Sign in to follow this  
Janneman

Rice... Again

Many South Africans have a problem cooking the humble product of waterlogged paddies - rice. And I was one of them. If it wasn't Tastic it was a gooey disaster. I've posted about this topic before and the consensus was that a rice cooker is the answer. So I bought one, albeit a cheap one, and it works. Sort of. Well, at least it opens up some space on the stove top, but the rice still tends to stick to the bottom of the cookers "pot", making cleaning a bit difficult. It splatters and splutters liquid all over the kitchen during its cooking frenzy and the end product is still not "fluffy" enough. But, like I said, it works reasonably well.

One of the tricks to rice cooking, whether it's parboiled (another trick) or not, is to wash the raw rice kernels thoroughly with lukewarm water, even if it is going to be cooked in a cooker. Keep on washing until the water doesn't turn "milky" anymore and then you cook it.

Also, to bring two gallons of water to the boil, adding two cups of rice, boiling it for 20 minutes and then draining it, is wrong. All the nutritional value is chucked down the drain - not good.

But now I've found the perfect method. The microwave, as explained here.

Take a cup of long grained rice and combine it with 1 and three-quarter cups of water (or vegetable/beef/chicken stock) in a microwave-safe dish. I found a transparent one to work best. Add 1 tsp. of salt and 1 tbsp of butter as well, but this is optional. I add a few drops of olive oil.

Cook in the microwave for 5 minutes on High, bringing the liquid to a boil. Cooking times may vary, depending on the machine's capability. Cook for a further 15 - 17 minutes on 50% power. Fluff the steaming rice with a fork, cover and allow to rest for another 5 - 8 minutes.

Two cups of rice will take longer to cook. If it takes three minutes longer to bring the liquids to a boil at the start, increase the final cooking time by app. 50% - 22 minutes as opposed to 15 minutes. And also, if you think the rice is not soft enough, add a bit of extra water to the initial mix.

It works for me.

The boil-in-the-bag rice works great (on the stove)and those boxed flavored rice are yummie and also nice and fluffy (especially when made in the microwave.

I have resorted to "Uncle Ben's" 5 minute rice. It is the only way I can cook (or not) a decent pot of rice. Will give your method a try Janneman. Thanks.

If it wasn't Tastic it was a gooey disaster. I've posted about this topic before and the consensus was that a rice cooker is the answer. So I bought one, albeit a cheap one, and it works. Sort of. Well, at least it opens up some space on the stove top, but the rice still tends to stick to the bottom of the cookers "pot", making cleaning a bit difficult. It splatters and splutters liquid all over the kitchen during its cooking frenzy and the end product is still not "fluffy" enough.

Janneman,

Here's my take on cooking rice, married to an Asian lady and having two rice cookers this is what I have experienced. By the way I still cook rice on the stove top. Rice is not boiled in a bag for me nor is Uncle Ben's rice to my liking.

Asian's love Jasmine rice as it has a stickiness to it and its taste, me I love Basmati rice, it's fluffy and is the closet thing to Tastic. I have no idea why your rice cooker splatters and splutters liquid all over the place as ours have lids to them with a small vent, there is zero mess. Now the rice does tend to stick to the bottom of the bowl in the rice cooker and that's because I have cleaned the teflon flim off of the bottom when clean it, much to my wife disgust.

Basmati rice;

1 cup of Basmati rice to 1 3/4 cups of water serves 4 people.

2 cups of Basmati rice to 3 1/2 cups of water serves 8 people.

3 cups of Basmati rice to 5 1/4 cups of water serves 12 people.

Instructions;

1. In a saucepan bring water to a boil.

2. Stir in the rice.

3. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed, do not stir during this stage.

4. Remove from stove top, fluff and serve.

Tips;

a. Adding lemon peel shortly before the rice has finished cooking gives it a light, bright flavor.

b. Allow grains to soak in water for 20 minutes prior to cooking to maximize grain elongation.

I use my Old Faithful - a rice cooker bought at Wallies a few years ago. For some reason I just can't make my rice as fluffy as I could in SA. Rice cooker does it perfectly for me. Only thing I dislike is the spluttering mess you mention Janneman... sticky and yucky.

Only thing I dislike is the spluttering mess you mention Janneman... sticky and yucky.

How do I explain this to my wife, is there no lid to your rice cooker?

Yes there is, but there are slats in the lid to vent steam. Becomes pretty messy.

I wonder if you are using to much water? My wife uses the finger method for her quantity of water, she places the rice in the cooker first then adds water. She measures the water by place the index finger into the water and measures from the top of the rice to the 1st line or crease above her nail.

I wonder if you are using to much water? My wife uses the finger method for her quantity of water, she places the rice in the cooker first then adds water. She measures the water by place the index finger into the water and measures from the top of the rice to the 1st line or crease above her nail.

It's usually 2:1. (2 Cups of water to 1 cup of rice.)Brown rice needs a bit more water.

The spluttering mess might be because you are boiling it too fast.