Sign in to follow this  
jeannine

School Size

Back in SA we have always had better experiences with the not-so-huge schools. We've been looking at schools so long (we'll be arriving in Atlanta end of March), and have noticed that most high schools have 2000-3000 students, and even noticed one with 4000+. That is pretty huge! What have been your experiences with high schools of that size? And specifically on the northern side of Atlanta? We are leaning towards the ones with less students (we've noticed one with 800 students), but not sure if that's best either. And yes, we know about school zoning, and are looking for rental houses in areas where we like the schools....just not sure which schools to like :-/

Hi chickabee,

Thanks for that. Yes I know that site - it has some great information. But I'd like to hear about some personal experiences though, and how the smaller schools compare to the bigger ones (especially since there seem to be very few smaller schools).

Jeannine, not sure if you are on Facebook, but if you search there for South Africans in Atlanta a bunch of groups pop up. You might want to join one of them and ask your questions on there.

Facebook search

I'm not sure how many Atlanta members we have here.

My daughter attends a high school 'just up the road' in Greenville, SC.

Our school has about 2000 scholars and she has no problem.

They split the lunch times into 3 lunches and as there are 3 floors, they don't have too much hassle moving about from class to class.

The grades sort of stick together because that is what they are 'trained' to do in the lower grades.

She had a few seniors in her junior maths class last year, but they didn't seem to bother her at all.

High school students also finish at different times depending on how many classes/credits they are doing that year.

Some of them only have 5 classes and finish at lunch time, some do 6 and finish an hour earlier than the rest at 3.30pm. They also start earlier or later depending on how many subjects that they take.

The freshmen always start at 9am in our school and then they can chose an early start or finish in the other years.

Your kids will cope. Their accents are a huge plus when making friends. The American kids think the SA accent is really 'cool'! ;)

My daughter (senior) is willing to chat to them if they would like to contact her.

Bev

Hi Bev,

Thanks a lot for that. I'm a bit nervous about the whole high school in the US thing, cos basically the only reference we have is from the movies....and that's not always a pretty picture (bullying, cliques, teasing, etc.). But yes I know, that's not necessarily reality.

Oh, and the accent thing: my kids don't have a SA accent. They grew up in Asia, and back here in SA everyone thinks they have an American accent! haha

Hi, there

We moved to Oregon just over a year ago and my daughter is currently a Sophomore (Grade 10) in a school with about 2000 kids. Don't underestimate the ability of kids to adapt. In truly South African spirit, they walk in and make it their own. My daughter lost her accent in about 2 weeks. I however cling to it...

She finished Grade 8 back in South Africa, then landed here in February and basically wrapped up the 9th grade (Freshman) at the end of May (within 3 months of arrival...), finishing in the top 5% of her grade. Most South African kids have good work ethic and are respectful.

I would suggest that your kids get involved in every activity they can - they just broaden the horizon and get to know people they would not have come in contact with.

Just one more thing - unless your children are going to a private school, you usually have to attend the school in your school district.

In our case, we first found a suitable school and then looked for housing in the school district.

Good luck (dis nie altyd maklik nie, maar 'n mens bly ook nie altyd dom (oningelig) nie).

Vra gerus as julle nog iets wil weet, ons help graag en dinge lyk baie anders uit die kinders se perspektief!!

Groete,

Boertjie