Sign in to follow this  
MichaelDuPreez

I Won! Now I Have Questions.

So Ive been entering the DV GC lottery for two years running.

I checked the website on the 16th Of July 2011, and I was notified that I have been selected for further processing. Yay! :D

I never realized the process would be so drawn out, and so complicated. There is certainly lots to do.

I have been pouring over other forum posts to gather as much info as I could get, but I still have two questions.

1) When can I expect the first notification letter? Is it shortly after the draw? Or do they only send the notification letter close processing your 'cutoff group' (I am AF 000 41xxx). I have all my documents and photos ready. Should I send them now? Or do I wait for first notification letter?

2) On the DSP 230 form, under question 10 and 11, they ask for a US address which I dont have. Many forums I have seen people say to mark both of these as N/A for the time being and submit the forms. Only once you arrive at a 'port of entry' is this information taken down, and then that is the address where your green card and SSN will be mailed to. It should be fixed and not change, as this will only cause confusion. Now my question is, for those that didn't have US addresses at this point, what did you do? I don't have any family or friends in the US. Should I try set up a PO BOX online in the state that I'm aiming for and use this address?

Thanks guys.

PS. Already getting cold feet as its one thing to enter the green card lottery, its another thing to know that within a year you could have a green card in your hand, and would need to leave everything behind if you do decide to use the opportunity.

Edited by MichaelDuPreez

Firstly... congratulations. I have been trying since 2006 and finally won this year. :D

I also have the same questions re US address. I have a few family members and friends already residing in US so am planning to use their address details for US mail? Not sure if this is correct though. Maybe someone else who has gone through the process will be able to confirm.

Do you have all your other documents like unabridged birth certificates, marriage, matric certificate etc? It all sounds so daunting but I have made up a checklist of doccies in excel and then just ticking off as I go along. Its actually not very difficult but more frustrating dealing with all the bureaucracy in the SA system - even worse when you residing outside the country as the consular guys have no clue when you ask them about specific stuff.

Once again.... congrats! This has been my dream for a long long time and I cannot wait to finally go.

Hi guys,

Firstly, congrats on your win!! I so wish I also had won... sigh

A word of advice - if you have not already got an unabridged birth certificate, apply for one NOW. We were lulled into thinking Home Affairs had beefed things up because passports are done so quickly now, but birth certificates are done by a different department and right now it is not all computerised and someone needs to physically go into the archives and retrieve the original document... it is supposed to take 8 weeks. It can take much longer. Don't delay, and if you get no joy, go higher up - regional manager contact details on the website.

Hi Michael

First, Congratulations – great to know the most difficult part is behind you – i.e. getting selected. Now for the ‘easy’ part of getting through the process....

To answer your questions:

1) The NL (Notification Letter) is, as of this year, a thing of the past. In prior years, those selected would receive a NL advising them that they had been selected. From this year, these letters are no longer sent out, and the only way of finding out if you are drawn, is the online check. So, don’t worry about NL’s

2) This means, that yes, you should complete the forms as per the instructions and send them in. You will not receive any NL to tell you to do this, as was the case before. You won’t receive any acknowledgement that they have received them etc. (and don’t be in a crushing hurry to send them in, rather take the time you need to make sure everything is fully filled in etc). So the first time you actually will receive anything is not an NL, but the invitation to your interview – and yes, that will be once your number is published as current in the monthly visa bulletin (and with your number, that is likely to be somewhere in the Mar-June timeframe 2012.

3) As for the USA address you can mark this as N/A, and then either add it later at the time of your interview, or not. If you have N/A then don’t select the option for them to automatically apply for and send you your SSN – as they won't have anywhere to send this. Go and do this yourself after you have a USA address. You will, however, have to give an address for you to send your Green Card, so you may want in any case to get an address online – but again, you can add that at the time of your interview if you need to.

Get ready for a very interesting year or so ahead as you get through the process, get your visa, land and get started.

Hi Michael

Get ready for a very interesting year or so ahead as you get through the process, get your visa, land and get started.

