Sign in to follow this  
twiggs

Food From Sa

Hey all

So things are coming together here in the states for me and the family. We are pretty settled just need to still get my driving license (been driving with me SA one and haven't been stopped yet). In Saratoga Springs, NY it is f-ing chillies at the moment.

We are looking for some good old SA products (Oros, Tex, lunch bar) the chocolate here is not proper chocolate. Can anyone tell me a good place to order SA products from?

Thanks

Twiggs.

P.S. I made a biltong drying box so we can at least enjoy that

We order from Cape Food & Beverage in Atlanta.

They run a special from time to time where orders over $70 are shipped for free. Shipping normally kills any good price on offer. So, we "join forces" with some friends and place a large order.

I get my chocolate from World Market.... here in Lafayette they stock Aero and Crunchie (my favorites) plus the usual Cadbury Top Deck etc., :D

Look up some of the British shops in your area too.

They have most of the chocolates that we miss.

Walmart also carries some (UK) Cadbury chocs and our Walmart has even had Liquorice Allsorts on occasion.

See if you have ALDI (aldi.com) in your area.

They have some good German chocolate and I find all sorts of groceries that I miss, every now and then.

Walmart have Milo in the Hispanic isle and the price is not too bad either.

Bev

I get my chocolate from World Market.... here in Lafayette they stock Aero and Crunchie (my favorites) plus the usual Cadbury Top Deck etc., :D

Yes, the chocolates are made at Cadbury's, Harrower Road, Port Elizabeth. Always gives me a smile to see that. I've also recently found Mrs Balls, Peppadews and Nandos Sauces at World Market (stuck on bottom shelves, but still).

I used the African hut the Biltong wasn't so bad, but I still miss biltong from Brakpan, its not the same. Where I live we have a Nandos in Annapolis so that was a big bargain for me I was so happy when the lady said would like "CHIPS" with your order instead of fries boy!! I tipped her more than 20% just because of that it made my day.

Just a question, one of my friends will be coming to visit can't she bring me just one pack of biltong (kilo) with her, I was not addicted to biltong back home but now it is all I think about. Are you allowed to bring just a pack with you in your hand luggage?

Has anyone received a gift pack from SA with spices, knorrox and mainly dry products? and did anyone experience any problems? response will be appreciated cause my sister wants to send something with no meat or milk products.

This is my fourth month and everyday has been interesting.

Eli

No Biltong is allowed at all. I would not mind some kudu or springbok biltong.

Your family can send you spices, but shop around you may be able to get a variety of goods at the world market.

or try

http://www.serengetionline.com/

http://www.southafricanfoodshop.com/

Also for good strong mustard

http://www.aussieproducts.com/

Edited by oscar

Nee man Eileen, hoe kwyl my mond nou vir daai Crunchie!

Haven't had a Crunchie in years and years... This was our staple at university. We would study like crazy till late at night, meet in a friend's room, make Milo, and then we'd nibble off both ends of a Crunchi and suck the milo through the rest of the bar. Yep, quite a calorie bom, but oh so delish. And such a great reward!

What on earth is FTW? (Ek is maar plat - ken nie al die goeters nie!)

I NEVER ate Pronutro in SA ever, but think I would dive into it now! And ai, I'd love some Bokomo Weetbix. Auntie Trix advertised it so well so many years ago...

What on earth is FTW? (Ek is maar plat - ken nie al die goeters nie!)

What does FTW mean?

The acronym FTW became famous primarily because of the bike and motorcycle forums. In a number of on-line gaming forums, you will notice that this acronym is used quite frequently. Well! FTW now stands for "FOR THE WIN". It is an Internet way of expressing enthusiasm. FTW is often used as a rallying cry while playing on-line computer games, such as, ‘World of Warcraft’.

Previously, FTW had an obscene meaning, however, the internet era gives a new meaning the the word. FTW implies the same as ‘This is the best’, ‘It cannot get better than this’, ‘This item will make a big difference, I recommend using it’. However, the FTW acronym is now used widely in almost all areas, including food and diet. An example of it would be ‘low card diet, FTW’. FTW also provides applause for a process which was completed in a successful manner.

FTW in modern times originated from Hollywood game show ‘Squares’. In this TV game show, the result of a player's response is expected to win the game.

What FTW meant Previously?

The FTW meaning in olden days had a negative and obscene context to it. It was often used by rebels, anti-authoritarians and anarchists to express their frustration about the system. However, now the acronym FTW, stands for 'For the Win' and the previous connotation has totally faded almost into oblivion.

What Else Can FTW Mean?

Now comes the question, what does FTW stand for other than For the Win? Here is the list of what FTW can stand for.

•Family Tree Maker data files have the extension FTW.

•F.T.W, this was a name of a film released in 1994, about an ex-con, who was a rodeo rider.

•Fort Wayne, this is a city located in northeastern Indiana.

•The IATA code for the Fort Worth Meacham International Airport is FTW.

I hope with this article the question ‘what does FTW mean’ has been answered. Hey, just before I close the antonym of FTW is FTL. FTL stands for opposite of what FTW means. I am just playing with words. FTL stands for 'For the Loss'.

What on earth is FTW?

FOR THE WIN = BEF*K!!!

Min of meer :D