Sign in to follow this  
iceman

S.A bar/pub in NYC?

Hi guys

Does anyone know of a S.A bar in the NYC area?? I'll be in N.Y From wed thru sat next week. Any info welcome.

Many thanks

Let us know how it was. Enjoy your trip!

Ek's nou bietjie dronkgeslaan :o When in Rome do as the Romans do! :unsure: Hoekom op aarde sal jy 'n SA pub in NYC wil besoek? Soveel clubs& pubs en jy wil na 'n SA pub?? :blink:

Anyway, wish I were in your shoes!! It will be my turn but only in April 2008!!! Just LOVE NYC ! :ilikeit:

Enjoy the Big Apple!

Die verskil, Polfyntjie, is dat as jy al 'n lang ruk hier is dan mis jy dit. Ek het omtrent heeltemal geasimileer, maar dis lekker om so dan en wan bietjie die 'old country' te ervaar. En daar is nie op elke hoek 'n SA pub nie. Ek weet van 4 of 5 verspry oor die hele VSA.

Die verskil, Polfyntjie, is dat as jy al 'n lang ruk hier is dan mis jy dit. Ek het omtrent heeltemal geasimileer, maar dis lekker om so dan en wan bietjie die 'old country' te ervaar. En daar is nie op elke hoek 'n SA pub nie. Ek weet van 4 of 5 verspry oor die hele VSA.

O Toggie! Ek't my nou weer heeltemal blond gedra! :blush: Jammer, ek't nie besef Iceman is al solank in die VSA nie. Gedink hy gaan die VSA besoek lol :P Ja nee mens se wortels is maar diep. :)

O Toggie! Ek't my nou weer heeltemal blond gedra! :blush: Jammer, ek't nie besef Iceman is al solank in die VSA nie. Gedink hy gaan die VSA besoek lol :P Ja nee mens se wortels is maar diep. :)

ja nee :D ek was so lank laas in S.A dat ek nou erenstig n castle en bobotie in die hande moet kry!! :ilikeit:

re Madiba's - ate there. It was nice to get some of the old tastes again, but moersa expensive, I thought..

chicken livers are to die for, the curry's so-so, baboetie's nice - but it tasted a bit like they'd thawed it out and stuck it in a pan to heat it up, melk tert was a dud, but koeksusters were awesome..

big thing that I only learned after buying a whole bunch of rusks n things was that the various products they sell in the place, can be bought online for much much cheaper, grrr..

still, like I said, its good to taste the foods again.. Its a bit of a schlep if you're doing subway - but for cheering up, nothing beats some of the tastes of SA..

Just for forumites info, there's a NEW SA 'winebar' in NY..

Havent been there yet, but they not only have the usual SA wines, they have food :)

http://www.xaixaiwinebar.com/menu.html

(they dont seem to have their prices up) - still - its nice to know there's a place one can get

the odd boerewors roll, without having to schlep up into Brooklyn.. although - checking their

open times, seems to only be late afternoon/evenings..

"Bar Hours

Sun - Thurs: 5pm - 12am

Fri & Sat: 5pm - 2am

The name is pronounced 'shai shai'..

http://www.xaixaiwinebar.com/

365 W51 St. Hells Kitchen,

New York City, 10018

Call : 212 541 9241

Fax : 212 810 4328

info[at]xaixaiwinebar.com

One lists all the wines by the bottle ($22-$550) and glass ($9-$22); a second lists meats and cheeses ($5-$10 each); and a third gives the daily specials, including two "flight" options; one red ($22) and one white ($15). Since the flights allowed us to sample three different varieties - thoroughly described, as opposed to the full menu that just listed the standard grape, region and vintage - we went for the flights.

Mr Frankenstein I assume you not been there yet

The above quote is from the press release and makes interesting reading

Only two of the listed newspapers food and wine critics have written articles -- noting that the Wine bar opened in May 2007 sadly the others have not found the time to attend the venue

Reading the write up about the people involved was interesting ---

The site is very well presented and tastefully projected (it invites you in with out the hype and clutter)

Hopefully I will see you there soon

Good Luck :ilikeit: XAI XAI

Edited by Korky

Thanks for that info..

There's so much great (and more or less) cheap SA foods - that I dont know why more of the profit minded SA folks

havent tried starting up small variations of venues or outlets.. Its irritating that just about every other country on earth is represented

in NY and surrounding region - yet SA folk have pretty much only got Madiba's - and the far too irregular Scarsdale Braai thing.

(need more braai's!)

Outside of the South and bits of Canada, I don't know why the SA entrepreneurs haven't operated like all the other countrys

money-grabbers, and tried starting up tiny cubbyhole-sized grocery stores in NY. There must be enough SA people to keep the things going.

Heh, I'm just grumbling, don't mind me. I made myself hungry.. As long as I don't think of boerewors, I'm fine :P

Just get tired of seeing big communities of other countries people, and all of them getting their standard foods easily supplied,

whereas SA people seem to be reduced sitting at home in isolation, and sending off online for stuff..

*grumble grumble grumble* :)

Alright my take on the South African options available -

1. Madiba - 195 Dekalb Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11205 Tel: (718) 855-9190

Website - http://www.madibarestaurant.com/

My take on it - a schlep to get there but ultimately just simply wonderful. They have such great vetkoek and very interesting events. I love their malva pudding! I have been there a few times and I do not find them more expensive than a lot of other restaurants in the area. It would be utterly wonderful if they had an Afrikaans night though - but I do not see that happening anytime soon. Still really tugs at the heart strings.

2. Xai Xai wine bar - 369 West 51st Street New York, NY 10019(212) 541-9241

Website - http://www.xaixaiwinebar.com/

My take on it - awesome place with super friendly SA wait staff. The wine and food is crazy good and they are more expensive than Madiba. It is more sophisticated though and one can get stuck there. The atmosphere is also not quite as down-home as in Brooklyn. The venue is small but cozy and always filled. It is good to go there for some good Stellenbosch wines.

3. Braai - 329 West 51st Street New York, NY 10019(212) 315-3315

Website - http://www.braainyc.com/

My take on it - the last time I was there they had a very nice young man from Bloemfontein as one of the managers. Good SPRINGBOKKIES and very good food. Loved their koeksisters. This is definitely upscale and more expensive though. Love the atmosphere as it is almost always frequented by theater folk!

There was a bunny chow place too, but alas that closed! I really want to know if there are groups of South Africans here so we could organize a braai or something?