Sign in to follow this  
Slaptjips

Illegal Immigration

Hulle dagvaar dan die staat van Florida om hulle te verbied om Lam/siek/dooies/onwettiges van die kiesers lyste af te haal.....tipies Suid Afrikaans....bring in die Zimmies dat ons die res kan wegjaag.....toe nie....ons praat weer in November.

Obama publicly made a statement yesterday to this effect. I saw this on CNN. Note this is not a word for word quote.

"Any qualified illigal immigrants will have their deportation deffered for 2 years. To qualify you must have arrived in the USA before the age of 16 but still be under the age of 30." Seems to me like the start of the gates being opened.

Obama also qualified that in order to qualify for a work permit (for these young illegals), a person must not have any criminal record or have served in the military. In my mind, having served in the military should make a person eligible (although how you can serve as an illegal is beyond me). If someone cared enough to fight for my safety and my rights, then they sure as hell deserve a work or study permit - since this is what this will be - no path to citizenship here. Also, if my taxes went to educating a young person, legal or not, I would like to see those skills used in this country, not elsewhere.

Also, if I am not mistaken, this was an idea that Rubio was working on. This idea is about the only one I can actually agree with, because like everyone else here, I am also extremely agitated when people do not follow the legal channels of immigration. If I had to go through interviews, tests and spending money, then everyone else should too.

As for purging voter rolls - some of the voters taken off the lists were in fact deceased, but several citizens complained of being purged from voter rolls illegally and not being notified. I believe that voter rolls should be maintained and managed properly, but sometimes I get the idea that things like voter roll management and redistricting are used to further partisan causes here (and I include both the republican and democratic parties) . Also, someone who is not as productive as me or who is not as motivated as me to work hard, should not be denied the right to vote.

Please know that I believe that the extreme partisanship here is ridiculous and that we can build this nation of 50 states together. I do believe that illegal immigration must be stopped and that illegal immigrants should not have rights to vote or work. I do believe that there is nothing wrong with requiring proof of citizenship or residency since I had to carry my green card with me for years and it is required of a green card holder. I do worry however that there is no way to prove citizenship after that card has been taken from you at the swearing in ceremony. I have a certificate now and a drivers' license, but the drivers license alone will not prove citizenship. I do not want to carry my certificate with me as proof. In some of the states like Arizona, this is a HUGE problem, since incorrectly detaining a US citizen could lead to huge legal issues for the justice department. I would like to see how that issue would be resolved. If they can do something to make sure citizens are safe from that I could absolutely get behind the legislation.

Also, as my experience with prejudice against me is still so fresh in my mind, I feel some empathy for those of hispanic descent that are citizens that are unfairly targeted and profiled because of appearance and race, since I do not think that white people will be targeted for this type of thing on a regular basis. I cannot stand any form of racism anymore from anyone since reverse racism has absolutely scarred me and a lot of people from my generation. I know that no one here is ranting because of race related issues - please understand that.

• Like 1

Hi Trixie, The best thing to do is apply for your US Passport. Once you have that in hand, you have your proof of US Citizenship Also, you have to apply for a new Social Security card - you keep the same number but the social security records are amended to that of US Citizen. Register to vote. Once those three things are done, you are good to go :) I did not feel comfortable relying just on my Certificate as like you say, if you lose it, it is hard to prove your citizenship. Best to get those three things done for peace of mind :)