Sign in to follow this  
Bobotjie

We Want To Go Back

Tough decision, but understandable. Often think it is harder to feel truly at home here when you come single shingle than with a family.

But.....just because you are heading back to SA, doesn't mean you shouldn't visit us here on the board from time to time.

Good luck with the whole move - at least you now have that passport in hand!

Good luck and enjoy the new adventure, dude!

Hope everything goes smoothly and don't forget to check in on us and keep us updated on life back in SA. We're long overdue for a fresh, thoughtful and sober view on life back in SA from such an invaluable and insightful member like yourself.

Don't be a stranger or forget to write while you're gorging yourself on biltong and bathing in that awesome African sunshine...

Tough decision, but understandable. Often think it is harder to feel truly at home here when you come single shingle than with a family.

But.....just because you are heading back to SA, doesn't mean you shouldn't visit us here on the board from time to time.

Good luck with the whole move - at least you now have that passport in hand!

You're quite right about doing it alone - it makes it very tough. I will definitely still log in to SAUSA. It has become a daily routine so I can't see that changing overnight. I wonder whether there are any people back in Pretoria (on their way to the USA) who want to get together to talk about their move etc. I know the SAAustralia forum has such "coffee clubs".

Don't be a stranger or forget to write while you're gorging yourself on biltong and bathing in that awesome African sunshine...

Now you're talking - I can't wait to have some authentic biltong.... and my favorite, klipdrift & coke.

Edited by Superkruz
  • Like 1

To add my voice to what everyone else has said...good luck with it. I seem to recall you were always kind of leaning this way, get your citizenship then leave? At least you have 2 other options now. Good luck with it and yes keep visiting us!

Also I must agree, at middle age or thereabouts making the move on your own is hard. I love it here, but I have my family with me,I have close friends both old and new close by, other family not too far, and weather that pretty much approximates what we had there. I realize we are among the luckier in moving to such an environment on the other side of the world. I think it would have been very different moving on my own to somewhere I didn't really know anyone.

Best of wishes to you!

If I recall we came across more or less around the same time (we landed Dec 2011). I've never visited SA since and would also appreciate your views after you have found your feet back there.

At our first SA braai here in Dallas we met people who'd been here for 15, 20 and even 25 yrs already. It struck me that the picture they had of SA was much influenced still by the time era in which they left the country (which they all thought was pretty bad! Lol). But that was also the day that I realized that one day I'll probably become like one of them too: having lost touch of what it is really like on "ground level" in SA in the current day.

Yes, I arrived 2 months after you. I have been back to SA quite frequently so I have a vague idea of what it's like but I guess living there full-time will be a new experience after having been away almost 10 years. I won't be surprised if my friends and children are "too busy" to spend time with the old man and I might end up disillusioned, but I feel this is what I must do at this juncture in my life, for better or for worse.

Edited by Superkruz
  • Like 1

Wow! it must have been a hard decision to go back. I'm sure SA can't be that bad, if you have a job and friends and family are around for support. Please keep us updated what is required by the IRS when you return to SA ? Do you stop filing tax returns ?

What about going back to Australia ... was that an option ?

Please keep us all up to speed on returning to SA after an absence of ten years.

All the Best for the future!

Superkruz, wanneer ek terugdink aan jou bydraes hier op SAUSA, dan vermoed ek dat só 'n besluit reeds lankal in jou agterkop gebroei het.

Alle sterkte met jou planne en geniet daardie Klippies 'n Coke (met eish), biltong en vleispasteitjies! :)

On a slightly related topic, I see for the second time in a few days the N2 around the airport in Cape Town has been closed due to protest action around the local elections - this in addition to the closure a few weeks ago when the taxi drivers were protesting uber. We are going back for a visit and arriving a few days before the elections. Should be interesting to see what is happening...

First day http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/buses-burnt-in-protest-on-n2-near-cape-town-airport-20160629

Second day http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/n2-near-cape-town-airport-closed-due-to-protests-20160701

Edited by SJ27

The N2 is a ongoing problem. My brother has to travel on the N2 and there is often all sorts of car stoning's and dropping of vibracrete slabs on to cars. Always be careful when approaching the cross over bridges. it's sadly, a part of the daily life living in Cape Town.

The N2 is a ongoing problem. My brother has to travel on the N2 and there is often all sorts of car stoning's and dropping of vibracrete slabs on to cars. Always be careful when approaching the cross over bridges. it's sadly, a part of the daily life living in Cape Town.

Actually it was one of the factors that finally persuaded my husband to move - we needed to go to a funeral in Somerset West but there were buses being burned on the N2 so we had to find a safer route.

Most of the bridges now have fenced railings to prevent people throwing things off them though.

And to be fair - if sad - there are protests happening just about every day somewhere in SA, but it doesn't even make the news much and just becomes background noise, until it happens somewhere that it affects you.

I wish you all the best on your return to SA. Your posts have always been interesting.

I don't comment on posts so much anymore, but I pop in regularly to keep up with the chatter.

I feel that I am in that no-man's land of having been here for quite a while, (16 years) but all the immigration processes have changes so much that my input is no longer valid.

We were caught up in the 9/11 drama and had to wait a long time for PR, but citizenship is just around the corner.

Good luck and as others have said - please do let us know how you get on and settle back into life in SA.

Bev

Wow! it must have been a hard decision to go back. I'm sure SA can't be that bad, if you have a job and friends and family are around for support. Please keep us updated what is required by the IRS when you return to SA ? Do you stop filing tax returns ?

What about going back to Australia ... was that an option ?

Unfortunately the IRS doesn't give a damn where one lives and earns income - I have to continue filing Federal taxes in the USA for ever.

Yes, Australia was an option but since my son has also moved back to SA from Australia I decided that I want to be closer to my children.

I don't have a job there so I will bite the bullet and hope for the best in that regard.

Superkruz, wanneer ek terugdink aan jou bydraes hier op SAUSA, dan vermoed ek dat só 'n besluit reeds lankal in jou agterkop gebroei het.

Absoluut!

• Like 1

Good luck Superkruz. I will be following you back to SA in about 8 months. I simply cannot sustain this level of unemployment any longer.