Sign in to follow this  
Candidate

University Issue

My daughter graduated from Stellenbosch University last year with a B Sc in Human Life sciences majoring Psychology. She has 4 distinctions and a collection of B and C symbols. She had a interview today with Chapel Hill University and has been told to literally start again. She wanted to do her post grad and now it looks like her degree is worthless and she needs to catch up 8 different subjects to get onto the post grad degree. Is it just Chapel Hill being pendantic or has anyone else experienced this? Now my child wants to return home and continue her degree and just stay in SA as she may not be able to work here.

We are devastated!

Anyone else with a similar experience and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Kathie

Kathie,

While some universities may evaluate her degree differently, and therefore require fewer credits/subjects to admit her to a post grad program, remember that an SA degree is not equivalent to a USA degree.

In the USA, a Bachelors degree is a 4 year course of study, not a 3 year course as in SA. A South African Honours degree (i.e. with the 4th year of study) is usually considered more the equivalent of the USA Bachelors degree, although some additional credits might still be required before being admitted to the USA University post-graduate - i.e. Masters programme.

In SA, your daughter would in any case have to complete her Honours degree - i.e. more study, before being admitted to a Masters Course in SA, and it is no different in the USA - she will have to do more study/credits/courses to qualify to enter the Masters programme here.

So, for your daughter, she could either get stuck in and start earning the additional credits she needs towards the admission to post-graduate Masters studies here in the USA, or return to SA, do her Honours degree - which will take at least a year - before in any case being admitted to a Masters degree course in SA - or in the USA. By doing that she will very likely lose her right of residency in the USA. Perhaps once she is over the disappointment of what the next 2 or 3 years of study will consist of, she will take a longer term view.

There is a few places here that will evaluate and convert your SA degree to equivalent degree here, but I am sure Malamute is right.....As far as I know the only "recognised" university here without problems is UNISA....but that might have changed since as well....

My daughter graduated from Stellenbosch University last year with a B Sc in Human Life sciences majoring Psychology. She has 4 distinctions and a collection of B and C symbols. She had a interview today with Chapel Hill University and has been told to literally start again. She wanted to do her post grad and now it looks like her degree is worthless and she needs to catch up 8 different subjects to get onto the post grad degree. Is it just Chapel Hill being pendantic or has anyone else experienced this? Now my child wants to return home and continue her degree and just stay in SA as she may not be able to work here.

We are devastated!

Anyone else with a similar experience and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Kathie

If your daughter returned to SA and did honours next year, at the cost of 2 airfares she would only be out of the US for 2 x 4month semesters ie no sacrifice to her residency. The other aspect to look at is, if you have only been resident in N Carolina since Jan 2012 you will not qualify for 'in state tution' fees as you have not been resident for a year, the difference amounts to way more than the 2 airfares and she would only start in September 2013 if you wanted to qualify for 'in state'. Control the emotions, turn a few stones over and you may find a few positives.

If your daughter returned to SA and did honours next year, at the cost of 2 airfares she would only be out of the US for 2 x 4month semesters ie no sacrifice to her residency. The other aspect to look at is, if you have only been resident in N Carolina since Jan 2012 you will not qualify for 'in state tution' fees as you have not been resident for a year, the difference amounts to way more than the 2 airfares and she would only start in September 2013 if you wanted to qualify for 'in state'. Control the emotions, turn a few stones over and you may find a few positives.

....or register with Unisa for Honours, which means your daughter won't have to travel back to South Africa at all, but can continue her studies here in the USA.

Guest Boer08

Since Kathie stated that her daughter might not be able to work in the USA, I assume she is on a student visa, which mean that she won't be able to study thru Unisa. You have to be a full time student in the USA attending classes if you are on a F1 student visa.

As malamute said earlier, she is one year behind USA standards for a BS degree, that's why they won't allow her to do her MS, unless the school has a BS/MS program, which allows you to do your BS and MS at the same time.

Edited by Boer08

Thanks everyone. I think Unisa may be the answer. We won a green card in the diversity lottery, so my daughter does not have to worry about the student visa issue.

We knew she would need to do her honours, to achieve the 4 year degree status, but didnt know it was going to be such an issue.

Thanks all, we certainly will look at Unisa and see if she can find some work in the mean time which will help her to make some friends. She is fairly lonely too, so we really

had hoped university would solve that problem...

Does anyone know how long we have to wait for the "green card" to arrive?

Thanks

K

Does anyone know how long we have to wait for the "green card" to arrive?

Mine arrived within 2 weeks

I entered on the 18th, the card was mailed to me on the 25th and arrived a few days later.

Edited by Superkruz

Hi there candidate

Just to add my two cents.....

From someone that works in a university here , I would recommend you rather look at doing the extra credits here than doing an honours degree through Unisa. Unisa is not well recognised here and you may find yourself heading into problems when they need to assess her qualifications again when applying for a masters. Also look at other liberal arts colleges as well as the community colleges maybe some of the credits she could do through them.The cheaper way to do a four year degree here in the US is to do the first two years at a community college and then transfer.

Edited by lambg