Sign in to follow this  
Monique

Car Seat Policies

Say you were in a minor car accident, what is the rules on car seats? Can they be claimed on your insurance policy? Do they need to be inspected first before the claim? Or is it just a hassle and better to go out and buy new once?

No, I haven't been in a accident, but I hit a patch of black ice a few days ago and almost caused one on the highway :huh: And it got me thinking about the car seats for when it does happen.

I am sure that if you went down to your local police dept they would check the seats for you. Even the parameds at the fire station should do it for you.

Have them checked - you carry very precious cargo!! :)

Bev

One of my very good friends is a fireman here in San Diego. He has informed me that they do not install carseats. So make sure to call the firestation in advance. It may be different in Minnesnowta or Calerinee They have to constantly tell people who show up at the stations they cant do it.

My wife had a very minor accident a few months ago and she claimed a new car seat from the insurance. All we did was to buy a new one and claimed the money back. They were very nice about it.

You might want to contact your Police Department - but call ahead as not every officer is qualified to install. You might also contact your car dealer - that's who checked out my daughter's car seats - they have an authorized rep on site.

One of the big insurance companies(I don't remember which one) have a "bring your car seat in for inspection and proper fitting" day. Usually in spring time.

Anyway .... If you call the insurance company they will be able to help.

It depends on your insurance company. Most companies are very proactive about covering crashed seats regardless of the manufacturer or crash details.

NHTSA.gov

Child Restraint Re-use After Minor Crashes

NHTSA Position

NHTSA recommends that child safety seats be replaced following a moderate or severe crash in order to ensure a continued high level of crash protection for child passengers.

NHTSA recommends that child safety seats do not automatically need to be replaced following a minor crash.

Minor crashes are those that meet ALL of the following criteria:

The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;

The vehicle door nearest the safety seat was undamaged;

There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;

The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND

There is no visible damage to the safety seat

Clarifying the need for child seat replacement will reduce the number of children unnecessarily riding without a child safety seat while a replacement seat is being acquired, and the number of children who will have to ride without a child seat if a seat were discarded and not replaced. The clarification will also reduce the financial burden of unnecessary replacement.

We were involved in a minor accident in 2005. Our vehicle was driveable but on the recommendation of the state police we had it towed (it was very clearly not Hubbys fault, so we knew we wouldnt have to pay for it). We hitched a ride in an ambulance (I was 15 wks pregnant with my daughter) and our neigbors came to pick us up at the hospital that evening.

Long story short :) I had no problem replacing my sons seat. I called the insurance who told me to buy a seat and fax them the receipt. They printed and mailed a check the same day. I called Evenflo to report that we are destroying the seat, they offered to send me a letter for the insurance company but I told them we dont need it.

Blame was 100% assigned to the other driver and he was cited for not safely yielding with traffic after proceeding from a stop sign. His insurance paid for the damages, new carseat, rental car and medical expenses, didnt cost us a penny.