(800) 662-4143 or (903) 683-6641

0r Reserve online: ruskkoa[at]mykoa.com

For Directions to the KOA Campgrounds go to:

http://www.koa.com/where/tx/43233/

Mention you are part of the South African Group and

Receive a 10% discount on Reservations from KOA

The facilities are immaculate.

Alternative Accommodations: Weston Inn & Suites www.westoninnrusk.com

There is a $10.00 Entry Fee per Adult (children under 12 free) to attend the Texas Potjie Festival for the whole Labor Day weekend. This is payable at the Rusk KOA office.

This years Main Category for the Texas Potjie Cook-off is:

CHICKEN

Besides the Main Category there are 3 other types of Potjiekos one can enter into the Texas Potjie Cook-off:

• Open Category—any entrée other than Chicken

• Bread Category—any type of ‘pot brood’

• Dessert Category—any type of desserts cooked in a potjie

This is also our 3rd Annual

The Best Boerewors in Texas Competition

Here Contestants compete for the title for having the best homemade Boerewors in Texas

Other Attractions in Rusk, TX are the longest footbridge in the USA, and the Texas State Railroad (www.TexasStateRR.com.) We are busy organizing a discounted group rate for those interested in taking a ride on an authentic steam train.

Lastly, we are currently putting together a detailed Texas Potjie Festival Program with the Labor Day Weekends Agenda and Rules for the Competitions. These will be posted on this web site in the near future BUT in the mean time make sure to make your Cabin, RV, or campsite reservations with KOA as soon as you can.

Hey guys! I think this year's Potjie is yet again going to be a blast. It is a different venue this year because the previous venue is no longer available. It will be a slightly further drive for some people, but it will also be a shorter drive for others.

The campground is really nice and well-maintained. There is a small playground for the kids, a few go-karts for rent, and a decent pool. The owners of this KOA are also very keen to help make this a great event. Walt, one of the owners, says that there is usually a light breeze that helps to keep things cool, but more importantly for the kids, it makes for great kite-flying. So if you have a kite, bring it along!

Hope to see you there! :ilikeit:

John

PS. I want to stress... if you're planning to go, make your reservations now. If you prefer a hotel, as Durbs mentioned, there is a hotel a couple of miles down the road.

Bookings are coming in rapidly - !!!!! All of the cabins are gone, and we've started a wait list in case there are any cancellations, etc. We're also suggesting a local (1-2 miles away) hotel, the Weston Inn & Suites, (903) 683-8383, and there are several nice little B&Bs in the area if anyone wants to go a bit more upscale.

We've mentioned to a couple of people that we can take care of train reservations for the group if there's enough interest and I'll get a rate and let you know. We'll be glad to arrange the tickets. If you go, it's almost an all-day event, so I would assume you'd prefer it for Sunday if your events are on Saturday. Just let me know.

We're SO excited about this event! Can't wait to have everyone here.

Carol Preble

Rusk KOA

Good stuff. I am all booked ready to go.

:ilikeit:

Knowing how rowdy Foolie and Larry can get, but really wanting a shaded campsite that seem to all have been taken, I searched for alternative camping away from it all.

I found some 6 miles away at the Rusk State Park (www.TexasStateRR.com). This is where the Historic railroad station (depot) is.

Downside is that I will now need a driver to get to bed; I can still stumble to the car. :ilikeit:

Apparently there are 70 sites of Tent & RV, no Cabins.

Durbs

Watter is die naaste lughawe om heen te vlieg vir die Texas Potjiekos? Hoe ver is dit van die terrein af? My dogter en haar vriendin beplan om te gaan. Is daar ander jong mense? of is dit 'n bymekaar kom vir families?

Durbs

Watter is die naaste lughawe om heen te vlieg vir die Texas Potjiekos? Hoe ver is dit van die terrein af? My dogter en haar vriendin beplan om te gaan. Is daar ander jong mense? of is dit 'n bymekaar kom vir families?

Hettie, hierdie kaart wys waar Rusk (die plek waar die Potjie gehou word) geleë is. Rusk is effens nader aan Dallas as Houston.

