Sign in to follow this  
JozzieGal

American Equivalent Of A 3Year Technikon National Diploma

Hi everyone,

I discovered this site http://www.evaluationworld.com/

Was wondering if it was worth looking into? Has anyone used them or a similar site?

Also does anyone have an idea what a ND or Btech equivalent would be in the US? I hold a ND in Information Technology (Software Development) and I'm currently working in the online makerting sector.

As I understand it ... In SA a ND is similar to a Bachelors - although oriented towards practical application and Btech similar to a University Bachelors (honours).

I'm working towards getting an H1B visa via my company as well as entering the DV lottery but I do not want to put all my eggs in one basket. So I'm also trying to apply for jobs myself with the help of my uncle in the US.

Sorry for the long winded question :-) any advise would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

As I understand it ... In SA a ND is similar to a Bachelors - although oriented towards practical application and Btech similar to a University Bachelors (honours).

Not really.

Diploma is 2 years, Bachelors degree is 3 years, Bachelors degree with Honours is 4 years, pretty much universal everywhere - in most of the 1st world anyway :P

A Diploma is still a Diploma, irrelevant of whether it took 3 years or more.

Edited by Fiela

Not really.

Diploma is 2 years, Bachelors degree is 3 years, Bachelors degree with Honours is 4 years, pretty much universal everywhere - in most of the 1st world anyway :P

Thanks for responding Fiela.

I get what you're saying ... But I have to differ. The National Diploma I did was at a Technikon and took me three years. Yes I do agree that when most people think of a diploma they think of a two year type. It's a common misconception. According to the SA Qualifications Authority Bsc CompSci and ND IT share the same NQF level 6.

And if you do a Btech - which I'm doing currently - you can study towards a Masters at a University Msc Comp Sci for example.

According to the SA Qualifications Authority...

Not sure how far that flies anywhere outside of SA to be honest. Not even sure if it means much INSIDE SA. Is there still anyone left in SA with any real education?

:P

Just kidding of course.

And if you do a Btech - which I'm doing currently - you can study towards a Masters at a University Msc Comp Sci for example.

Entry requirements have changed pretty much everywhere. You used to have to have a Bachelors with Honours to get into a Master's program, and a Bachelors Honours 1st class (or Cum Laude) degree or a research Masters to go straight into a research PhD. You can now jump straight into a doctoral with just a lower Bachelors. So yeah I know all that, I spent enough years in total at uni ;)

I was responding to your equivalency question.

Doesn't really matter what "most people think of a diploma", a Diploma is still a Diploma and a Degree is still a Degree.

It's not about which counts more or less, it's about it is what it is.

Hope what I meant is a bit clearer ;)

Edited by Fiela

I was responding to your equivalency question.

Doesn't really matter what "most people think of a diploma", a Diploma is still a Diploma and a Degree is still a Degree.

It's not about which counts more or less, it's about it is what it is.

Hope what I meant is a bit clearer ;)

Ah I see. :( that's quite depressing. I guess the only thing I can do is plough ahead with my Btech. At least it would be considered a Bachelors at first glance. And if luck's on my side study in the US.

Guest Boer08

Not really.

This is not true in the USA. Bachelors degree is 4 years.

Our associates degree is about = to SA bachelors, and our Bachelors degree = Honours degree in SA. Lot of jobs will specify 4 year bachelors required...

Edited by Boer08

Our associates degree is about = to SA bachelors, and our Bachelors degree = Honours degree in SA. Lot of jobs will specify 4 year bachelors required...

Thanks for clarifying Boer08

Correct me if I'm wrong ... as I understand it once I complete my Btech this year, I have what would be considered a 4year Bachelors as it took me four years to complete. :)

In your experience did you have your SA qualifications accredited to a US equivilant - assuming you went over with SA qualifications.

This is not true in the USA. Bachelors degree is 4 years.

Spot on, up till recently.

But that has changed mate.

http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2010/09/27/umass_amherst_to_offer_three_year_degree_program/

Edited by Fiela

Guest Boer08

Thanks for clarifying Boer08

Correct me if I'm wrong ... as I understand it once I complete my Btech this year, I have what would be considered a 4year Bachelors as it took me four years to complete. :)

In your experience did you have your SA qualifications accredited to a US equivilant - assuming you went over with SA qualifications.

I know they will evaluate your degree and let you know if your BTech is equivalent to a 4 year Bachelors in the US. I think there are a few members here that has been through the process. I came over with no qualifications and did my Associates, Bachelors and currently busy with my Masters.

You still need the 120 credits so you can do it in one year if you want. That's why the article state that students will have to add online and summer classes in order to complete it in 3 years. I did my Bachelors the same way by taking 22 credits per semester, which is 7 classes. But I still hold a 4 years Bachelors degree.

Edited by Boer08

Thanks for all the info guys. :) Wrote my final paper for my Btech and waiting on results. If I pass I guessing I'll continue with an Mtech.

Have a great day!

I have a B Tech Degree from Cape Tech and when I had it evaluated it was on par with a Bachelors Degree here, However if I wanted to do a Masters here I would have to do some extra courses in order to qualify for the entrance requirements.

Hope this answers you question

Oh yes and by the way - there are different types of evaluations - one is work related and the other is if you need your qualifications evaluated for study purposes. The university I work for uses an outside agency that evaluates qualifications and I must say in most cases they have not had any problems with degrees coming from SA. I do know that for IT they do require additional courses if you are going to study

Edited by lambg