Sign in to follow this  
Weskusmeisie

Moving To Houston

Hi Everyone!

We (my husband and I) are moving to Houston on May 15th... Can someone please advise us regarding good areas around zip 77079? We are looking for a rental house. Also how does one go about socializing with people...what is the best way? Thank you so much.

Weskusmeisie

[how does one go about socializing with people...what is the best way?

Same as anywhere else?

If you're a social person, or anything like me you'll have no problem; I just go up to anyone and start a conversation about anything. I've met some lovely people, but then again I've also met a few strange ones ;)

In my experience people that live in America (which includes Americans and foreigners) are super approachable & friendly.

Don't expect them to particularly bothered that you're foreign though and save the "...in South Africa <or insert whatever country you're from> we ..." - no one cares. In fact most people here are totally oblivious to the fact that there exists a world out there; who in their right mind would want to live anywhere but here :D

PS: Socializing and making new friends is the most exciting part of moving to a new country.

Enjoy it - you don't need advice!

Edited by Fiela

In my experience people that live in America (which includes Americans and foreigners) are super approachable & friendly.

Don't expect them to particularly bothered that you're foreign though and save the "...in South Africa <or insert whatever country you're from> we ..." - no one cares. In fact most people here are totally oblivious to the fact that there exists a world out there; who in their right mind would want to live anywhere but here :D

Exactly my experience as well. Just blend in and make friends, there are lots of people out there willing to make friends with you, accent or no accent.

If they are interested where you are from ,they will ask.

77079 is Katy area outside of Beltway 8, a very congested area and a night mare with traffic although the I-10 has been upgraded to about a 16 lane highway there is a huge amount of people living in this area. Also called the Energy corridor of the oil industry in Houston. Cinco Ranch is a little further out and worth a look at, Memorial drive runs through this area and is expensive (housing). Leibman's Fine Wines and Food (SA owned deli) is on Memorial drive.

The Texas Potjie Festival is held every Labor Day (1st weekend in September) in Rusk Texas, attended by 700 plus South Africans check out there web-site for more info Texas Potjie Festival

Out in the 77379 area off of Louetta Road is a South African/America restaurant called Peli Peli, worth a visit.

Thank you so much, Fiela. I sure appreciate that a lot.

Same as anywhere else?

If you're a social person, or anything like me you'll have no problem; I just go up to anyone and start a conversation about anything. I've met some lovely people, but then again I've also met a few strange ones ;)

PS: Socializing and making new friends is the most exciting part of moving to a new country.

Enjoy it - you don't need advice!

Durbs, that is very kind of you...thanks so much. Will look into those areas. Also would love to go to the Potjie Festival. How far is it from Houston? Talk soon.

77079 is Katy area outside of Beltway 8, a very congested area and a night mare with traffic although the I-10 has been upgraded to about a 16 lane highway there is a huge amount of people living in this area. Also called the Energy corridor of the oil industry in Houston. Cinco Ranch is a little further out and worth a look at, Memorial drive runs through this area and is expensive (housing). Leibman's Fine Wines and Food (SA owned deli) is on Memorial drive.

The Texas Potjie Festival is held every Labor Day (1st weekend in September) in Rusk Texas, attended by 700 plus South Africans check out there web-site for more info Texas Potjie Festival

Out in the 77379 area off of Louetta Road is a South African/America restaurant called Peli Peli, worth a visit.

Slaptjips, we actually would not like to go out more than 15/20mins travel to 77079 (Dairy Ashford N) if possible.

77079 is in the city, which means expensive. How far are you willing to go out?

How far is it from Houston? Talk soon.

From Katy area it's about a 2 hour 40 minute drive.