Sign in to follow this  
Fiela

Registering With A Gp

Someone want to share some info on doctors and dentists?

I've Google'd it a bit but I got confused pretty quickly.

Dentists first:

I'm quite fanatical about my teeth i.e. dentist visits = religion to me.

Dentists here are quite expensive and most dentists tend to insist that you live in certain areas.

Is it the same there? Or can you register at any dentist in any area?

How much is a visit to the dentist, say for a filling and a clean-up?

Would I need to bring along a copy of my dentist records?

OK GPs:

Same thing with GP, here you're supposed to register with a GP in your area.

We have the NHS (National Health Service) which is government subsidised here so you don't pay for the visit but you pay for medication, well you contribute.

You pay roughly £7 for each item on your prescription, so if you have 3 items then you'll end up paying around £21, regardless of the items.

As I have asthma I tend to get regular prescriptions for inhalers so this tends to get pricey - depending on the season, some seasons are worse for asthma...

So how does it work in the US?

How much do you pay for going and seeing a GP for a checkup or something, and how much is medication?

Again, is it necessary to bring along medical records?

Thankee ;)

PS: Oh and is it different across states / places or are costs pretty much equivalent?

Edited by Fiela

Someone want to share some info on doctors and dentists?

I've Google'd it a bit but I got confused pretty quickly.

Dentists first:

I'm quite fanatical about my teeth i.e. dentist visits = religion to me.

Dentists here are quite expensive and most dentists tend to insist that you live in certain areas.

Is it the same there? Or can you register at any dentist in any area?

How much is a visit to the dentist, say for a filling and a clean-up?

Would I need to bring along a copy of my dentist records?

OK GPs:

Same thing with GP, here you're supposed to register with a GP in your area.

We have the NHS (National Health Service) which is government subsidised here so you don't pay for the visit but you pay for medication, well you contribute.

You pay roughly £7 for each item on your prescription, so if you have 3 items then you'll end up paying around £21, regardless of the items.

As I have asthma I tend to get regular prescriptions for inhalers so this tends to get pricey - depending on the season, some seasons are worse for asthma...

So how does it work in the US?

How much do you pay for going and seeing a GP for a checkup or something, and how much is medication?

Again, is it necessary to bring along medical records?

Thankee wink.gif

PS: Oh and is it different across states / places or are costs pretty much equivalent?

You can go to any dentist or doctor

Dentist usually you have insurance ( dental plan) that covers you for $1000.00

you still have to make co payments $30.00 or someting like that.

the cover allows you to see the oral hygenist every 6 months + check ups

if you need a crown done - I just had a crown done and had to pay $481.00 out of my pocket the dental plan only pays around 50% of the cost.

visiting your GP there is a co payment of $20.00 over and above what you health insurance covers.

medicine is expensive and you generally have to pay an additional $20.00 to 35.00 co payment on medicine per item. There are also a lot of Generics that you can get at your local Safweway / supermarket pharmacy

eg hypertension tabs $4.00 some asthma rx is only $10.00 co pay

you don't have to have your old records.

This should be an interesting topic to watch and I hope you post feedback about your experiences Fiela. You are about to enter the interesting place that is US healthcare. And coming from the UK with NHS I'm betting its going to be interesting.

You have a few choiches here. You will probably receive some sort of medical benefit plan from your employer. This will allow you to go to a doctor, get checkups, emergency room treatment etc. The general stuff. Depending on the plan you will have to make a co-pay when seeing the docter or getting prescriptions filled. Like Oscar said, it could be anything from $4 to $30. I pay on average $25 for a doctors visit and about $15 for a prescription. All good. However, you will be constrained to certain docters, medical facilities etc. depending on your plan. Also, you plan will have likely have anual limits that if you exceed, you get to pay. A recent accident that resulted in a loved one getting surgery etc. cost me more than $10,000. And I have a PHENOMENAL medical plan, no joke.

Also, most employer benefit plans do not always include dental or vision. You need to supplement that insurance by buying your own. The healthcare you will receive here is excellent. The system it functions in, is not.

If you are self employed or your employer does not offer any benefits then you are responsible to buy insurance to cover you requirements. And like anything, what you pay is what you get.

Thanks for the info!

It makes more sense now.

You will probably receive some sort of medical benefit plan from your employer.

This is where it gets hairy.

After moving over to the US, I'm staying with my current employer, which is a UK company, so they won't offer any US medical benefits...

The plan is, as they enable me to work from anywhere (as long as the internet exists there) I'll stay with them until I find something equivalent (or better) in the US - which might never happen as I like my job and the company I work for....

But all that means I never get to experience the US job interview! :P

And it means I'll have to look after healthcare myself, which sounds scary and expensive looking at some of the amounts you've quoted!

Also, most employer benefit plans do not always include dental or vision. You need to supplement that insurance by buying your own.

I presume I'll be able to find a competitive plan that covers it all i.e. health, dental, vision?

The vision plan is really not worth it and the benefits are minimal.

You will find the stand alone plans very expensive for healthcare, it's best to get it through your employer.

Regarding dentists

the cost for an oral hygenist consult is $65.00 without dental coverage. I go every three months and the dental plan only covers two visits per year exactly 6 months apart.

Try to negotiate a deal some dentists offer new patient specials.

http://www.rockvillesmiles.com/offers.html

Edited by oscar

Nice one, thanks for the link.