Sign in to follow this  
Baobab

Sat Exams In Sa Vs Usa

We are relocating to Charlotte NC in December 2009, almost just after our daughter finished her matric exam. Would it be necessary for her to rather do her SAT exam required in SA, for whatever post-matric studies she might be doing... or is it just as well to do that in the States once arrived?

We are relocating to Charlotte NC in December 2009, almost just after our daughter finished her matric exam. Would it be necessary for her to rather do her SAT exam required in SA, for whatever post-matric studies she might be doing... or is it just as well to do that in the States once arrived?

Interesting question. I will certainly defer to others on the forum that are more knowledgable on this subject than me, but I would suggest that finishing a matric is importnat and worthwhile. The matric is to the best of my knowledge equivalent to a high school diploma. With that she can apply to college etc. Perhaps its better to have already completed a matric when she arrives than have to still try and get a high school diploma here?

Guest Boer08

I never did any SAT exams, they only required my high school diploma, not sure if my age has anything to do with it? But I will email or call the college she wants to attend just to make 100% sure, cause what applies in one state does not always apply in the next state...

I never did any SAT exams, they only required my high school diploma, not sure if my age has anything to do with it? But I will email or call the college she wants to attend just to make 100% sure, cause what applies in one state does not always apply in the next state...

Boer is right it definitely depends on the College, some require your school to send your transcript others are less strict and you can get away with a fairly simple english/math placement test. I got in to college with the latter and I never even had to suppl my highschool diploma. Bigger, more prestigious schools might require SAT's

We left SA the day my eldest son finished writing his last matric examination and had the results sent to us by mail. Here in Missouri it was not enough for him to enter into college, the credit hours per subject is what counted and he needed to do one more semester of maths and American History and American Govt in order to be accepted into college here. He went back to school, 12 grade, from February 04 to May 04 and passed his exams and walked in his cap and gown to collect his high school diploma. Well worth it I must say. I don't know if all states are like that but Missouri most definitely is.