Sign in to follow this  
Annetta

Anywhere similar to JHB's weather?

My parents will be following us to the US. My husband and I are quite keen on Austin. However my mother had a fit when she heard it is hot and humid-ish.

Is there any where in the US that has similar weather to JHB - without the tornadoes? :blink: Of which my whole family is nervous.

We live in Austin, and while it can be humid at times, it usually isn't anywhere near Durban's humidity. Houston is much worse than Austin. About heat and humidity, you may not be aware of it, but most American homes are equipped with central air conditioners and heating devices that provide cool air or heat throughout the entire house.

Austin's climate has never bothered us. Yes, it can get quite hot in the summer, but the A/C in the house takes care of that. Spring can produce a fair amount of thunderstorms, and sometimes a tornado warning is issued by the weather service, but tornadoes are not as common in Austin as they further to the north in Texas, and then into Oklahoma and Kansas. Here your can read a little more about Austin's weather.

The thing with South Africa's weather is, it is fantastic. I think it's just about only the San Diego area that has the type of weather that we were used to in South Africa. For the rest of it, you will have to get used to something different.

Edited by John

I live in Greenville SC and think it is quite similar to Johannesburg.

It has more really cold days in winter and can be humid at times in summer, but it isn't unbearable.

In any case, you live in air con or central heating where ever you live, so it is never really a problem.

We are in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains so we miss most of the severe weather. We are about 5 hours from the coast (Myrtle Beach) so the hurricanes are not a problem except that we would get heavy rain.

I am about 2 hours from Charlotte NC, which is also really nice.

Bev

Thanks Bev and John.

Besides tornadoes, high humidity - Durbs style and heavy snow, we'll probably be fine. It's sometimes too easy to look for the familiar when an adventure awaits!

However I'd like to be close to something a little familiar...

South Carolina looks like a popular spot. The cost of living is cheaper and you get better value for your money when purchasing property.

Here in Washington, DC we have four distinct seasons.

The summers are hot and humid with thundershowers (June –Sept) 28 -37 degrees

Fall season – (mid September – November) best time of the year.

Winter (December – Mid April) minus -9 degrees 6 - 10 inches of snow on average two big snowstorms per winter.

Spring (mid April – May) 21 degrees

I have included a link to some useful information.

http://www.kiplinger.com/magazine/archives...-work-play.html

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2006/top100/

Edited by oscar

San Diego is temperate. It is much like the Western Cape coastal zone.

I do think that having a good climate is important, however, you should not base your entire desiscion on where you want to settle solely on that. Every part of this USA has its own pro's and con's. Some places have snowy winters but the pluss side is you have beautifull white Christmas'es and you can take up skiing. Earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, snowstorms, black ice, heat, humidity, rain 300 days a year. There is no place that doesnt have something you cant bitch about. You should make sure that you go somewhere that gives you a balance of what you need as far as family, schools, jobs, lifestyle go.

When are you planning to move Anetta?

This is about the closest you will get... *Click* ^_^

Randsburg, Johannesburg and Red Mountain are three small towns along U.S. Highway 395 between Ridgecrest and Boron, California. They are the mining district towns of the Rand Area, the gold and silver mining belt of Kern County, named after the Witwatersrand of South Africa.

Was al deur Johannesburg, California.

Dis nou wel dalk 'n myndorp en het die regte naam maar ek sou reken hulle moes dit eerder vernoem het na Hotazhel want dit is bloedig warm daar in die somer en snerpend koud in die winter. As jy soentoe gaan moet jy maar pasop vir die hoender in die pad. As jy vir hom uitswaai ry jy die hele dorp dalk mis. No joke.

P9210207.jpg

Klik bietjie *hier* en besoek Google se kaarte. Daar is 'n paar oulike foto's om na te kyk en as julle 'n bietjie inzoem op Johannesburg, sal julle jou werklikwaar 'n "Oompaul St" sien! Kan jy meer?!

En 'n nabygeleê myn is... King Solomon's Mine!

Al wat nou kort is Tant Ralie se Losieshuis en die plek is prima.

I find Columbia's weather very similar to Johannesburg. A little more humid but not bad at all. Not too many bugs either.

Guest SAAussieChick
I find Columbia's weather very similar to Johannesburg. A little more humid but not bad at all. Not too many bugs either.

Northern California .ie. past San Francisco ie towards SACRAMENTO

Hi All

Thanks for the wealth of data. Tokolosi we are in the process of looking for jobs and we may also have the L1a visa route if we can raise enough seed capital.

Once we get jobs/raise capital we will know when we will be heading out. We hope within the next twelve months.

SC and NC and Columbia will now go onto our investigation list as well as San Diego.

Thanks again and also for those of you that supplied links - very helpful.