Sign in to follow this  
Reichette

Finding A Job Seems Not That Easy

We had our Green Cards since early May already. I have since started applying for jobs from this end, but have had abolutely no luck yet. Seems pretty difficult to enter the US job market while still sitting in SA. And there I thought it was going to be a breeze... :blink:

I think it is tough entering any job market if you are in another country.

Good luck with your search though.

Indeed it is - especially in this market. I had the same experience - Green Card in hand, went back to the UK where I was living after landing, and no luck - eventually had to take a leap of faith and just come over anyhow - and even then it took some time.

There are some things you can do to make the fact that you are not in the USA less obvious - buy a Skype USA number etc, so that there is a USA contact number for you (and then put this number on 'forward' to your South African number), and have a .com and not a .co.za email address. Once any interest is expressed, you can explain your situation. However, you may just have to come over..........and wait it out this side.

Indeed it is - especially in this market. I had the same experience - Green Card in hand, went back to the UK where I was living after landing, and no luck - eventually had to take a leap of faith and just come over anyhow - and even then it took some time.

There are some things you can do to make the fact that you are not in the USA less obvious - buy a Skype USA number etc, so that there is a USA contact number for you (and then put this number on 'forward' to your South African number), and have a .com and not a .co.za email address. Once any interest is expressed, you can explain your situation. However, you may just have to come over..........and wait it out this side.

Mmm... good advice, leap of faith being taken in Jan.