Thanks so much Malamute! That certainly cleared things up for me. Makes sense to not tick 'y' on the SSN box then without a US address. I will follow your advice :)

Hi

I entered the Lottery last year and won a spot in the DV2012 group. I entered via USAFIS and now I havea company, DC Law Offices, contacting me for further help, is this necessary to use them?

My situation is the following:

- I am engaged and need to know if we need to move our wedding earlier as I am expecting and interview around May 2012

- I have worked in the US and have a social security already, will this help or hinder me getting the green card

Any further advice would be extremely helpful

Thanks

Hi

I entered the Lottery last year and won a spot in the DV2012 group. I entered via USAFIS and now I havea company, DC Law Offices, contacting me for further help, is this necessary to use them?

My situation is the following:

- I am engaged and need to know if we need to move our wedding earlier as I am expecting and interview around May 2012

- I have worked in the US and have a social security already, will this help or hinder me getting the green card

Any further advice would be extremely helpful

Thanks

Hi MeghanE

Congratulations and welcome.

No, you don't have to use anyone to enter. However you DO need your case number. It will be a number starting with AF (for Africa). Once you have that you download and complete the forms yourself. They are very, very straightforward, and only you have the information. Most people on this board who have won the DV visa have successfully completed the entire process. Use the search function on this board for more information. some prior winners have really, really battled to get their number out of USAFIS, who plan on making further money from you to do something you can so easily do yourself.

As for getting married - that depends when you are currently planning on getting married. I can STRONGLY advise you to get married at least some months - longer if you can - in advance of your interview. What will happen now is that you have to complete and return a DS230 form for yourself. You cannot add your fiance as someone who will get a dependent visa until such time as they are your spouse. As soon as you are married, you must update your application with the dependent form - and allow enough time for that update to reach USCIS etc.

If you don't do this before your interview, only you will get a visa, your fiance doesn't factor into this at all - even if they are your spouse - and won't get a visa. If you have your interview in May, and then subsequently get married, you MAY still be able to obtain the derivative visa for your fiance by filing the forms, getting a 2nd interview etc (making sure that you have the full, unabridged marriage certificate etc). However, if this visa is not granted by 30 September 2012, your spouse will not be eligible for a visa. It is complex to do this, so much, much easier to do it all in 1.

If you don't get a visa for your spouse, you have 2 options:

1) Abandon the thought of even taking up your visa

2) Relocate to the USA on your visa, leaving your spouse in SA. Once you have landed, and become a permanent resident, you can petition for your spouse to join you. Problem is, there is a waiting list. This is currently at 3 years. During that time, you can't just return to SA and not live in the USA,as you will almost certainly lose your Green Card due to abandonment of residency. At the same time your spouse cannot come and live with you in the USA.

So, yes, get married as soon as you can, even if this is just the legal marriage, which will allow you to add your spouse to your application, and do a wedding later (if you want a wedding).

So the first time you actually will receive anything is not an NL, but the invitation to your interview – and yes, that will be once your number is published as current in the monthly visa bulletin.
Do they still send the interview letter via regular mail? My understanding was that everything happens online, ie you have to log in and see whether your interview is scheduled.

Do they still send the interview letter via regular mail? My understanding was that everything happens online, ie you have to log in and see whether your interview is scheduled.

Best to phone KCC when your number becomes current, I asked them to email a copy. My original NL went on an Africa mission and only arrived a week and a half before the scheduled interview date, which would have made things extremely tight as far as medicals go (we had to wait a week for our appointment). Luckily my daughter had matric trials so we rescheduled the interview.

You will have to check online to see when your number becomes current - the same link that you have used to check whether you won. Further instructions will be given then.

Look at the Visa Bulletin http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html to see which numbers are being processed in a particular month. November will come out in a few days. My guess is that 13000 is the cut off for November.

Hi All

I see the forum has been very quiet so I thought I would post some of my questions.

I have been watching the cutt off numbers, as ours is 56xxx I am assuming that our number will come up in June. (Hoping)

After reading all the posts on the forum it seems to me like if you have all your ducks in a row they will grant you a green card... Am I being to optimistic?

