Sign in to follow this  
evyn

Cost To Ship A 20' Container

We have opted for sending only a few boxes across. After getting numerous very expensive quotes from all the various removal companies, we found Seven Seas Worldwide. They deliver an excellent service (friends used them) and will ship the boxes there at a fraction of what the others quoted us. Around R15000 for 20 boxes, which isn't too bad in my opinion.

My question though, which I hope someone can answer, is how do I know what is treated and untreated wood? We aren't supposed to be sending anything across which has untreated wood. For example I have a biltong slicer made of wood. It's varnished and in my opinion 'treated', but how do I know? I'd rather leave it here than have my whole box confiscated or having hassles with it. Oh and of course I won't take any of the biltong that goes with it :D

We had no problem with timber goods. Our container was diverted to US Wildlife in Atlanta, due to Biddulphs not including necessary documentation for some wildlife goods, hides and a sjambok which is a CITES item as it is hippo hide and a few other items. We had numerous African carvings in our container which the authorities were not concerned with. Our container was released once the paperwork was in place, but the whole exercise ended up costing us about $2600 for the diversion to Atlanta. To answer your question I would not worry about Biltong slicers etc., pack it.

Ah ok thanks gmdbn, good to know. We have some other items too which I now feel more comfortable packing!

Any doubts check with KZN Wildlife.

• Like 2