Sign in to follow this  
C185

Side Effects From Milk In The Usa?

Have anyone experienced any side effects drinking milk in the USA? My wife gets really bloated when she uses any dairy products in the USA and only here. The Dr. told here that she is lactose intolerant but when we went to SA on holiday she could drink as much milk as she wanted, eat as much yoghurt as she wanted etc. We have tried organic and any possible brand or type available. The only thing that all the milk has in common in the USA is the Vitamin D they had and the milk in SA does not have that added. So we would love to know were we can find milk that does not have vitamin d added and why do they add it? Any advise out there? Thanks!

Have you tried fresh/raw (not organic) milk?

Some dairies would have a section where they sell fresh milk. Try some dairies in your area.

This website also list some dairies selling fresh milk - check your state: Check for fresh/raw milk dairies

Dankie, ek sal bietjie daar gaan loer. :)

Have anyone experienced any side effects drinking milk in the USA? My wife gets really bloated when she uses any dairy products in the USA and only here. The Dr. told here that she is lactose intolerant but when we went to SA on holiday she could drink as much milk as she wanted, eat as much yoghurt as she wanted etc. We have tried organic and any possible brand or type available. The only thing that all the milk has in common in the USA is the Vitamin D they had and the milk in SA does not have that added. So we would love to know were we can find milk that does not have vitamin d added and why do they add it? Any advise out there? Thanks!

I have the same problem. I am unable to drink milk or eat cheese without suffering from terrible heartburn.

I am not much of a milk fan so that didn't bother me too much, but cheese is a real problem because it means that I also cannot eat pizza!(All bread also gives me heartburn.)

I could also eat whatever I wanted, when we were back in SA in July, without any side effects.

As a baby, my daughter was put onto soya milk at a week old due to lactose intolerance. (It still upsets her stomach if she has more than a cup of milk a day.)

She quite likes the SILK soya milk, but it is vanilla flavoured and not that great for tea.

We have found that she can manage LACTAID milk. The lactose has been removed from the milk and it doesn't bother her as much.

It is available in the speciality milk section of the supermarket.

Lactaid and Silk are not very much more expensive than normal milk.

I believe that there are a lot of hormones in milk products - to make the cows produce more milk and grow faster and bigger for beef production.

Maybe they over do it a bit in the USA and our SA tums can't handle it. :rolleyes:

Edited by treverly

Have you tried fresh/raw (not organic) milk?

Some dairies would have a section where they sell fresh milk. Try some dairies in your area.

This website also list some dairies selling fresh milk - check your state: Check for fresh/raw milk dairies

Baie dankie vir jou hulp Spokie, dit het baie gehelp. Hier is 'n paar plekke wat "raw milk" verkoop en ons kan dit selfs by Whole Foods ook kry, ongelukkig is Whole Foods net in die verkeerde kan van die stad. :)

My only complaint is the extra toe that grew .....

My only complaint is the extra toe that grew .....

No, that is the bread that does that!! :)

Ja, I'd second that thing about 'looking for organic' stuff - read labels carefully. If it doesnt say '100% organic' - then it isnt. They're allowed to get away with murder here in terms of false advertising. For heartburn - a quick natural remedy that I used to use back in SA. Cut a couple of inches of a cucumber, cut the skin off, and eat the bare cucumber itself (the flesh, not the skin :P ). That should kick most heartburn within a minute or two. Again - the 'malox' and other stuff they have here is full of rubbish and basically like a sweet, even though it does work. There's a LOT of chemicals and high fructose corn syrup in almost everything in the US food supply. Not good for you at all - despite the adverts saying it is. If you're curious to see just how dangerous the 'high fructose corn syrup' the US puts in everything, here's a link to a lecture by a Prof of Pediatrics at University of California. Its an eye opener: 'Sugar - the Bitter Truth'

'Sugar - the Bitter Truth'

A long article to wade through, but just what a South African paedatrician told my friend years ago.

Her son had severe ADHD (and every other initial you can think of!) which took years of testing food, washing powder, animal and numerous other allergy, tests.

She removed all forms of sugar from his diet and he is so much better for it.

Bev

You will need something to relief the Gas from the cucumber next.....I am wondering why the added Vit. D in the Milk, maybe ask that Prof in California, that's where all the rules get made... :0.

here's when it got added in Milk in US....always good to fix one problem with another.... http://ibdcrohns.about.com/od/relatedconditions/a/fdavitd.htm