Our situation is the following:

I have lived in the States, have a SSN and FBI Clearance

My husband and I got married on the 25th of Feb 2012 and I have sent all of our documents to KCC and it seems to have been received in good condition.

We have all of our documentation

Marriage Certificate, Matric Certificates, Proof of funds, Birth Certificate, Police Clearance

We still have to undergo our medical closer to the time.

Are we missing anything?

What can we expect?

What are the chances they deny us?

Etc,

Waiting patiently and I think my nerves are getting the best of me,

Thanks so much

I have been watching the cutt off numbers, as ours is 56xxx I am assuming that our number will come up in June.
The may cut-off is 50 000, and judging by the way the numbers have been going, I think you have a very good chance to be current in June.

After reading all the posts on the forum it seems to me like if you have all your ducks in a row they will grant you a green card... Am I being to optimistic?
If your documents are in order, the whole process is a mere formality, and everything should work out well for you.

I have lived in the States, have a SSN and FBI Clearance

Where do you live now? If you're still in the USA you will do Adjustment of Status (AOS) and you will get the Green Card after a successful interview. If you now live outside the USA, you have to do Consular Processing and you will get a visa to travel to the USA after a successful interview. You will only be issued the Green card after you have then entered the USA with that visa.

We have all of our documentation

Marriage Certificate, Matric Certificates, Proof of funds, Birth Certificate, Police Clearance

We still have to undergo our medical closer to the time.

Are we missing anything?

Your interview letter will list the exact documents you need to have at the interview, but at the moment all I can come up with is (also see this link for JHB-specific information):

• Ensure that you have UNABRIDGED birth certificates and an UNABRIDGED marriage certificate.
  • Passports (you probably have them, but make sure about its expiry date. It must be valid for 6 months past your intended entry date)
  • You need Police Clearances of all countries you lived in for > 12 months (see here). Don't know how long you lived in the USA, so maybe you would need something in relation to that.
  • Military record (if any of you served in the SANDF)
  • If previously married - proof of divorce
  • One Photo for every person in the application (see photo requirements here)
  • Application fee (see fees here)

What can we expect?

What are the chances they deny us?

• If you search the form you will find a few posts of people giving detailed accounts of their interview - here is one that did it in JHB and here is one that did it in London.
  • From what I have seen on this forum and others very few people are denied. If your stuff is in order, you don't have a criminal record and is fairly healthy, you will most likely be approved.

Edited by Superkruz

Hi Superkruz

Thanks for the response, sorry it's been crazy at work and I am just trying to keep so busy hoping this will make the days go by quicker.

Thank goodness the June numbers have become all current but now I am waiting patiently for my NL to get my interview date. I have had quite a bit of correspondence from KCC via email so don't know if I should email them just to find out or wait it out a bit.

We have unabridged everything and I got myself a new passport to hopefully go with my new adventure :P

I am currently in JHB, actually 5 km away from the Consulate in Sandton, I drive by every morning and see the queue of people waiting to get in...

We are scheduled to go for our medical on the 21st of May and I have managed to find my husband's vaccination records with proof that he has received the DPT and MMR vaccinations, which seemed to be the most important ones. I however do not know where mine are as my mother wasn't very good at keeping records. Hopefully I won't have to fork out more money for vaccinations that I know I have had but if need be I shall do it.

Has anyone had issues like this with their vaccinations?

With regards to our relationship, I saw some posts on proving this, we are submitted a scrapbook with our holiday to the states Dec 09-Jan 10 along with our wedding album, affadavits from my Mother and our friends as well as a Medical Aid tax certificate that shows that we have been on the same medical aid since 2009. Is this enough?

Proof of funds wise, we have managed to save quite a bit of money and have put it into my Share Portfolio. I have also done a spreadsheet that add's up all our savings, shares, retirement annuity, provident fund payouts etc less our expenses and then divided it by 8 to try and get to a relative dollar amount. Further more I showed how much we will have for a 12 month period if neither of us work and this is around $4000 per month. Is this enough?

