Sign in to follow this  
usadele

Verizon and receiving text messages from Vodacom

Hi,

This forum has been a great help getting me settled in the US. I have yet another question: For some strange reason I can receive text messages from SA from MTN subscribers, but none from Vodacom. All mine, sent my from carrier Verizon, go through to all parties just fine. Anyone else who has had this issue and been able to resolve it?

Hi,

This forum has been a great help getting me settled in the US. I have yet another question: For some strange reason I can receive text messages from SA from MTN subscribers, but none from Vodacom. All mine, sent my from carrier Verizon, go through to all parties just fine. Anyone else who has had this issue and been able to resolve it?

Hi usadele,

I have the same problem. I don't receive any of my messages from any service provider outside the US. My husband called Verizon, but they told him there is nothing wrong on their side, it must be the service provider in SA thats having problems. I just gave up, so the problem is still ongoing. Sorry I couldn't be of any help, but I understand your frustration.

I believe it has something to do with the "system" or "protocols" or whatchamacallit used by the service providers. I realize things change quickly in the field of telecommunications, but we were told (4 years ago) that Vodacom uses the GSM "system" and Verizon does not - and therefore they do not "understand" each other. T-Mobile was apparently the only provider "talking" to Vodacom's "system".

Perhaps MTN have switched to a different "system"? I don't know - guessing. :unsure:

Guest SAAussieChick
I believe it has something to do with the "system" or "protocols" or whatchamacallit used by the service providers. I realize things change quickly in the field of telecommunications, but we were told (4 years ago) that Vodacom uses the GSM "system" and Verizon does not - and therefore they do not "understand" each other. T-Mobile was apparently the only provider "talking" to Vodacom's "system".

Perhaps MTN have switched to a different "system"? I don't know - guessing. :unsure:

Verizon uses CDMA only as such you cant use the phone outside usa as it is not gsm supported

I have the same problem and I'm on AT&T (Cingular) I can send text messages to my mom in SA, and she gets them, however, she can't send any text messages to me :(

I have the same problem and I'm on AT&T (Cingular) I can send text messages to my mom in SA, and she gets them, however, she can't send any text messages to me :(

:cry:

Guest SAAussieChick
:cry:

thats wierd because I am with At&t (cingular) and I have had messages texted to me from SA

My wife is on AT&T and she sends and receives fine, sometimes they are a bit delayed.

I use my work's Verizon phone and I can also send and receive from SA but there are sometimes that I don't receive or get it the following day