Sign in to follow this  
Edwina

Computer Science

Maybe some know the answer to this. My 10th grader has his mind set on IT for the future and his High School does not offer computer science for 11th or 12th grade. (small international school) His math and science teacher told me it is not so important to take computer science and as long as he takes high level math he should be fine. I am not so certain about his. I know all High Schools in the US offers computer science (well the couple I looked up) and now I am not so certain what to do. I feel we made a mistake to take him away from his school in the US.

You can't compare computer science to maths. That's insane.

I did advanced maths AND computer science in high school. Totally different.

They can take you in 2 completely different directions when you leave school.

If you really want him to study computers then he can take an extra course out of school or change schools.

I dont think she was comparing math with science. I understood her to say that while her son has both high level math and science, his school doesnt offer computer science.

I dont think she was comparing math with science. I understood her to say that while her son has both high level math and science, his school doesnt offer computer science.

Yes Tokolosi. They are only 8, 10th graders this year, and my son is the only one interested to take computer science next year. They cannot hire a teacher for one student.

I am currently looking into a foreign exchange student program, (host family) maybe an option will be for him to finish high school in the States..and he will be very happy about that anyway. I feel so disappointed, this school costs a fortune, (like all international schools).We cannot pack up and go back now, after being here for only 16 months, that is impossible right now.

Being in the IT business, I would advise your son to find a different career, anything else that cannot be outsourced and require a living breathing person.

I was referring to what the teacher said:

His math and science teacher told me it is not so important to take computer science and as long as he takes high level math he should be fine

Being in the IT business, I would advise your son to find a different career, anything else that cannot be outsourced and require a living breathing person.

Ag kom nou! Issie so erg nie! Die rekenaarbedryf sal weer optel, belowe! ;) Ek dink dis maar die hele ekonomie wat nou nog is die gemors is. En van outsourcing gepraat, baie maatskappye kom nou agter die gras is nie regtig so groen in Indië nie!

Ag kom nou! Issie so erg nie! Die rekenaarbedryf sal weer optel, belowe! ;) Ek dink dis maar die hele ekonomie wat nou nog is die gemors is. En van outsourcing gepraat, baie maatskappye kom nou agter die gras is nie regtig so groen in Indië nie!

Maybe. I cannot tell what the future holds. Wish for a recovery...soon. :)