I did figure out that my police clearance has expired, seems I was to eager last year, so I am resubmitting that. Not to worried about it though as my husband received his after 5 days, best government department.

I found the same photos that I submitted to KCC, and need to find my husbands and then that check is done.

Are the fees for the Visa $440 per person? Just want to check up on that and if they accept cards, don't particularly want to carry cash around.

A slight concern for me is that I was on a J1 visa in 2003, I have completed the 3 year stay away that they require and was given a visitors visa in 2009 for 10 years, I hope the J1 doesn't count against me.

I have been looking at Jobs boards but struggling with how they do resume's as I do CV's...

Thanks guys for being so great on the forum and always helping

Don't know if I left anything out but will post if I think of something else again, ANY comments or advice or anything would be great

Nailbiting wait......

While I was reading Reichette's interview description I picked up on the USAFIS issue, I entered through them but filled in all the forms afterwards myself, my situation has changed as I am now married and wasn't back then. Is this a problem ??? :o

Hi MeghanE

Refer to this forum DV Lottery page 2 under topic "Know the costs" http://www.sausa.org/index.php/topic/7234-know-the-costs/. This was a breakdown of our costs but just adjust for your family, we are a family of 6. We had to do all our vaccines again as we had fallen behind or not bothered with ours or something. As for your financials you have put it together well enough so you will not have a problem. As for visa payments, we did not want to carry that much cash and split our payments between cards and cash, no problem. I too had a previous J1, it was never mentioned as a problem. Don't be concerned about the long queue at the emabassy as it works according to your interview time. You will be fine as it seems you are organised, and thats the key.

Hi Superkruz

Thanks for the response, sorry it's been crazy at work and I am just trying to keep so busy hoping this will make the days go by quicker.

Thank goodness the June numbers have become all current but now I am waiting patiently for my NL to get my interview date. I have had quite a bit of correspondence from KCC via email so don't know if I should email them just to find out or wait it out a bit.

We have unabridged everything and I got myself a new passport to hopefully go with my new adventure :P

I am currently in JHB, actually 5 km away from the Consulate in Sandton, I drive by every morning and see the queue of people waiting to get in...

We are scheduled to go for our medical on the 21st of May and I have managed to find my husband's vaccination records with proof that he has received the DPT and MMR vaccinations, which seemed to be the most important ones. I however do not know where mine are as my mother wasn't very good at keeping records. Hopefully I won't have to fork out more money for vaccinations that I know I have had but if need be I shall do it.

Has anyone had issues like this with their vaccinations?

With regards to our relationship, I saw some posts on proving this, we are submitted a scrapbook with our holiday to the states Dec 09-Jan 10 along with our wedding album, affadavits from my Mother and our friends as well as a Medical Aid tax certificate that shows that we have been on the same medical aid since 2009. Is this enough?

Proof of funds wise, we have managed to save quite a bit of money and have put it into my Share Portfolio. I have also done a spreadsheet that add's up all our savings, shares, retirement annuity, provident fund payouts etc less our expenses and then divided it by 8 to try and get to a relative dollar amount. Further more I showed how much we will have for a 12 month period if neither of us work and this is around $4000 per month. Is this enough?

I did figure out that my police clearance has expired, seems I was to eager last year, so I am resubmitting that. Not to worried about it though as my husband received his after 5 days, best government department.

I found the same photos that I submitted to KCC, and need to find my husbands and then that check is done.

Are the fees for the Visa $440 per person? Just want to check up on that and if they accept cards, don't particularly want to carry cash around.

A slight concern for me is that I was on a J1 visa in 2003, I have completed the 3 year stay away that they require and was given a visitors visa in 2009 for 10 years, I hope the J1 doesn't count against me.

I have been looking at Jobs boards but struggling with how they do resume's as I do CV's...

Thanks guys for being so great on the forum and always helping

Don't know if I left anything out but will post if I think of something else again, ANY comments or advice or anything would be great

Nailbiting wait......