are saying to CherylA, first solve the immediate problems, then make a decision about immigration.

Yes Creature you do need money however as Knersus (hello Boet) said Aus is one of the options that may be viable .. When we went to Aus in '98 we had less than AUD $3000 and yes hubby did have a job but it worked out and quickly too! company paid for everything and I mean everything visas, flights. accom, transport helped with obtaining a lease for the car and a lease for the house and paid for medical aid and yes I do agree that immediate problems need to be sorted as I want to stress we both had managment jobs that paid well so our situation was somewhat different.

Yes Creature you do need money however as Knersus (hello Boet) said Aus is one of the options that may be viable .. When we went to Aus in '98 we had less than AUD $3000 and yes hubby did have a job but it worked out and quickly too! company paid for everything and I mean everything visas, flights. accom, transport helped with obtaining a lease for the car and a lease for the house and paid for medical aid and yes I do agree that immediate problems need to be sorted as I want to stress we both had managment jobs that paid well so our situation was somewhat different.

Well I came over with one suitcase and about $ 10 in cash. Absolutely not the route to take if you have kids involved.

Of course if you are a single, even a couple, willing to rough it, live out of a backpack, then sure, I agree it can be done, and it will be fun. However, in my opinion, this does not apply in CherylA's context, as there are children, and some minimal responsibilities that ought to be met.

Since the main part of CherylA's inquiry seems to involve a lack of income in SA and concerns about providing for their family, simply immigrating to another country is not going to solve that problem. In fact immigration could place this family in an equally bad or worse situation.

The main problem here, based on my analysis of the provided details in CherylA's various posts, is financial. If her husband receives a firm job offer with improved salary prospects, then that would provide the opportunity to solve their financial problems. The emphasis is that immigration is not the solution, improving their income is the solution. If that job offer is in another country, well, then immigration becomes a consideration, and we can talk about those challenges separately. Look for better jobs in SA, and by all means, also look for better jobs overseas, but primarily look for a job, which may or may not happen to trigger immigration, as the case may be.

In the interests of offering CherylA responsible advice, I, along with a few other members recommend caution against simply trying to immigrate, with no plan, and a family, literally into the unknown. This is not to say they cannot make it work in a foreign country, as a family. It is merely to say that you need to have realistic expectations, and some kind of plan, even if it is a vague and broad plan. CherylA is free to consider and accept or reject this advice. No-one is prescribing anything here, just offering the benefit of our varied perspectives.

Edited by Creature