Sign in to follow this  
mnctxusa

For Those From Durban

So many familiar places! :)

Thanks for sharing!

For the memories, great song to go with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OqdYZjLl74

Thanks for sharing. I love the song also. In 9 weeks I will be in Durban. :) It's been 11 years, and I am looking foward to it. All those familiar places, I cannot wait.

Great pictures.

I just received an e-mail from my niece with pics of Durban, now and in the 80's - made me feel so nostalgic.

My nephew was telling me that they only go to Anstey's beach on the Bluff since they have community funded security there and it now caters to families. Brighton Beach has been taken over by colored gangs from Wentworth and a lot of fights break out and it is no longer the great beach it used to be - so sad

Great pictures.

I just received an e-mail from my niece with pics of Durban, now and in the 80's - made me feel so nostalgic.

My nephew was telling me that they only go to Anstey's beach on the Bluff since they have community funded security there and it now caters to families. Brighton Beach has been taken over by colored gangs from Wentworth and a lot of fights break out and it is no longer the great beach it used to be - so sad

I already decided I will stick to the North Coast. (Ballito) As a teenager while living in SA we usually spend our vacations on the South Coast (Amanzimtoti), not sure what it is like now. My parents loved the North Coast and we moved to Ballito in the mid 70's. I attended a business college in Durban and took a train from Ballito to Durban everyday. Unbelievable. I have fond memories of the place, but I know it is much different today. Is the Indian Market still there? Recommended? Anyway, I am looking forward to our visit.

The Indian Market is still there and is very popular with the tourists.

I would not feel safe going there though.

I went to Toti beach 2 years ago and it was still a great place.

I think that Umhlanga has the best beaches these days though.

I haven't been to the Bluff in about 17 years. We used to go to Brighton beach so often as kids.

I lived near North Beach from age 12 onwards. I go back every 2 years to see what has changed and I get a huge shock every time.

We used to go to the ice rink so often. Now I think it has deteriorated too badly. It may have even closed down already.

I haven't been to the Bluff in about 17 years. We used to go to Brighton beach so often as kids.

I lived near North Beach from age 12 onwards. I go back every 2 years to see what has changed and I get a huge shock every time.

We used to go to the ice rink so often. Now I think it has deteriorated too badly. It may have even closed down already.

Jane - do you remember the tidal pool at Brighton Beach? I don't believe I have seen anything like that anywhere else....

I had a wonderful vacation in Ballito...won't believe it, but we did not even go to Durban...not even the Indian Market. :( I spend my days at the beach in Ballito, and the tidal pools..so nice. The new airport at La Mercy will open soon...that is going to be real good.

Jane - do you remember the tidal pool at Brighton Beach? I don't believe I have seen anything like that anywhere else....

I grew up on the Bluff and spent may a days at Anstay's and Brigton Beach, surfed Anstay's and also launched a ski-boat at Anstay's until the water police stopped us. Crayfished Brighton for years, mostly arround the tidal pool area and further south near the braai/picnic area. As a kid we loved high tide and used to hang onto the chains on the sea side of the tidal pool when the waves crashed over.

I grew up on the Bluff and spent may a days at Anstay's and Brigton Beach, surfed Anstay's and also launched a ski-boat at Anstay's until the water police stopped us. Crayfished Brighton for years, mostly arround the tidal pool area and further south near the braai/picnic area. As a kid we loved high tide and used to hang onto the chains on the sea side of the tidal pool when the waves crashed over.

I used to do the same thing (hang onto the chains) - if it wasn't for the age difference we might have known each other - oh those crayfish, I am drooling just remembering.

It was so nice to read someone else here is from the bluff. My only claim to fame with my husband. Rough and tough etc. I'm not sure your age but I went to Bushlands then Fynnlands then Grosvenor girls. It's amazing to hear from others in USA from Durban.