Sign in to follow this  
Flygal

Final Interview

Hi all

I have finally got all my documentation in order & our interview is on Monday, 1 Feb!! Managed to get myself into a complete panic about the order in which I need to submit all my forms. Can anyone whose just gone through this give me some piece of mind? Do I put the entire family (myself, husband & 2 boys)in one pile with copies in another, or should we each have our own pile with copies behind originals? Seems so absurd to be so panicky but the closer we get the more stressed I become.

Tx

Flygal

Hi all

I have finally got all my documentation in order & our interview is on Monday, 1 Feb!! Managed to get myself into a complete panic about the order in which I need to submit all my forms. Can anyone whose just gone through this give me some piece of mind? Do I put the entire family (myself, husband & 2 boys)in one pile with copies in another, or should we each have our own pile with copies behind originals? Seems so absurd to be so panicky but the closer we get the more stressed I become.

Tx

Flygal

I would just keep the copies in a seperate pile from the originals. When I had my interview in Johannesburg 2 years ago, I went to a lot of trouble to make copies and have it notorized. However the guy behind the counter just handed the copies back to me and said they don't need them. He did take the originals - just paging through to make sure that everything was there. Later they gave all the originals back again. I don't think they worry about the order in which the forms are, as long as it is all there. Good luck! If all your documents are in order, it really is just a matter of formality, so don't stress out too much.

Although I had the interviewer from hell, the actual process is really nothing to stress out about.

When you get there, just don't be a smart ass i.e. only answer the question you're asked concisely and to the point whilst being friendly. Don't overdo it and don't stand there and waffle away for 10 mins. Just answer the question (some people just don't get this).

Even if your interviewer gets nasty, don't get worked up or upset.

The lady who interviewed me was a sour old Irish cow who told me my Bachelor and Masters degree certificates looked fake and that my bank statements looked odd because the text was too small to read... so yeah, I know a bit about keeping calm during the interview ;)

Overall it's the same drill as going through passport control and customs at a foreign airport - be polite, be straight-forward, be relaxed and take it easy.

For me getting into the embassy was more of a nightmare due to the long wait outside in the freezing cold and the security guards guys were really unfriendly to the point of being rude.

Leave your mobile phone / ipod / memory stick at home. The security guard dropped a guy in front of us' phone and just shrugged it off.

Other than that, enjoy the experience :D

PS: Get there early enough and make sure you have plenty of time allocated, you might be there all day so don't schedule anything else for that day...just in case.

Edited by Fiela

Thanks for the advice, feeling better already. I've got all my doc's with certified copies plus an extra set! So I should have it covered. Just hold thumbs :D

Thanks for the advice, feeling better already. I've got all my doc's with certified copies plus an extra set! So I should have it covered. Just hold thumbs :D

I can assure you - you will have a very pleasant interview experience at theUS embassy in Johannesburg . If you have all your paper work in order it will be a breeze. The lady that interviewed us was really very nice. My interview was about a month ago and it was one of the best visa interviews I've had.

Relax, relax, relax.

I was also all stressed up, we were a family of three and I had everyone's paperwork in seperate folders. First all the originals followed by the copies in the same order as the originals. At the interview, the indian gentleman took all the folders, kept what he wanted and returned about two thirds of the paperwork back to me.

Only give yes and no answers, like the previous posts state.

The embassy staff have a job to do and they stick to the rules and procedures, there are no grey areas with them, no bending the rules.

Good Luck and let us have the good news and your experience as soon as you can post again.

I hope our interview goes as well as all yours have,I'm feeling a lot less stressed knowing how many on the forum have been through this & survived! I've threatened my teenagers with grounding for life if they are not on their best behaviour! I have arranged & rearranged and then resorted my paperwork once again....and I have everything they asked for and more.

I'll let you know how it goes and hopefully we'll be heading over to the USA soon :D

I hope our interview goes as well as all yours have,I'm feeling a lot less stressed knowing how many on the forum have been through this & survived! I've threatened my teenagers with grounding for life if they are not on their best behaviour! I have arranged & rearranged and then resorted my paperwork once again....and I have everything they asked for and more.

I'll let you know how it goes and hopefully we'll be heading over to the USA soon :D

Relax, It's not hectic at all.

Good luck!

Sooooooooooooooo the 1st of Feb is over, how did you get on at the Embassy?

YeeeHa!!!! All went amazingly well, only asked me where we were wanted to go to in the US (Charlotte NC) and where we lived at the moment.Collecting our passports on Thursday, and barring any medical catastrophe our visas will be issued. Thanks to all of you for all your help and calming advice. my boy's wanted to know what time on Thursday we'd be boarding for the US :D but now the really hard work starts, selling up all our property etc. :P

YeeeHa!!!! All went amazingly well, only asked me where we were wanted to go to in the US (Charlotte NC) and where we lived at the moment.Collecting our passports on Thursday, and barring any medical catastrophe our visas will be issued. Thanks to all of you for all your help and calming advice. my boy's wanted to know what time on Thursday we'd be boarding for the US :D but now the really hard work starts, selling up all our property etc. :P

Congrats!

Good luck with all your plans for the big move!

Keep us posted!

Congratulations!! We are also in Charlotte, NC. Landed last year, 2 August 09 after a VERY EVENTFUL flight with a stop in Egypt - never again will I fly thru Egypt. We are still battling to find decent employment but have not given up.

Now the stress starts!! The next step is actually thee biggie. Dumping, selling, donating and deciding what comes and what doesn't. We brought a container over and I must admit there are a few things that we perhaps should have left behind, not that we would have gotten anything for it!! We sold a lot and that for 50% and less below what they were actually worth.

I sent out an email and took photos of everything that was for sale and attached them to the email. The email was sent all over Uth & PE and we soon had people knocking the door down.

Will be thinking of you!!

YeeeHa!!!!

Woooot!

High five! :D

Good luck with the rest of the arrangments, planning etc.

Keep us posted on your progress B)