Sign in to follow this  
Tokolosi

Video Game Consoles

Please help. If you are an avid gamer or maybe have kids that are you could be saving my sanity. I have a question about video games. I want to buy a system. My children is between 7 and 11 and are (politically correctly) representing both genders.

Now considering I gave you an unlimited budget and the instruction to go and buy the game console that is best suited for their current age, has possibilities for adapting as we get older and is well put together (aka my 7 year old wont break it the 2nd day).

What would you buy and why?

Here are your choices:

1) Microsoft XBox

2) Sony Playstation

3) Nintendo Wii

Any input would be appreciated.

My 8 year old got a Sony Playstation for her birthday last year - she loves the dance mat and it is a form of exercise as well. I have 2 girls so they like the same thing - with son and daughter you could have some fights. I have heard the the Wii is great but maybe that is more for Dad and his fun .......

She now wants the PSP which is personal one and if they both get one the can attach and play each other and then they also have the choice of their own games to play at the same time - it also has mp3 player, you can attach to the internet, and watch movies if you have the right cards etc with it - which of course costs more.

Simone

PS2 is probably your best value for money :ilikeit: , as the choice in games are awsome and fairly cheap. The Wii on the other hand seems to be good fun for the whole family, but you have limited game choices and it is a bit more expensive. Ps3 is just over rated to my meaning. :whome:

For the longterm the PS3 handsdown. The games will catch up with the technology build into this wonder.

For instant gratification get a Wii.

If you want to fix a console every few months or replace it frequently get the XBox. (Read here)

Good luck

Edited by Ian

I would go for the PS3 as it comes with a built-in Blu-Ray DVD player (which costs around $500 if you buy a stand alone one). This way your kids can enjoy games and you can enjoy some Blu Ray DVD's!

By the way there has just been a $100 price drop on the 60GB PS3!

Wii ------- and if the kids touch it, break their fingers! ;) I have watched my nieghbour and his kids have hours of enjoyment and it is a tossup as to who enjoys it most. The kids or Dad. Kids aged between 6 - 14

For the longterm the PS3 handsdown. The games will catch up with the technology build into this wonder.

For instant gratification get a Wii.

If you want to fix a console every few months or replace it frequently get the XBox. (Read here)

Good luck

My husband say this also Ian, says it is a wonder box. He is in love with it. :wub: I am happy with the PS2, it does it for me, but might get into the wonder box one day I pressume. Blue Ray disk, look like my HD tv. But I am just a simple girl from......., anyway I thinks some cool kids will like the PS3 Toks.

I love the Wii!!! I can play that bowling all day if I could :whome: Although your arms do get sore for a few days in the beginning but it's all worth it!

DH likes his PS3 but the downside of it is games are spendy not to mention the game itself....

I'd say our nieces & nephews under 13 plays with the Wii more & the older ones prefer the Wii & PS3 only because I think the games are too complicated for the younger ones.

Toks - if you decide on the Wii - good luck on finding

one - if you or anyone could let me know where it

is possible for the 2 ahem "youths" :whome: in

our household to buy one - PLEASE let me know !!

Thanks for all the feeddback guys & dolls.

This is my train of thought on this:

Xbox is cool but the games are not really kid friendly and its expensive.

PS3 is awesome, lots of game potential , expensive as all hell.

Wii is kid friendly and relatively cheap but nowhere to be found for sale.

(even while Wii is 'cheapest" it's still going to cost about $500 after the console an additional remote and 1 or 2 games :blink: )

So, I think, that I will get a new PS2 for about $130 since I already has extra controllers etc. Plus there are tons of games at relatively good prices available.

Even though I am not involved in the gaming world anymore (THANK GOODNESS) I would go for the PS3. That along with Gameboy were the platforms that we mostly produced for!!!

My old boss just sent me some of the new mind games for my Gameboy (it pays to still be on good terms with your old employer) and I love them, nothing like passing the morning commute trying to get smarter :whome: :ilikeit:

A very good economical choice Tok :ilikeit: , I am planning the same thing, PS2 is tops! :D

You can also check CL for a Wii, my nephew actually just posted his Wii on CL today including his games for $340 which he bought in June.

:ilikeit: Craigs list worked for us - we got one over the

weekend from a dude who managed to buy 2 from ToysRus

and he wanted $50 for his troubles - so we are now proud

owners of Wii YAY !!!!