Sign in to follow this  
Jvander

SOUTH AFRICAN RESTAURANT OPENING - NOW HIRING

New South African Cuisine Restaurant opening on December 1st 2008 in Sugar Land. Beautiful location with 2200 sq ft patio on a lake. We have a bar inside and The Zebra bar on the patio.

Out of Africa is the only South African restaurant in Texas. We will be serving traditional South African food with a wide selection of fine wines from the Cape region. All the dishes will be totally authentic.

We intend on serving breakfast, lunch and dinner every day with a big jazz brunch buffet on Sundays. There will be live entertainment on the week-ends with events such as "Party on the Patio", "Tour the Cape", wine tasting events, etc.

Out of Africa will also have a catering menu for all the businesses in the area as well as offer catering for private parties.

Come out and see us!

THE PARK [at] SUGAR CREEK CENTER

14019 Southwest Freeway

Suite 204

Sugar Land, TX 77478

On the corner of Sugar Creek Blvd and Hwy 59 behind the Chevron Station

If you need directions call

832-527-3158

Out of Africa is now taking applications for

.Cooks

.Bar Tenders

.Bar Back

.Servers

.Bussers

.Hostesses

.Dishwasher

Please e-mail jobs[at]outofafricadining.com.

Great I will certainly make the effort to support you guys, although some distant to drive from Spring to Sugarland.

There is another restaurant opening in Spring TX with a strong SA flair 'Peli Peli' at Vintage Park Peli Peli

Great to see Saffer's taking over Houston...... :ilikeit:

With these restaurants, Leibmans Fine Wines and Food, Kwagga's Rugby club and the Texas Potjiekos Competition ever Labor Day we have our own SA within Texas.

Yes, houston has definitely grown in the number of south africans within the last 10 years. Hey, it's always nice to have someone on the northside too, considering I'm in Katy, and either drive N or S is equally as far. I see my post was moved. I wasn't technically trying to advertise in the general section. Just due to the fact that houston, and its outskirts have a relatively large south african population, who might just happen to read the general thread on a regular basis. In retrospect, it might draw more attention(business for us), because over here very few people will even see it.

Any news on how the opening of the restaurant went on 12/01/08 and the Save the Springbok?

Web-site needs to be up and running with daily/weekly updates.

Will you be televising any of the rugby games?

Edited by Durbs

An indepth review :) March 03, 2009

http://www.houstonpress.com/2009-03-05/res...-out-of-africa/

menu looks enticing :)

http://www.outofafricadining.com/menu.html

Review on the burger :thumbdown:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2009/...t_out_of_af.php

A colourful interesting review :ilikeit:

http://whereisgoodservice.blogspot.com/200...sugar-land.html

:unsure:

Houston SAUSA members and SAFFERS why not arrange a Sunday Brunch get together and take some photos for us all to get a first hand reveiw of this eatery :unsure:

Maybe Jvander will encourage a meeting place date etc

Edited by Korky

Korky,

I've eaten at the Out of Africa restaurant and spent New Years Eve there, it was the worst New Years Eve I have ever had. The food was ok, nothing to get wildly excited about. Another SAUSA member had a similar experience on Valentines evening and a friend of mine took clients there for lunch and stated that was the second time he was disappointed. Hence any get togethers at the restaurant will not get my support unless someone can convince me that it has changed.

I have noticed that they are advertising on the radio, I wish them the best but I will not be surprised if they close in the near future. I did send an email to the restaurant mentioning the above but have not heard from them.

We went there on Valentine's Day and as Durbs says, the worst and most disappointing dining experience I've had ever! Was very excited to take my American hubs there for some SA cuisine. Everything - everything - from the service, the food, the ambience was extremely poor and hideous. I would never - not in a million years - recommend this restaurant. I e-mailed the owner and told him about our experience. His response? A $25 gift voucher after we spent $120 at his restaurant!

We went there on Valentine's Day and as Durbs says, the worst and most disappointing dining experience I've had ever! Was very excited to take my American hubs there for some SA cuisine. Everything - everything - from the service, the food, the ambience was extremely poor and hideous. I would never - not in a million years - recommend this restaurant. I e-mailed the owner and told him about our experience. His response? A $25 gift voucher after we spent $120 at his restaurant!

What's everyone complaining about? That sounds just like South Africa! You couldn't ask for a more authentic experiance! :whome:

What's everyone complaining about? That sounds just like South Africa! You couldn't ask for a more authentic experiance! :whome:

LOL Utah! Amen to that. Sounds like you guys got a real "taste" of home. :thumbdown:

OOPS :thumbdown:

It seems overwhelming sad

i was hoping to find a place of common interest to shoot the breeze en lekker jol

Edited by Korky

OOPS :thumbdown:

It seems overwhelming sad

i was hoping to find a place of common interest to shoot the breeze en lekker jol

Korky you still have that opportunity, attend the Texas Potjie festival over Labor Day weekend you will not be sorry.

More sad is the fact is that nobody has a good thing to say about this eatery and they represent SA food to the USA

Sadly pepople who eat there critics and all tell others

but even the the SAFFERS who have eaten there are not sold on the taste of the food and the owners are not responding at all <_<

Something is wrong here -- how long can it last <_< and then they will blame everybody else for their failure (no support from local SAFFERS or locals)

Edited by Korky

I walked past a German deli in Salt Lake City this week and I thought about this. This deli is hugely popular with the locals despite the fact that it ius very expensive. But theyt serve really good food and their service is outstanding. I am sure that these little places all start off with support from the other immigrants looking for a taste of home. I am all for supporting fellow South Africans even if their product or service is a little more expensive, but I still demand good service.

Hi there everyone :D

I have seen and heard a lot of negative reviews about Out of Africa :thumbdown: but the good news is that Pelipeli has just opened their doors so you might want to give it a try! We know one of the owners personally and he shared with me that it is something like a Mikes Kitchen that was in SA, that concept. He also shared with me that he and another friend in SA actually were the owners and started Mikes Kitchen in SA about 30 years ago. So check it all out and maybe it will be more satisfactory than the other restaurant.