Dankie vir die inligting

Hi guys,

Well its just over a month till Labor Day Weekend and the Texas Potjie Festival. Bookings are going fast so if you are still interested please visit our website www.texaspotjie.com. Besides the usual fan fare we are also having a watermellon eating contest for the kids. :ilikeit: If anyone is attending the Festival and wants to be a judge for the competion please send us an email.

I must say I am a bit jealous that we will not be able to be there. It sounds like its goung to be a blast.

I must say I am a bit jealous that we will not be able to be there. It sounds like its goung to be a blast.

The same here but the distance to travel is just to far. Would love to attend it next year thou!

Well that days are melting away (because it's so hot). We are exited to see everyone again. Nothing like enjoying a good weekend at a campsite fulled with our own people.

Hope to see you guys/girls soon.

1) KOA is offering a Texas size breakfast for those who would like to save themselves the hassle of cooking a meal on the last day of the Potjie “Monday Morning“ for $6.00 per person. You may call Carol or Walter 903-683-6641 to reserve your breakfast now.

2) Also Rusk is in a DRY county so make sure to stock up on your adult beverages for the whole of the weekend. The next county over does sell beer and liquor but it is a 25 mile round trip from KOA.. We will however be providing some drinks at the Sokkie on Saturday night.

3) For those not staying overnight at the KOA campgrounds there is a $5 per day fee for the use of their facilities“ i.e. bathrooms, the hall, playground, hiking trails and pool“which is payable at the KOA office.

4) Besides the usual fanfare we are also organizing a Watermelon Eating Contest for the kids on Saturday and we will be also handing out ice-cream and cookies as well.

5) There will be a Kerkdiens in Afrikaans on Sunday morning, the day of the Potjie Cook-off for all you sinners. All are most welcome.

6) Just a reminder that there is a $10 attendance fee for the Texas Potjie Festival itself this is payable in the KOA office as well.

7) Anyone who would like to volunteer to be a judge for the Boerewors or Potjie cook off please let us know. Our email is texaspotjie[at]texaspotjie.com

8) For those interested in the Steam Train excursion go to www.texasstaterr.com for more information the train leaves the Rusk Station on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday around 11 am.

9) Those who haven't yet booked your RV, or Campsite yet it is imperative that you do so now.

10) Lastly, keep checking the www.texaspotjie.com website for the latest updates and Festival program schedule.

[color="#FF0000]Texas Potjie Festival 2008[/color]

Rusk, Texas Labor Day Weekend

Hi Everyone,

Well its less than 3 weeks till the Labor Day Weekend and the response has been magnificent. It's going to be a great weekend. Just to get you up to speed:

1) We have posted the Texas Potjie Festival Schedule on our website to give you an idea of this year's events. Some of the things being planned are a Watermelon Eating Contest for the kids, a Cricket and a Touch Rugby match, and a church service in Afrikaans on Sunday Morning. Please visit our website www.texaspotjie.com for the full details.

2) For those wanting to participate in the rugby or cricket matches please bring along any paraphernalia (bats, balls etc) that you might have.

3) Those who are planning to take a trip on the Texas State Railroad, the steam train leaves 11 am on Saturday and Sunday morning. Visit their website www.texasstaterr.com for more information.

4) Those who would like breakfast from KOA on Monday morning need to book now. Call Carol 903-683-6641 to book your breakfast.

5) Just to remind you again the town of Rusk is located in a DRY county so make sure to stock up on your adult beverages to save you the hassle from having to drive the next county over to get your supplies.

6) There is a $10 attendance fee for the Texas Potjie Festival itself--this is payable in the KOA office. Children under 12 years old attend for free.

7) We still need judges for the Potjie Cook-off and Boerewors Contest. If you would like to volunteer please email us at texaspotjie[at]texaspotjie.com

Groete

The Texas Potjie Festival :ilikeit:

[b]Texas Potjie Festival 2008 Shedule

[/b]

Saturday 30th August 2008

8.00 am Arrive at KOA Rusk en uitspan

12.00 pm Registration in the Hall

1.00 pm Cricket Match Friendly

3.00 pm Watermelon Eating Contest for kids

5.00 pm Judges Meeting for Best Boerewors in Texas Contest

5.30 pm Judging for the Best Boerewors in Texas begins.

