Sign in to follow this  
proudly SA

San Diego

Hello

Can anyone pls tell me about San Diego. What kind of place is it? Which is a good parts and parts to stay away from? I currently live in the Bay area. I am a cna. Is it difficult to get a job? How abt the cost of living? Pls give me some info that can help me make up my mind if I am doing the right thing. Appreciate it.

Thank u

Go into www.braai-connection.org. Email Derek, he lives there. Very helpful fellow.

Hi Proudly,

I have been in San Diego for 12 years now. We love it.

Describing a city is a hard thing. I have always thought of San Diego as a small town with big city amenities. It doesnt have a typical big metropolitan city feel to it. It's spread out, suburban/country-ish with a beach. But you get all the big city plusses like an international airport, big business etc. As far as weather goes we hardly have any. Along the coast it is always 68 and sunny and inland it is always 78 and sunny. For the most part. This year we have had tons of rain. There was the weekend before last and yesterday. No kidding, if we get weather of any sort it makes the news two nights running. We are however, prone to wildfires and the occassional mudslide. But thats what you get from living on a cliff in a desert next to the ocean. And I guess being from the Bay Area you already know about the earthquakes. We have a VERY active and outdoorsy family; I surf, my DW cycles and my kids play soccer. Every day is a good day to be outside in San Diego. The city takes good care of the parks and other public areas and they are well used.

The bad thing about that is that sunlight is not free. Contrary to popular belief it is actually frigging expensive. It appears that you already have an idea that the cost of living here is fairly high. But again, if you are from the bay area that should not be a surprise. We actually are fairly comparible. You have your high cost areas which pretty much is anything west of the I-5 (beachfront) then there is the upper middle class who live in north county and San Diego around Mission Bay, The middle middle class you will find in the central and east county while there are the lower middle class in the east bay and interspaced into and throughout the other areas like any other city in the USA. Heck I have been in homes in Oakland that are phenomenal but then, a few miles in any direction people live in what I consider to be 'wanting' conditions. I do think there is a lot of leeway in San Diego for anyone. As long as you make peace with the fact that a 2 bedroom 1 bath house on a tiny lot with a single car garage in a midlleclass neighborhood here may cost you as much as a 5 bedr, 4 bath estate on a 5 acre plot in Middle America (without the snow but plus the beach!).

What does it mean if you say you are a 'cna'?

And why are you contemplating a move? Jobs here are as tough to get as anywhere in the US due to the economy. Its hard. I know a few friends who have lost jobs recently and they are looking.

When are you looking at coming out here?

Good luck.

What does it mean if you say you are a 'cna'?

A CNA is short for Certified Nursing Assistant, and they basically work in hospitals, nursing homes, etc. They are not nurses, but help the nurses. They take vitals, change bed linens, often help with baths/showers/toileting, etc. etc. To my knowledge they don't make a huge salary and they often work long hours.

In my area, they also work long shifts and make just above minimum wage. I've always wondered how anyone earning minimum wage can survive (paying rent, cars, utilities, etc.) on that salary...especially if they are not married and have kids.