Sign in to follow this  
Tieda

Texas Drivers License

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie on the forum ! We have been living in Australia since 2009 and we are moving to Houston in 4-5 weeks time.

Before we leave Sydney we will apply for our International Driving Permits from the NRMA (National Roads & Motorists' Association of Australia) which would allow us to drive in the US.

We are planning to settle in Houston, TX.

Does anyone perhaps know of a good driving school that offers Adult driving lessons?

From what I have read on the internet, it seems like I will have to do BOTH the written as well as the practical Exams..... :unsure: ..... I am so scared to drive in the US !!! I am really stressed out

about this and hope that someone will be able to give me some advice on how I could go about getting my Drivers License.

Your help & advice is much appreciated !

Hi there and welcome!

it seems like I will have to do BOTH the written as well as the practical Exams

Correct.

I recently got my California drivers license, after going through it all even though I have a UK and Irish drivers license for car and bike.

You initially do a written test.

You get 3 goes at this (although in my opinion anyone who fails this should NEVER be allowed to drive...)

I'd suggest you study up on the drivers handbook which contains all the content you'll face in the written test.

Only takes about 15 mins. You can book this online.

Once you passed this you'll get a temporary license (piece of paper) which is valid for a short period.

You need this because it has a number on it which allows you to book your actual drivers test.

This test is also easy if you're a good / compitent / confident / capable driver - if you're more of the nervous types then I'd recommend you take a few lessons, even if it's just getting used to driving on the right hand side of the road. I recommend you drive for at least a month or so before you take the test.

If you pass your drivers test you should get your new license in the mail about 30 days later.

Good luck at the DMV (where you go for both tests).

DMV's are FUN places :lol:

It is different from state to state, we also had to do both test in Tennessee but you do your driving test directly after your written test if you pass. The written test is a 30 multiple question test done on a pc and they provide the study materials. Our driving test was not even 5 mins long and we just drove down the street, around the block and back. They also issued us our licenses the same day. Best advise is to go to the Texas DMV website and read up on it or maybe the folks from Texas can give more advice. Oh, we also did not have to make an appointment. You just wait in line until it is your turn.

Edited by C185

As C185 mentioned above, it a computer or written test of your choice, followed by a 10 minute practical test. Parallel parking is what catches most as in the USA there is not much parallel parking needed. Check this site out TX_DPS

Here is the handbook. Most of the stuff you already know and it is just a refresher.

My road test (in Dallas) was done in a shopping centre parking lot. :rolleyes: They just want to know that you really can drive and are not pulling a fast one. I found the examiners to be very friendly and they are not OUT to fail you.

The computer test is multiple answer type questions and if you have read the book - the answers are obvious. :)

Good luck!

Bev

Handbook

Agree with the others.

The driving test is a breeze and nothing compared to the one in South Africa.

My 'examiner' too was very friendly and the driving test was at most 15minutes.

Be very careful and strictly law-abiding when it comes to

• School-related issues - buses, crossings and speed limits, or

• Anything and everything involving or affecting children and cyclists,

• Pedestrian crossings ("Ped Xings"), particularly at traffic lights - and also wherever and whenever a pedestrian sees fit to cross the road, irrespective of an "official" crossing or not,

• Speed limits in general.

Welcome to Houston! We have lived in NW Houston (The Woodlands area) for nearly seven years and LOVE it here. My teenage daughter took her written (computer) and practical driving test in December and passed first time round on both. There are a number of online prep courses you can do, but the simplest as far as the computer test goes is to learn the book.

Good luck!

Guest Boer08

It took me 4 hours since I walked in to have my license in my hand. As C185 mentioned it's different in every state. I took the multiple choice online exam and had to show them that I can make a three point turn in the parking lot. That was it...

Dankie aan julle almal vir jul terugvoer, ek waardeer dit baie ! Sal beslis 'n draai gaan maak by 'n bestuurskool en vir 'n bestuursles gaan....:)

Vandat ons in Australie is, het ek maar baie min bestuur veral omdat die publieke vervoerstelsels hier so goed werk. Maar wanneer ons VSA toe verhuis sal ek weer agter die stuurwiel moet inklim....:o die senuwees gaan so bietjie knaag aangesien die maksimum spoed op Sydney se hoofweg heelwat laer is as in die VSA. Sien julle een van die dae!!

Gosh, getting a new license will be quite different to my experience.

I had been driving for a long time and just needed to change to the the USA license.

Learning the hand book will still be necessary and I would imagine that the road test, will be a proper road test.

My daughter was very lucky when she went for her license. They are required to do a 3 day theory course before they get their learner's license in SC.

The man who did the course was a South African and he ran a driving school. He took her over the course a few times, gave her some good information and she passed easily.

She did an advanced course with him as well and the lessons she learned, have paid off more than once.

Bev

Tieda, I am sitting at LAX airport reading the forum while waiting for the plane to Brisbane. Driving in the US definitely takes time to get used to, and is very different from driving in Australia (I've been in Brisbane for 4 years now). It feels so strange to drive on the right hand side of the road and to drive a left-hand drive car - definitely something that takes a while to get used to. Also, LA's freeways are quite intimidating - seems like nobody adheres to the speed limit and there are 6 lanes of traffic in each direction. Good luck in Houston... I'm looking forward to driving in good old Aus from tomorrow!

It took me a long, long time to adjust to driving on the "wrong side" of the road. I don't know why, 'cause others take a few weeks to get used to it, but it took me almost two years to feel relaxed behind the wheel. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that my sense of direction is still off kilter.

Superkruz, die ouens maak jou nogal senuatig op die hoofroetes rondom Californië se stede, maar jy sal agterkom dat hulle eintlik heel skaflik bestuur wanneer jy eers gewoond is aan die toestande in Amerika.

In Oregon, just to the North of CA, speed limits are a little lower, but everyone transgresses the law by about 5-8 miles per hour on the highways. And the police knows this, but they are usually happy to look the other way. The authorities had allegedly considered raising the speed limit on Oregon's roads, but because motorists are already "stealing" about 5 miles per hour, they left it intact, otherwise people will simply add another couple of miles per hour to the new limit.

Just last week, I tried to change gears with the arm rest on the door! :rolleyes:

A whole ten years down the line!

My excuse is that I was really tired after a very early morning and a long day at work.

Bev

Getting your drivers licence does vary from state to state, when I first moved to California from SA, I had to do both the written and driving, passed both of them first time. Then when I moved from California to Connecticut, all I had to do was hand in my CA drivers licence and they gave me a Connecticut licence. The thing that took the longest was standing in line waiting to tell them at the DMV what I wanted because Connecticut doesnt let you make appointments.

Dont worry about driving out here, when I first came here someone told me just follow the car in front of you. It has worked for me so far :D