Sign in to follow this  
hschutte

What Does Kindergarten Cost?

From what I've heard kindergarten is free in the US. Is this correct? Or can someone give me an idea of what this would cost for a 2 year old to go half day.

Thanks

From what I've heard kindergarten is free in the US. Is this correct? Or can someone give me an idea of what this would cost for a 2 year old to go half day.

Thanks

My son went halfday (8:30 to 12:00) to a Montessorri preschool(2 - 3 year group) and it was $380 per month (2010). But most churches in our area have halfday preschools which I think cost a bit less.

Public school kindergarten is free - but they enforce the rules rather strickly regarding age - the child must be 5 on 1 September of the schoolyear (schoolyear starts mid August).

Great, thank you very much.

Was your son's home language Afrikaans? How did he adapt in a foreign country?

In Californian public schools, kindergarten is free. My daughter(afrikaans) of 3 spoke very little in the first two months at pre-school, but now we can't shut her up. Off topic but very important, if you're still in SA and on your way here, make sure your child's immunizations are up to date and bring the records with you. If you don't have it, he/she will have to get them all again

Thanks for the tip. Luckily her immunizations are up to date and we'll bring her clinic card with us as proof.

I paid $340/month for 5 mornings - 9 to 12 for my 3yr old.

My kids were all up to date on their immunizations, but had to have a lot of them again. Apparently in SA we have some vaccinations before the child is 1yr old while in the USA they have to be after 1yr old. One of mine ad theirs at 11 1/2 months and still had to have it done again!!!! They were NOT happy at having 4 and 5 injections at once. Not to mention the Iron test where they 'milk' your child's finger. The 6 and 4yr old now have a definate fear of injections. The 2 yr old is still ok.

Back to Pre-school - take a look at your local churches. A few of them have programs which are not advertised. I have my 2yr old in a school at our local church. She goes twice a week from 9.15 to 11.30. It only costs $50/month. I'm not sure about other states, but Florida has a VPK program (Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten). This is also free and your child has to be 4yrs old by 1 Sept of the school year.

Good Luck

We live in Irvine, CA and my daughter is in a pre-school. The cost is $259 per week full day or $194 per week half day. I have looked at a couple of pre-schools and most of them were about $1000 per month.

Wow, seems like I am paying too much.

The pre-schools in our area are also very full, so I suggest to try getting your child on a waiting list if you can.

We're moving to Long Island, NY on Friday. My daughter just turned 2 and I would like to send her to kindergarten in a few months time. I hope it's not going to cost a fortune! She could use the company of other toddlers and Mommy could use the break, lol. I'd love to go back to work, hope they allow H4 visa holders to work some time in the future!

My son who is 4 months old has just started daycare, we are paying $220 a week!!!! But as he gets older the costs are reduced. We are in Houston.

• Like 1

I hope you now got a better kindergarten for the baby. Children perform better at school when they get good place in their early years.