Sign in to follow this  
sherryl

UK Visa

The above is not correct.

What it is is that if you are a Green card holder than you do not need a visa for Switzerland, which has its own visa & is not part of the Schengan visa program. Without the Greencard you would need to apply for a visa to Switzerland, as well as a Schengen and as well as a UK visa.

Have decided to give the Europe trip a skip, will just stay with my sis 3 weeks in London & DH will take Eurotrain etc. In 2 years I will have a US passport and will then take another look but this time at the Mediterranean region ~ much more pleasant & exciting than chilly northern Europe anyway....

<_<

The above is not correct.

What it is is that if you are a Green card holder than you do not need a visa for Switzerland, which has its own visa & is not part of the Schengan visa program. Without the Greencard you would need to apply for a visa to Switzerland, as well as a Schengen and as well as a UK visa.

<_<

Hi Tauswas, this info too is now out of date regarding Switzerland. Swtizerland joined the Schengen agreement late last year, and you do now need a Schengen visa to visit Switzerland. (effective 12 December 2008). Prior to this, Switzerland did not require South African passport holders to have a visa at all.

You need a Schengen visa for any of the Schengen States if you are travelling on a SA passport, regardless of holding a Green Card or not. You can transit in most cases without a Schengen visa 'though.

The only country in Europe that still allows South African passport holders to travel in visa free is the Republic of Ireland.

Thanks Malamute. We did not get very friendly replies from the embassies we emailed - France even told us to go back to their website and look it up ourselves. It has been somewhat confusing trying to get an accurate grip on the details. So, stuff it. I really was mostly looking forward to our UK stop-over anyway plus an old roomate of mine from New Zealand is in the UK again so I will have a good time catching up with her and my sister. I don't think DH fully appreciates how much kuk he gets to sidestep because of his blue book. Must be nice hey? :P

Has anyone (not the OP) obtained a Schengen before and how was the process for you? Sherryl, has your matter been resolved?

WOW, I have so much news regarding this nonsense UK Visa, what a scam, I am so mad, well let me begin by telling you we are leaving sunday 26April-12 June on quite a long European trip, so as I am not yet a US citizen , I still need Visas, we started by getting the schengen first for Germany which I got in Miami for the exact amount of days, in Half an hour, they were very good, as they also knew I had to send away for this Uk Visa to Chicago .

Firstly we had to pay Worldbridge just to speak to them about the Visa application process , then we had to fill out the most ridiculous application visa form I have ever had to do, you can quite clearly see this is something very new to them, at everyone's expense, at the very beginning you have 3 questions to answer defining whether or not you require a UK Visa., and guess what it pops up in bold red , YES YOU DO REQUIRE A VISA, so we filled in the application and was told it only takes a few days, but please just remember there in Nowhere you can contact anyone or even speak to a person, only a fax, so off we send the package with my sons and my passport, and do the waiting game, so Monday i start getting paranoid that I have heard nothing, so begin the search, as we are leaving Sunday , so I search and search and start finding more and more info about their scam and lies that I have sworn to bring to all South afrias attention, because you will never be told , you will just pay and they will never tell you the truth that ALL SOUTH AFRICANS WITH A GREEN CARD DONOT NEED A UK VISA, , please read below to see the different dates as to when this is all meant to be in affect from:

1 April 2009: New visa rules for passport holders from Lesotho, South Africa and Swaziland. From 1 July 2009 passport holders from these countries will need a visa to enter the UK. For more information please visit the UK Border Agency Visa Services website.

IMPORTANT CHANGES FOR SOUTH AFRICAN VISITORS TO THE UK

The British government has announced changes to the visa requirements for South African nationals who wish to visit or transit the United Kingdom.

From 3 March 2009, South African nationals will require a visa to enter or transit the UK no matter what the purpose or length of your stay. Any South African passport holder who already has a valid visa or permission to reside in the UK will not be affected.

To qualify for a temporary exemption you must have traveled to the UK and have evidence of your visit in your current passport (i.e. a UK entry stamp). Evidence of a UK entry stamp in your current passport means you will not need a visa if you want to:-

* transit

* visit for less than six months

* do not want to work in the UK

The visa you choose depends on your reason for visiting the UK and how long you plan to stay. Use the links on the left to find out more information on how to apply for a UK visa.

Please also see the guide to new visa regulations for South African Nationals. All of the Visa Applications Forms (VAFs) and General Guidance on visas can be found on the UK Border Agency Visa Services website.

these are the 3 questions we are asked:

YES

You will normally need a visa to pass through the United Kingdom in transit.

You told us:

You are

A national of South Africa

Purpose of your visit

Transit

Your status

Normally and legally living in United States

Next steps:

Please read

Our Transit (INF 20) guidance offers more information including advice on what you need to do to transit to the Republic of Ireland

How to apply

Most visa applications can be made online but staff at the visa application centre will guide you through the application process available in your country.

You may find it useful to

If you are in the United States you must apply online.

Biometric fingerscans are collected at one of 129 Application Support Centres throughout the United States. You will be able to book an appointment to have your fingerscan once you have completed your online application.

The temporary visa exemption for South African visitors with a previous travel history to the United Kingdom which began on 3 March will cease at midnight on 30 June 2009. From Wednesday 1 July 2009 all South African visitors will require a visa, as will visitors from Lesotho and Swaziland.

Just another date................................so far 3 different ones

Am I exempt from the DATV requirement?

You will be exempt from the DATV requirement and may be able to transit without visa if you hold one of the following.

* A valid visa for entry to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America and a valid airline ticket for travel through the UK as part of a journey from another country or territory to the country for which you have the entry visa.

* A valid visa for entry to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America and a valid airline ticket for travel through the UK as part of a journey from the country for which you have the visa to another country or territory.

* A valid airline ticket for travel through the UK as part of a journey from Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America to another country or territory, as long as you do not transit (pass through) the UK on a date more than six months after the date on which you last entered Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America with a valid visa for that country.

* A valid USA I-551 permanent resident card issued on or after 21 April 1998.

* A valid Canadian permanent resident card issued on or after 28 June 2002.

* A valid common format category D visa for entry to an EEA state – see our 'EEA and Swiss nationals' leaflet for a list of EEA states.

* A valid common format residence permit issued by an EEA state under Council Regulation (EC) number 1030/2002.

* A diplomatic or service passport issued by the People’s Republic of China.

* A diplomatic or official passport issued by India.

* A diplomatic or official passport issued by Vietnam.

Sorry this is so much , but I just did not want anyone else to go through this nonsense of theirs, and eventually I received an e-mail yesterday saying they apologize for the delay , due to an error in their Biometrics enrolment at their UK office, and since we have demanded them return our passports as we would reroute our trip through they will refund our fees, they aslo added that in fact we donot require Visas as SA passport holders as we hold US green cards, and that we can demonstrate previous UK travels and are therefore permitted to travel in the UK, and the new immigration rule regarding SA passport holders referenced by our partners worldbridge will only come into effect after July 2, 2009.

Yet they were prepared to rip us off if we didnt find these hidden passages.

So look through this carefully, as this is from the BRITISH CONSULATE GENERAL VISA OFFICE IN CHICAGO

GOOD LUCK

Sherryl, can you provide more details on how you obtained the Schengan? I was going to apply for mine through the Belgium consulate, but they were just short of asking for my first born child.