6.00 pm Touch Rugby Friendly

7.30 pm Awards Ceremony for Best Boerewors In Texas winner

9.00 pm

Sokkie Brought to you by Syla and the Kwagga Rugby Club

Sunday 31st August 2008

9.00 am Kerkdiens in Hall led by Ds. Botha

11.30 am Start preparing for the Texas Potjie Cook-off

1.00 pm Ice Cream and Cookies for the kids in Hall

3.30 pm Judges Meeting for Potjie Cook-off

4.00 pm Judging for the Bread entries

4.30 pm Judging for the Dessert entries

5.00 pm Judging for the Open Category entries

5.30 pm Judging for the Chicken entries

6.00 pm Dinner

7.30 pm Award Ceremony for the Texas Potjie Cook-off

9.00 pm Potjie Celebration Party

Monday 1st September 2008

8.00 am KOA Breakfast

Inspan en trek huis toe

VISIT the South Africans in Austin website to get their latest NEWSLETTER. Go to: www.sa-austin.com for more info.

What Everyone Needs to Know about the Texas Potjie Festival especially Day Trippers

The Texas Potjie Festival is more of a gathering or camping rally rather than a Festival per se. It could be described as an old fashioned Nagmaal. People are coming as far way as North Carolina and Wisconsin. There are people that sell their homemade boerewors, droerwors, biltong, koeksusters, some sell South African products like Mrs Balls Chutney etc but really it is about kuiering together and enjoying our South African cultural heritage. People wander campsite to campsite speaking and kuiering with each other. The idea of the Potjie is not to make it too commercialized or make it a too regulated weekend schedule that people have no time to rest. It is, after all, a no worries, care free, weekend. So everyone feel free to bring your braais, chairs, picnic things along and join the fun even if for a day.

People usually arrive either Friday evening or Saturday morning and set up camp. This year we have put together such events as a cricket match friendly (bring your bat, balls and other cricket paraphernalia if you have it), and a watermelon eating contest for the kids on Saturday. The Best in Texas Boerewors Contest judging begins at 5.30 pm so people usually start their braais around 4 pm. Although I am sure you could pinch a piece of wors here and there, the Festival does not provide dinner on Saturday night. So why not come and braai with us instead.

Around 7.30 pm is the Award Ceremony for The Best Boerewors in Texas and just thereafter the Saturday Night Sokkie begins. We provide some wine, beer and snacks in the hall to get the dans going. Last year the Sokkie ended around 1.30 am and a few die-hards went on till sunlight.

Sunday is the day of the Texas Potjie Cook-off so most of the day is spent by the contestants in their respective camps preparing and cooking the entries. This year however we are having an Afrikaans church service at 9.00 am in the hall. We will also be handing out ice-cream and cookies for the kids at 1.00 pm. Judging starts at 4 pm and goes through till 6-6.30 or so. After that is dinner.

Contestants take their pots up to the hall and there everyone (even those who did not enter a pot) dishes up. The idea is to share our food with each other. From year to year the amount of pots vary—some years we had up to 48 Potjies and others as low as 25—so you may want a back-up plan if you have hungry teenagers. This year Chicken is the main category and we expect a great turnout.

Then we have the Awards Ceremony for the Texas Potjie Festival Cook-Off and afterwards there is kuiering, music and perhaps some more dancing for those who want to.

The Texas Potjie Festival is charging $10 per Adult (12 and under is free) for the whole weekend—Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Even if you decide to come up just for the day the cost is still $10.

KOA is also charging a one-time $10 per person fee that covers the whole weekend for those who are NOT booked at their campgrounds—i.e. day trippers or those staying at the hotels. This is for the use of KOA facilities--they have a large pool, playground for kids, go-carts for hire, immaculate toilets and showers, a hall etc for your use.

Campsites at KOA start at $21 per day for 2 people and additional $5 per person thereafter per campsite. If you still need to book call Carol at 903-683-6641.

I hope this gives you the information you need for the Texas Potjie Festival otherwise email us at texaspotjie[at]texaspotjie.com or visit our website at www.texaspotjie.com

Groete

The Texas Potjie Festival Team :ilikeit: