Sign in to follow this  
Henry

What Didn't You Like

I do not smoke, but I still find it offensive that smokers in NYC are treated like criminals because they cannot even smoke in designated areas in parks, despite the fact that they pay the highest sin taxes for those cigs and smoking is not a banned substance.

This is a growing trend and is happening in many countries. I don't understand why they just don't ban cigarettes and make it illegal to smoke them - it will make me quit if they did. It seems to me they love the taxes too much.

This is a growing trend and is happening in many countries. I don't understand why they just don't ban cigarettes and make it illegal to smoke them - it will make me quit if they did. It seems to me they love the taxes too much.

You would not be very happy on a New York beach or in a park then. I feel for you. As for your assessment on them loving those taxes so much - I think you are absolutely right.

In the mean time, enjoy your cig wherever you get the chance to indulge smile.gif

My list of likes and dislikes:

1. The fact that our work experience (which is the fact that most SA's are multiskilled) is looked at with awe.

2. The friendliness and nosy-ness of people (here in the Deep South) - just like SA back in the day.

3. The fact that South Africans as a rule are in general more well informed about global matters than the average American (well I guess thats not a like, its more of "proud") ditto number 1. (oops shifting into murky ground here)

4. erm, the freedom of speech, association, etc.

5. the fact that I can walk around at 2am in the morning and not get murdered...badly

6. the fact that I can go and do the sat morn shopping looking like a wino (lol) in my trackpants and tees and not have to wear full make up and a suit with high heels. (tongue in cheek of course, but South africans are very aware of looking their best and putting the best foot forward - always. good thing tho)

Dislikes:

1. The fact that the traffic cops and the normal cops are rolled into one super-badass-cop especially here in the South and they can get lelik with you sometimes. And ohhhh dont let them hear you have an accent on top of it all. Shame.

2. Talk about the word "shame" another dislike - why can I not explain that "shame" means "fooitog" and that Im not telling them that THEY are shameFUL?

2.2 And the fact that your driving tickets can get you locked up? what? back home i know of people with REAMS of unpaid tickets, but they werent bad people, they just had a lead foot, so i know they shoulda been ggod citizens and paid the tickets, but they were still stand up ppl and not criminals to be locked up.

3. The fact that sending home a parcel with lekker goodies and stuff, to your ppl back home is a major traumatic event. I once had posted a package ( a pair of sneakers and candy etc which I sent to my brother) - which first go to MALAYSIA!!! then after countless calls, finally got sent to back to the USA - and then only I could re-post it - by which time my baby brother had outgrown the dang shoes.

4. And do i have to say thiiiirrrrrrty so that they know Im saying 30 and not 50?

5. The fact that many South Africans esp after apartheid, were able to throw off those chains of unnecessary prejudice and hatred - a hatred we ourselves didnt even understand sometimes - and we learnt to love each other. The KLIPDRIFT "Met eish ja.." advert comes to mind and succinctly encapsulates the new SA to me. I love my country for that warmth and will never find it anywhere else. i see that old sad coldness and apart-ness that the race groups have for each other here in Louisiana and I miss SA so much.

6.The fact that Ive filled out many forms with the wrong date bcos the USA doesnt realise that the chronological order of time is ..seconds, followed by hours, followed by days, and THEN only you get months. Gahd!

Okay Im gonna finish and say this. I love the freedom and potential the USA offers, and believe me I wouldnt want to go back to SA, esp the way things are. But what Ive noticed here is that - the lack of balance in some things, like the traffic tickets example, is what makes the experience of living here very confusing, frustrating and downright ridiculous. But you got to take the good with the bad, as the old people used to say. I wish I could go on. But thats it for now. lol. Im sure someone is like "phew koebaai baie praater"

Edited by Gillchan

Hahahaha!

11 years down the line and I still have to pause and think about the date. I don't have to write it very often.
I nearly got the school cafeteria into big trouble with DHEC because I (unconciously) dated everything the SA way.

Luckily the inspector had a silly sense of humour, but I never got to do that job again!
I can still look up after checking my phone in the car and have to stop the scream on my lips because DH or DD is driving on the 'wrong' side of the road!

When you use a word that they don't know and that glazed look appears on their faces. You quickly try to go back in your mind on what you have just said to find the word that they did not understand. My co-workers learnt different words and mimicking my accent when they used them.

Our new TN neighbours think we are sooooo la di da with our accent. He told the other neighbours (we have not spoken to them yet) that the Royals have moved in. They think it is so strange that we have a daughter that sounds like she does not belong to us with her American accent.

Dislikes.

1) The way the dollar is initially milked from you until you get wise to the systems.

2) Cost of car insurance and medical.

3) Having to go online for international news, local news is local unless something major happens.

1) Safety.

2) Wide range of choice in the shops, there is nothing you cannot find.

3) Stability in the of cost of living, not having price increases due to exchange rate volatility.