Sign in to follow this  
Chris T.

SA beer in Texas...

Greetings! I just found out that it is illegal to import any african beer into Texas. It seems we have to be happy with enjoying Miller products (owned by South African Breweries). I am quite unhappy about this piece of news.

Do they specifically have a problem with African beers? Smells like discrimination to me.

Here is Texas's statutes regarding importing of beer and liqour.

Thanks for the info! How/where did you have it shipped to you? i would be very interested in this! I want to have a popular store in Austin order it but they said it was illegal to do so.

I doubt that you will find somebody local willing to schlep through the paperwork to order somebody a case or two of Castle.

I would try the African Hut or similiar SA food and goods importers/distributors. Order directly from them and have it shipped to your house.

Thanks for the info! How/where did you have it shipped to you? i would be very interested in this! I want to have a popular store in Austin order it but they said it was illegal to do so.

I have ordered Castle from 'The African Hut' in the past in those days they came in the dumpy bottle. I ordered 24 and had 2 broken during shipment. I don't think it is worth the effort, you pay shipment by weight hence it is not cost effective and secondly there are way better beers in Texas. Shiner Bock and Ziggen Bock are two local beers that kick Castle a#s. The cost for a case (24 Castles) is $39.99 + $20.28 for ground shipping = $60.27 which is $2.51 each not worth it for a chemically processed beer when Shiner is about 95 cents each. Not to mention the selection.

SHINER 98 BAVARIAN AMBER LAGER 12 oz 6 Pk $6.24 Case $23.13 [ 4]

* (TEXAS) 6PK LNNR [u.S.A.]

SHINER BLONDE * (TEXAS) 12PK LNNR 12 OZ 11.46 22.93 [ 2]

SHINER BLONDE * (TEXAS) 6PK LNNR 12 OZ 6.24 23.13 [ 4]

SHINER BLONDE * (TEXAS) LNNR EACH 12 OZ 1.72 [24]

SHINER BOCK * (TEXAS) 12PK LNNR 12 OZ 11.46 22.93 [ 2]

SHINER BOCK * (TEXAS) 6PK LNNR 12 OZ 6.24 23.13 [ 4]

SHINER BOCK * (TEXAS) CANS 12 OZ 1.33 25.84 [24]

SHINER FAMILY REUNION * (TEXAS) 12oz 19.99 [ 1]

24/PACK CASE [u.S.A.]

SHINER HEFE-WEIZEN * (TEXAS 12oz 11.46 22.93 [ 2]

MICRO) 12PK LNNR [u.S.A.]

SHINER HEFE-WEIZEN * (TEXAS 12oz 6.24 23.13 [ 4]

MICRO) 6PK LNNR [u.S.A.]

SHINER LIGHT * (TEXAS) 12PK 12 OZ 11.46 22.93 [ 2]

LNNR [u.S.A.]

SHINER LIGHT * (TEXAS) 6PK 12 OZ 6.24 23.13 [ 4]

LNNR [u.S.A.]

SHINER SEASONAL * (TEXAS MICRO) 120Z 6.24 23.13 [ 4]

6PK LNNR

SHINER SEASONAL * (TEXAS MICRO) 120Z 1.72 [24]

LNNR EACH

My understanding about SA Brewery products in the USA was that there was an agreement between Anheuser-Busch and SAB regarding the sale of SAB products in the USA. This comes from a SA source in the States who imports SA wines into the USA. When one thinks about it this may be the reason behind SAB buying out Miller. The point we could not understand was that you could get Castle from places like 'The African Hut' who openly advertise there products on the web and are based out of California.

I am sorry this was a while back and I can't remember who I ordered it from.

Friends went to World Market and they (World Market) said that they can get it for them.

You might try that if you have a World Market closeby.

I have also heard about this "no import"-thing in Texas, but it hasn't bothered me much.

Here I agree with Durbs that there are so many good beers available cheaply at local grocery stores that I don't think it's worth the bother or expense to try to bring in Castle. A while ago I discovered Shiner Hefeweizen and haven't looked back!

I drink Castle when I go back to SA to visit. The first few cold ones are special because they bring back old memories, but after that, I think I prefer my local brew...